Photo

Have you gone or thought about returning to Windows 7?

windows 7

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:35

I have been using Windows 8 for probably over a year now, and to be honest, I still cant adjust to it. Windows 8.1 is coming out that will ease the pain for those who aren't fond of Windows 8, but I thought why not just reinstall Windows 7 for the boot to desktop and the start button?   I also after a year of after switching between my Windows 8 pc to my Windows 7 pc, I like Windows 7 slightly better. The start menu seems to be better for productivity, the speed of Windows 7 is not drastically different than 8 and the Aero interface seems nicer than the flat look in 8. From my experience of using both OSs, Windows 7 is honestly better suited for desktops than Windows 8

Have you gone back or contemplated of going back to Windows 7?

windows 7 8.jpg

#2 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:43

Windows 7 and OpenSUSE Linux til 2020 for me. (Y)

#3 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:43

While I've never used Windows 8 I do use Linux Mint 15 cinnamon as my primary desktop and yes I do contemplate using Windows 7. Not for the reasons one would think. It has Photoshop CS5 and Runs the games that Wine can't handle. Also it's a dual-boot machine and literally just requires a restart and a selection in Grub.

So, yes, I do contemplate it. Then I use it. Then I go back to Mint. :)

#4 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:45

Nope, Windows 8 works better for me. The only thing I'm looking forward to in 8.1 is the ability to boot immediately to the desktop. I don't miss the start menu at all, and really don't even want the button. Win 8 does everything I need it to, just as well if not better than 7

#5 Raa

Raa

Resident president

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:46

I can't return to something I never left. :)

#6 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:47

I'm using Windows 8.1 and wouldn't go back to Windows 7. There are too many improvements that I'd miss, despite the usability issues.

#7 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:47

Happy with latest release of Windows x64 here. I see Windows XP to Windows 7, Server 2003 to 2012 during a working day anyway (which I access via a Ubuntu thinclient).

I regret / miss nothing :)

#8 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:52

Windows 7 is nice but it feels old and outdated now.  I prefer Windows 8.

#9 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:54

No. That is all.

With boot to desktop, and a start menu replacement (if that floats your boat), your "Windows 7 is honestly better suited for desktops than Windows 8" statement is absolutely false.  Windows 8 has some excellent new features on the desktop such as better multi-monitor support, a super task manager, and great file operation dialogs.

#10 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

I've been using it on two of my laptops as it is, but I've got to say I find the Start Screen rather useless to me. It doesn't really provide any extra functionality for me, considering I never had all my icons pinned to my desktop back on Windows 7 to begin with. The live tiles are kinda meh to me still. Hopefully 8.1 will change that.

As for the apps, I love IE and the touch functionality on it. I just wish it functioned more or less the same on the desktop version, specifically the gesturing. Not sure if mine just isn't acting right or what though. I wish Chrome or Firefox ran as well as IE did, as I'd like to have my extensions more than anything, along with the browsers to run as smoothly.

Overall, I think lower boot times, improved security, and some overall functionality changes are welcome. Call me crazy, but my FAVORITE feature (aside from being able to upgrade seamlessly from 7) is the Win+X key. Best hotkey ever.

I just hope they figure out the mess that is the Start Screen and charms. I'll reserve judgment until I try 8.1 though.

#11 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

was pulling some files from an older core 2 duo pc that had windows 7 on it. wow did it feel...old.

#12 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:56

Windows 8 is technically solid and does offer some innovative features especially the new modern apps.  Windows 7 and Windows 8 are both great OS's but both offer different experiences and is more really subjective.

#13 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 24 September 2013 - 23:58

On my main desktop, never left, probably keep it until it's time to upgrade the hardware again then I'll do 8, never mind 7 being my personal favorite desktop from any OS. Do have 8 on a couple other systems, with a few tweaks it's more or less identical in the end anyway.. same start menu, same software, same experience.. just a bit glossier. Some of the new features I do like in 8, but just not in a hurry to reinstall, it's a hassle.

#14 James123

James123

Neowinian

Posted 25 September 2013 - 00:03

Nope, explorer improvements (file operations), better multi-monitor support and faster boot times are enough to keep me on Windows 8/8.1.

I don't particularly care for 'Metro' apps... so I don't use them. In Windows 7 I always launched apps in the start menu by pressing Win + <type> + Enter, and that works the same in Windows 8 so the Start Screen doesn't bother me at all. I can't think of anything I did in Windows 7 that I can't do in Windows 8.

#15 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 25 September 2013 - 00:09

Can't go back to what I haven't left.  Don't see me leaving 7 any time in the near future.