• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 OP compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• 8,104 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 24 September 2013 - 16:49

No doubt the same parents who pay 0% attention to what their children watch/listen to the are same ones screaming hysterically about games or music when a tragedy strikes.

#17 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 24 September 2013 - 16:54

As a gamer I do so love my games, and as a mother I love my son.  With that being said, the ONLY games that he is allowed to play around me, in my home, or anywhere else that I have control over are age appropriate games.  Any of the "adult" (such as GTA, CoD, GoW, etc) games are put up and out of eyesight, (out of sight out of mind as far as my son is concerned)and not touched until he has been asleep for quite some time, so that he doesn't have the ability to sneak up in the middle of the night and play things that he knows he's not supposed to.  When we go to buy a new game for him, I allow him to pick it out, but we only buy the ones that are appropriate to his age range....so that limits him to things like Up, Mario, etc.  And he has been fine with that.  When it comes to movies I am a bit more lenient to a certain extent...some like the old mortal combat movies, martial arts movies, but definitely nothing that is extremely graphic.  It irks me to no end when I'm playing a clearly adult game and I hear children playing it.  I have gone so far as to make a fuss over the voice chat until they leave.  I'm sorry but as a parent you have a responsibility to know what your children are doing, and if you are using a video game as a built in baby sitter then shame on you!  I want to choke slam parents that allow children to play games that are clearly not aimed at the young and forming minds of children. 

As a father, I love my kids too.  I don't let the kids play any games that are too violent.  However it is not because I don't want them seeing violence, but it's because I don't want them scared, or thinking it will happen in real life.  I watched World War Z a couple days ago, and my one child sat on my lap.   Obviously there are things I don't want them seeing, not due to the nature, but because they don't understand what is happening, and I don't want them to get the wrong impression.

They are told that video games are a form of entertainment, should not be re-enacted, and that it is not okay to even pretend.  We have a strict no gun rule (no water guns, no cap guns, no pretend guns) so while I play FPS games, they know that it's not okay to do in real life..  

For me, teaching the children right and wrong is much much better than sheltering, or having something that is adult only.  They are curious, and that curiosity is what will cause them to make decisions.  So if I can answer/fulfill their curiosity in a safe and informed matter I will do that.

That said.. I will be doing some game hiding, and such when I get my PS4.  However it is purely because I don't want them knowing I have one and wanting to use it.

#18 jwjw1

jwjw1

Neowinian

• 4,432 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 16:59

...not with only video games, but alot of parents either don't want or don't know how to deal with the tantrums (self-induced for letting them get away with the first ones). You can bet that if Dad is late for a beer meet or Mom is late for a Tupperware party...the child wins every time and responsible parenting becomes a thing of the past.

#19 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,544 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 18:49

Thats not really 100% true, i love violent video games and have all my life.  When I was kid the first bloody game i got was mortal kombat and loved the hell out of killing people in the most nasty way and I watch horror movies when i was like 8 yet I hate violence IRL and i cant be in the same room with blood.

What if I told you...

...you're in the same room as blood right now?

the same body, even? :o

#20 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,226 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 21:32

What if I told you...

...you're in the same room as blood right now?

the same body, even? :o

*GASP*