Apple launches faster iMacs with 802.11ac WiFi, Pro graphics, improved Flas

Except that they didn't design their own CPU and GPU.

Their casing isn't providing performance to...anything.

They have proven you can fit an amazing amount of stuff in a slim spot with their design.  Performance shouldn't even be mentioned.

No, but they did design their motherboards.  And placed them inside these small machines without suffering from overheating.  And last time I checked overheating can affect performance...

Are they selling the same numbers as <<insert OEM>> ?

This really is a numbers game.

1 machine has less chance of seeing failure than 10.

So you're shifting your point from saying Apple isn't as reliable to saying they are because they sell less?

No, but they did design their motherboards.  And placed them inside these small machines without suffering from overheating.  And last time I checked overheating can affect performance...

Apple products don't have heat issues?

I beg to differ.

That is the most often heard complaint I see:  heat.  Check it out, and you will see.

So you're shifting your point from saying Apple isn't as reliable to saying they are because they sell less?

I'm saying that you can't really judge unless dealing with similar numbers.

Example using an extreme case:

I have 1 Dell.  It does not fail.  Failure rate: 0%.

I have 10 Macs.  1 fails.  Failure rate: 10%.

Conclusion:  Dells are more reliable.

Can you accurately judge reliability without using similar numbers?  I don't think so.

Apple products don't have heat issues?

I beg to differ.

That is the most often heard complaint I see:  heat.  Check it out, and you will see.

While we may not agree on some thing, I think we can all agree that this topic has shifted from it's original point long time ago.

I'm not disagreeing that Apple computers have their faults, we all heard horror stories of failure, lack of support and everything else.  I am just saying that Apple has been known throughout industry to make high quality products.  They have come on top of various studies in Customer Support as well as Reliability of their products.

They do have a leg up on other manufacturers as they don't sell as many products so they provide warranty and support to less people.  But that is beside the point that they still make amazing products.

While we may not agree on some thing, I think we can all agree that this topic has shifted from it's original point long time ago.

I'm not disagreeing that Apple computers have their faults, we all heard horror stories of failure, lack of support and everything else.  I am just saying that Apple has been known throughout industry to make high quality products.  They have come on top of various studies in Customer Support as well as Reliability of their products.

They do have a leg up on other manufacturers as they don't sell as many products so they provide warranty and support to less people.  But that is beside the point that they still make amazing products.

Fair enough.

I'm saying that you can't really judge unless dealing with similar numbers.

Example using an extreme case:

I have 1 Dell.  It does not fail.  Failure rate: 0%.

I have 10 Macs.  1 fails.  Failure rate: 10%.

Conclusion:  Dells are more reliable.

Can you accurately judge reliability without using similar numbers?  I don't think so.

Irrelevant if you ask me.  We are judging by the numbers that are there, not hypothetical ones.  We are judging by what the manufacturers sold and how they back their products up.  And this is where Apple comes on top.  Who knows how they would be if they sold more iMacs of MacBooks.

On the other hand, you don't have to go too far to see how reliable Apple products can be when manufactured in higher numbers.  Look at iPods and iPhones. 

Fair enough.

I'm hoping I don't get branded as some brainwashed Apple freak.  When it comes from iMac and Macbook experience, I go by what my friends have owned.  I've only owned iPod and iPhones and never had any problems. 

On the other hand, my custom built PC has also NEVER gave me any problems, and neither has my Lenovo Netbook.  Solid producs.

I'm hoping I don't get branded as some brainwashed Apple freak.  When it comes from iMac and Macbook experience, I go by what my friends have owned.  I've only owned iPod and iPhones and never had any problems. 

On the other hand, my custom built PC has also NEVER gave me any problems, and neither has my Lenovo Netbook.  Solid producs.

Won't be branded by me.

I use a Mac at home.

Won't be branded by me.

I use a Mac at home.

5 years ago my roomate spilled water during the night on his white macbook pro.  Completely ruined it.  So he went to bestbuy, bought a black macbook pro (at the time it was the top model) put his white macbook pro in the box and returned it.

They took it back no problem. 

Just a side story in case it makes anyone laugh...

5 years ago my roomate spilled water during the night on his white macbook pro.  Completely ruined it.  So he went to bestbuy, bought a black macbook pro (at the time it was the top model) put his white macbook pro in the box and returned it.

They took it back no problem. 

Just a side story in case it makes anyone laugh...

I've seen them accept an open music CD case that had a CD-R stuck in it, and give store credit.

The CSR wasn't allowed to call the customer on a lie, that they opened it and it had been like that already.

Nice speed improvements for a AIO but wish they would have multi-touch screens (I know people here think the angle would suck and they probably have smudges but for a AIO with limited expandability at a higher price they should include that stuff)

Couldn't be more wrong.. it's not just about the components, there is more to apples pricing than components.. they have a premium keyboard, mouse, solid aluminium, unique designs, beautiful glass displays and so on, it's all comes at a premium, if non of that stuff does anything for you then yeah you'll think it's over priced but for people than do it's well worth the money for a nice solid quality machine.

Why do you think there is no direct competitor to the iMac?

The keyboard is anything but premium. I've had three die on me for no reason whatsoever. One of them just stopped working. Another had the "s" key die. Another had the space bar die. Took out the keys, cleaned them, nothing. It's pretty, but the worst desktop keyboard I've ever had in terms of reliability.

I laugh every time I see a desktop with WiFi.

What is so funny about this? The way my house is configured, it's impossible to run Ethernet cables to any computer other than the one hooked up directly to the modem. Without Wi-Fi, I'd not be able to get my personal computer online.

Le Sigh.

1) I can't speak for all people but I buy a Mac because first and foremost I like OS X and want it on a supported machine out of the box. There seems to be this hardware fixation as if some how the operating system doesn't matter or impact the over all experience when using a computer which anyone with an ounce of common sense is a load of nonsense.

2) Mac's aren't magically made with any more superior components than similar priced configurations from the likes of Lenovo or some other reputable brand (Acer isn't a reputable brand btw, so to compare a MacBook Pro to a 17inch luggable from Acer is laughable) but they do hold their value for longer so if you're interested in selling and using the money to put towards an new machine then it does help.

3) For me at least until Microsoft fixes up Windows once and for all then I'll keep choosing Apple products over the alternatives that exist out there - Windows is a mess and I've covered it multiple times in the past. Btw, for those people trolling this thread looking for a rise - remember one thing, you're in the Mac area of the forum so how about using some grey matter and realising that maybe you should go back to what ever corner you occupy and stop stirring up drama for the sake of drama.

• Like 3

Le Sigh.

1) I can't speak for all people but I buy a Mac because first and foremost I like OS X and want it on a supported machine out of the box. There seems to be this hardware fixation as if some how the operating system doesn't matter or impact the over all experience when using a computer which anyone with an ounce of common sense is a load of nonsense.

2) Mac's aren't magically made with any more superior components than similar priced configurations from the likes of Lenovo or some other reputable brand (Acer isn't a reputable brand btw, so to compare a MacBook Pro to a 17inch luggable from Acer is laughable) but they do hold their value for longer so if you're interested in selling and using the money to put towards an new machine then it does help.

3) For me at least until Microsoft fixes up Windows once and for all then I'll keep choosing Apple products over the alternatives that exist out there - Windows is a mess and I've covered it multiple times in the past. Btw, for those people trolling this thread looking for a rise - remember one thing, you're in the Mac area of the forum so how about using some grey matter and realising that maybe you should go back to what ever corner you occupy and stop stirring up drama for the sake of drama.

I love that folk think this is something new. Apple`s been doing this for years. The only difference now is that there using more parts based on/or which are off the shelf. Intel processors etc. Apple is not just a tech company, but a designer tech company. They love the idea of a closed loop system of software and hardware, so comparing off the shelve PC hardware to there versions of it isnt exactly fair. They spend a lot of effort of form factor and other design points, a lot more than your component producers.

I personally dont feel this constitutes the daft prices they ask, but I can see how and why there set at what they are.

grand total.  $643

Apple's Asking price $1300

You've posted this more than once, so I guess you felt that you're making a really good point.

For the display you listed, I can't find anything on Newegg or Asus's sites that say that it's an IPS display, so if you go with an IPS display like in the iMac, you're going to have to add another $50-$100. You've also left out (maybe conveniently) a Wireless AC dongle, which a reliable one cost north of $60. Finally, since a $20 upgrade copy of Mountain Lion is useless for that build, you would have to buy a full license for Windows 8 Pro which runs at $139. Yeah, you could settle for a different SKU of Windows 8 that's cheaper, but there are features in Mountain Lion whose Windows counterpart is only available in the Pro edition.

Now you're $643 computer is a $892 usable computer at the minimum. But since you're not a business, you don't have to figure in the cost of things like putting those parts together, installing the OS, paying all of your employees, marketing to put your computer in front of people, keeping the lights on, the water running, etc.

In my adolescent years, I use to run around places like Neowin saying, "LOL APPLE TAX LOL," but it wasn't until I started managing business did I start to understand why companies charge what they charge. 

The only thing "premium" on an iMac, and I have one, is the case, nothing else, the rest are off the shelf parts you can buy on Newegg, if you want to over pay for a fancy case, then by all means do it, but don't make patently false claims about the iMac, you will be called out on them

I think it's funny, maybe even kind of sad, that you spent all of this money on something, and you don't even realize what you have. Was it an impulse buy?

Since you only mentioned the case, the thing you see, I assume that you haven't ripped an iMac open. When yours takes a dump on you, I suggest that you do. I ripped an older iMac open, and the only thing in there that was off the shelf/OEM was the HDD, optical drive (which had been modified so it can fit in the case), processor and RAM. There was nothing Newegg.com about the power supply, logic board, screen, wireless/bluetooth chips, graphics chip, the fans/cooling system, and how all of that stuff is put together to work. So please, follow your own advise about making partially false claims about the iMac before you try to call others out since you just proved that you spend over $1k for some thing you don't even know what you have. 

The keyboard is anything but premium. I've had three die on me for no reason whatsoever. One of them just stopped working. Another had the "s" key die. Another had the space bar die. Took out the keys, cleaned them, nothing. It's pretty, but the worst desktop keyboard I've ever had in terms of reliability.

Weird luck I guess... I've got Apple aluminium keyboards at both home and work. They get used a heck of a lot and I've had the one at home now for what must be at least 4 years - not a moments weirdness from it yet. The work one is only a year or two old, but again, no problems at all. Not doubting you at all, but just that my experience has been the opposite! 

Have to say they're my favourite keyboards ever. Easy to clean, reasonably resistant to food falling under the keys as they're quite flush to the chassis, quiet to type on, comfortable to use... and the added bonus of two USB ports hidden on the underside. Just an awesome design. 

They call Bestbuy and Futureshop here "try before you buy service".  As in go buy it there, use it until your "same, yet cheaper product" arrives from an online store and then return it.

Depends on who's offer is better really. Best Buy has sales more often, and as far as I can tell, their warranties cover water damage whereas Apple's doesn't. (correct me if I'm wrong) There also isn't a deductible.

As far returning products in that manner, I'd never really care to do that. Whether it's a big business or just a mom and pop shop, it's kind of a douchey thing to do. Furthermore, if you get the product, try it out, and somehow break it, you're pretty much screwed. Too much risk for me.