Teen killed on her way to get driver's license

A Squalicum High senior who died in a broadside crash over the weekend was a young driver on her way to get her driver's license.

Inna S. Reva, 17, had a learner's permit "for about a year," said Trooper Mark Francis of the Washington State Patrol, when she drove into oncoming traffic at Van Wyck and Hannegan roads about 10 a.m. Saturday.

An amended State Patrol report said Reva, who was driving a 2000 Hyundai Elantra, was westbound on Van Wyck Road and stopped at the Hannegan Road stop sign, but then she crossed the intersection into the path of a northbound 2002 Mitsubishi Montero driven by Amanda J. Jenkins of Bellingham.

Impact was on the driver's door of Reva's car. She died at the scene.

Injured in the crash was Reva's  stepfather, 42-year-old Leonid P. Shintar of Bellingham. He was taken to St. Joseph hospital for treatment of unspecified injuries. His condition was unavailable.

Francis said Shintar told troopers that he and Reva were headed to the Department of Licensing to get her license. Francis said Shintar didn't know why Reva kept going.

Shintar was not wearing a seat belt, according to the report, which also said it was unknown if Reva was wearing her seat belt. Jenkins, who was wearing a seat belt, was uninjured.

Both cars were demolished. The speed limit on Hannegan Road in the area is 50 mph.

No charges were pending against Jenkins, because she had the right-of-way, Francis said. Hannegan Road was closed for several hours Saturday morning as the crash was investigated.

source

An amended State Patrol report said Reva, who was driving a 2000 Hyundai Elantra, was westbound on Van Wyck Road and stopped at the Hannegan Road stop sign, but then she crossed the intersection into the path of a northbound 2002 Mitsubishi Montero driven by Amanda J. Jenkins of Bellingham.

That's tragic. It's easy to do, though. I bet all of us have almost done it at some point or another.

Driving like that, she would have been denied a license anyway.

I passed the written test, but then moved to a country where I didn't need a car before I took any lessons, so I'm still without a license.

I'll eventually get one, once I've saved enough money to buy an electric sportscar.

• 1 month later...

That's tragic. It's easy to do, though. I bet all of us have almost done it at some point or another.

No, actually some of us in the world actually pay attention when they're controlling a ton or multi-ton object that can cause mass damage and death.

Hello,

Its sad people dont respect driving rules :( I follow all driving laws even if Im beeped at from behind or how stupid they are. Laws are laws and they are ment to be respected.

Very sad news and its hard to say what caused it, the view from the stop sign may have been restricted,the other driver may have been speeding and weather the other driver actually braked before the impact...... so with limited information it falls on the poor girl who lost her life.

EDIT:On google maps the road looks quite flat and open with no obvious visionary problems from buildings or trees

http://goo.gl/maps/hnfzE

No, actually some of us in the world actually pay attention when they're controlling a ton or multi-ton object that can cause mass damage and death.

Yeah right!

I does not matter one bit how great of a drive you think you are, if some one else isn't paying attention. Why do you think it's called an "accident" ? Really hate people with that kind of an attitude when it comes to driving. you are not the only one on the road, you know!

Can't believe the girls step father wasn't wearing a seat belt. Fine example he was setting!

Very sad, regardless of the circumstances.

You have never made any kind of mistake while driving? You are a genius.

You have never made any kind of mistake while driving? You are a genius.

I just take driving very seriously and know that in under a second you could cost someone else their life.  I guess some people just don't value other people's lives like I believe they should.

I just take driving very seriously and know that in under a second you could cost someone else their life.  I guess some people just don't value other people's lives like I believe they should.

I take driving very seriously. Most people I know do too. But things can happen, and will happen if you drive enough. If it hasn't happened to you yet thank your lucky stars.