Radeon R9 290X Pictured, Tested, Beats NV Titan

I'd be rather disappointed if it *didn't* beat Titan. According to the new nomenclature, R9 290X is their top model. It's supposed to beat it. OC and driver optimization will only add so much to that gap. Unfortunately, it also means that Maxwell will now be seriously rushed out of the door. Now where's that Titan Ultra...

They should informally call it Zeus or something, just to fsck with green people.

What games do we need to push a GPU to the limit, i've only recently started PC gaming i've got a Radeon HD 7750, all games i've played run on max and performance is great, i'm blown away by the graphics compared to my XBOX.. not sure whats left to gain personally by going for a better GPU.

So far the only newer game it's showed slowdown on was Metro Last Light, I had to go in and tweak the settings a bit because i'd get lots of slowdown in the outdoor parts towards the end of the game.  Those have lots of lighting going on and other things and when I'd get swarmed by enemies the framerate would drop pretty low.

So far the only newer game it's showed slowdown on was Metro Last Light, I had to go in and tweak the settings a bit because i'd get lots of slowdown in the outdoor parts towards the end of the game.  Those have lots of lighting going on and other things and when I'd get swarmed by enemies the framerate would drop pretty low.

any game. suck as Metro 2033/Last Night will lose fps on a amd card/intel card. The reason is games like metro last light are built around Nvida Api's,  Anything that has PhysX coded into the game on a amd/ati system will automatic force physX on the CPU since amd/ati doesn't have a physX processor on board the graphics card. With metro last light its best to uncheck Advance PhysX in the video/option menu. and games like Mirrors edge its best to turn them off completely.

it's another reason why I tend to go with nvidia as well.

Though I a bit ****ed off with nvidia about the physX thing to begin with. They should have been sued shortly after buying the physX tech and then closeing it off to only nvidia only cards/Setups.

they should be forced to at lest let people buy and run nvidia cards along side ati/amd cards with out having to use a hacked driver to enabled dedicated physX.

A cheap 640/650 or a 740/750 would make a excellent dedicated physX card along side AMD cards 

any game. suck as Metro 2033/Last Night will lose fps on a amd card/intel card. The reason is games like metro last light are built around Nvida Api's,  Anything that has PhysX coded into the game on a amd/ati system will automatic force physX on the CPU since amd/ati doesn't have a physX processor on board the graphics card. With metro last light its best to uncheck Advance PhysX in the video/option menu. and games like Mirrors edge its best to turn them off completely.

it's another reason why I tend to go with nvidia as well.

Though I a bit ****ed off with nvidia about the physX thing to begin with. They should have been sued shortly after buying the physX tech and then closeing it off to only nvidia only cards/Setups.

they should be forced to at lest let people buy and run nvidia cards along side ati/amd cards with out having to use a hacked driver to enabled dedicated physX.

A cheap 640/650 or a 740/750 would make a excellent dedicated physX card along side AMD cards 

On the flipside: on the BF4 system requirements page it says:

Battlefield 4 is optimized for AMD

As we reported last month, Battlefield 4 will be optimized for AMD cards, seeing as how the next-gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony are both using AMD-based graphics core architecture. While the game will run just fine on Nvidia based graphics cards, those running AMD cards might see a slight advantage. In fact, the relationship between AMD and DICE runs deeper, as AMD will offer Battlefield 4 for free with Radeon graphics cards this Fall.

When the game was showcased at E3 and other events, it was powered by an expensive PC that ran on AMD CPUs and GPUs.

While Battlefield 4 features an improved Frostbite 3 game engine, it also features several optimizations, and it?s unlikely that the requirements will be much higher than BF3. In fact, the recommended Battlefield 4 system requirements require a quad core CPU, 4 GB of RAM, and a modern graphics card with 1 GB of video memory.

Not sure how much the advantage is, does it also apply to other games?

It doesn't go into detail about what 7000 series cards are recommended.. is a 7750 going to be useless?

I chose this card because of it's low profile (in a HTPC box) .. i couldn't find any low profile cards beyond the 7750

to be honest for amd cards I wouldn't go any lower then the x770 for gaming.. and even then x770 cards suck at tessellation games (DX11)

also amd cards for the most part will out preform nviadia in DX11 tessellation. might be one of the reason why bf4 will run a bit smoother on amd cards

and for gaming on a budget x850/x870 seem to be the sweet sport. and for high end amd gaming x950/x970.

nvidia for gaming on a budget x60/x60ti seem to be the sweet sport. and for high end nvidia gaming x70/x80.

cards for people that are really poor they try and get away with ether the x750/x770 or x50/x50ti cards...