valve steam

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#46 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 September 2013 - 21:49

I'll be interested when all EA's games are available. Until then, Windows wins.

#47 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 23 September 2013 - 21:50

So yet another distro will somehow fix that? People spent years trying to prop up Ubuntu as the single "main" Linux distro and now here comes a walking hunk of cholesterol saying he's going to cut that off at the knees with a SteamOS.

No people spent any time trying to prop up Ubuntu as a "main" Linux distro, that was entirely Mark Shuttleworth and Canonical's bizarre dream of turning Linux into a weak imitation of OS X/Windows by constantly reinventing the wheel. (Upstart, Mir, Bzr etc)

Valve have one thing Canonical will never have, an install base of millions. That alone gives SteamOS far better chances to make an impact than Ubuntu ever did.

#48 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 23 September 2013 - 22:40

Gaming companies are businesses, if enough people buy into Valve's ecosystem for gaming then the game manufacturers will see it as a viable market for their games which will return a profit and they will build games for it, if not enough people buy into it then only Valve and indie developers will be releasing on it. It's quite a big gamble for Valve.

#49 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:07

This will upgrade my media center PC I use only to watch movies streamed from NAS/PC to a fully functional gaming console as well! Will look into this when it comes out for sure.

#50 WolfSilverLone

WolfSilverLone

Neowinian

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:13

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

Great!!!! Network/internet lag + More home wireless/network lag + input lag + video/Sound lag... Every OCD/ADHD/ADD COD gamer going to love this /s

#51 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:22

one of the designers of frostbite says, the best driver is no driver!

Then how are devices supposed to run? Is this "designer" bonkers?

#52 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:25

well. Ater all these post, I can say : 

1. Still more iinfo to come to form a clear image
  2. Steam O.S is a good thing to have, because it will be compete for something and raise innovation
  3. It is not just game based but for media and general purposes as well
  4. Causality: Having invested so much in linux steam client and having such a vast install base.In addition to the obvious hatred of win8

Moreover, there has been a Ubuntu based distro: dedicated only for gaming.Would Steam O.S be different?

Oh great, so one of SteamOS's hardware requirements can be "A completely separate PC with beefy hardware running Windows on your home network"

Or I could, you know, connect my Windows PC to my OMG LIVING ROOM TV just as easily I could a box running Steam OS.

Good question and no one really answered that.

#53 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:26

Then how are devices supposed to run? Is this "designer" bonkers?

They are refering to "direct to metal" programming, far more powerfull than any API out there... is like programming in ASM for... oh wait!

... this reminds me to "When men were men and programmed their own drivers...."

#54 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:35

I like that it would very likely be easier to deal with than Linux for gaming or anything else.

And it might well be a serious contender for gaming OSes, but short term I'm probably not putting it on anything.

#55 Zedox

Zedox

Neowinian

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:38

I'm trying to figure out the point. Of course I'll wait for more information but for right now...I don't see a point in this. Ok, they make a steambox (we all know it), a configurable gaming console. SteamOS is for your TV...to play for PC games on your TV, wouldn't that mean I would have to move my kb/m to my living room to play certain games? Ok, cool, but then...I could do all of this at my current PC (granted I have 2 40" 1080p tv/monitors). Sooooooo I'm still not getting why I should do this?

Just make another console (which they are) and have exclusives on it...Half Life 3, name some other multiplatform games and call it a day. People will buy it for HL3. All this other stuff...stupid imo.

#56 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:50

Valve has the potential to challenge Microsoft and Sony when it comes to gaming. The XB1 and PS4 are both fixed spec platforms that will age quickly - we've already heard that graphically intensive games like Battlefield 4 will only run at 720p in order to maintain 60fps. Given that performance is an issue now the situation will only get worse. SteamOS will allow manufacturers to produce systems capable of better performance and visual quality. While such systems will be more expensive than consoles to start with the advantage will becomes more pronounced as the years go by, which will be helped by the fact that games are considerably cheaper on Steam than on console.

Valve's best chance is to focus on 4K and make a push into the living room in about four to five years time when the next-generation consoles will be struggling. Microsoft and Sony are both committed to eight year cycles so they don't have much flexibility.

#57 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:50

This could quickly become the dominant HTPC OS if it can get enough games to support it. I'm not going to ditch Windows just yet because it runs SNES and N64 emulators making my HTPC an incredibly versatile machine, but still.

I do wonder what do they mean by performance and latency improvements. Improvements over what, Linux or Windows? Windows drivers are pretty much optimized to death now, I don't think there's much they can do to best that.

#58 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:54

After thinking about this announcement more, I think the big draw to this is not playing games directly from some steam box, but the streaming function.

People are getting all excited about gaming on Linux and a steam box used to play all of these games, but I think what will actually make this interesting is the streaming capability.

I think the reality is that this will be a niche product for quite some time.  Your not going to suddenly convert a bunch of pc gamers and console gamers to a brand new gaming platform.  I'm not convinced that Valve is going to build the SteamOS to be as robust as say Windows for general hardware support and general usage beyond gaming.  That would be costly and very time consuming, so a steam box would basically be like another console, expect that it can also be an extender from your pc. That means that it could be a while before a steam box could stand on its own, having a strong library of games, limiting its appeal.

So the strength in the SteamOS + Steambox would be as a pc extender.  Think about it.  Sony announces the Vita TV, which is a $99 device that can stream ps4 games along with natively playing Vita, etc.  MS has had plans for an Xbox TV device for a couple years that would be the same idea.  So why not have a $99 device that can stream any pc game to your TV.  The draw is that its a relatively cheap device that is small and quiet, easily hidden away at your TV. 

So I think this has potential if its combined with a cheap steambox. As far as being a serious competitor to consoles and pc gaming, that could take much longer to materialize.

One negative that came to mind is the fact that your limited to whatever is out on Steam.  Even if Steam is popular, it does not have a monopoly on pc games.  There are other ways to buy games, games that may not be on Steam at all.  So it acts like a console would, a closed system tying you to what gets put on Steam.  The ideal thing would be a small device that could stream games played on a pc, whether it was via Steam or not. 

#59 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:59

This could quickly become the dominant HTPC OS if it can get enough games to support it. I'm not going to ditch Windows just yet because it runs SNES and N64 emulators making my HTPC an incredibly versatile machine, but still.

Maybe a dominate htpc that is focused on gaming, but I highly doubt it would replace an htpc that is focused on media playback.  Basic things like playing a bluray movie via an htpc, playing back a host of local media formats, being able to tweak the video and audio output with the various tools out there for windows, etc would need to be supported to come close to supplanting windows as the htpc os of choice.  I have a hard time seeing Valve wasting their time building their OS to cater to all of those functions. 

It sounds like they will focus on getting a few streaming media services on board and leave it at that. 

#60 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:53

Maybe a dominate htpc that is focused on gaming, but I highly doubt it would replace an htpc that is focused on media playback.  Basic things like playing a bluray movie via an htpc, playing back a host of local media formats, being able to tweak the video and audio output with the various tools out there for windows, etc would need to be supported to come close to supplanting windows as the htpc os of choice.  I have a hard time seeing Valve wasting their time building their OS to cater to all of those functions. 

With the wealth of available libraries on Linux it wouldn't be hard for SteamOS to provide these functionalities, and in a much more streamlined and integrated way than on Windows. XBMC is great but it doesn't do games, so on Windows you'll always have to juggle with at least two different interfaces. SteamOS has the potential for a truly integrated multimedia + gaming experience that's grandma-friendly. I'd be disappointed and surprised if they missed that opportunity.