Have you gone or thought about returning to Windows 7?

I have been using Windows 8 for probably over a year now, and to be honest, I still cant adjust to it. Windows 8.1 is coming out that will ease the pain for those who aren't fond of Windows 8, but I thought why not just reinstall Windows 7 for the boot to desktop and the start button?   I also after a year of after switching between my Windows 8 pc to my Windows 7 pc, I like Windows 7 slightly better. The start menu seems to be better for productivity, the speed of Windows 7 is not drastically different than 8 and the Aero interface seems nicer than the flat look in 8. From my experience of using both OSs, Windows 7 is honestly better suited for desktops than Windows 8

Have you gone back or contemplated of going back to Windows 7?

post-455563-0-82710900-1380066242.jpg

• Like 2

While I've never used Windows 8 I do use Linux Mint 15 cinnamon as my primary desktop and yes I do contemplate using Windows 7. Not for the reasons one would think. It has Photoshop CS5 and Runs the games that Wine can't handle. Also it's a dual-boot machine and literally just requires a restart and a selection in Grub.

So, yes, I do contemplate it. Then I use it. Then I go back to Mint. :)

Nope, Windows 8 works better for me. The only thing I'm looking forward to in 8.1 is the ability to boot immediately to the desktop. I don't miss the start menu at all, and really don't even want the button. Win 8 does everything I need it to, just as well if not better than 7

Happy with latest release of Windows x64 here. I see Windows XP to Windows 7, Server 2003 to 2012 during a working day anyway (which I access via a Ubuntu thinclient).

I regret / miss nothing :)

No. That is all.

With boot to desktop, and a start menu replacement (if that floats your boat), your "Windows 7 is honestly better suited for desktops than Windows 8" statement is absolutely false.  Windows 8 has some excellent new features on the desktop such as better multi-monitor support, a super task manager, and great file operation dialogs.

• Like 2

I've been using it on two of my laptops as it is, but I've got to say I find the Start Screen rather useless to me. It doesn't really provide any extra functionality for me, considering I never had all my icons pinned to my desktop back on Windows 7 to begin with. The live tiles are kinda meh to me still. Hopefully 8.1 will change that.

As for the apps, I love IE and the touch functionality on it. I just wish it functioned more or less the same on the desktop version, specifically the gesturing. Not sure if mine just isn't acting right or what though. I wish Chrome or Firefox ran as well as IE did, as I'd like to have my extensions more than anything, along with the browsers to run as smoothly.

Overall, I think lower boot times, improved security, and some overall functionality changes are welcome. Call me crazy, but my FAVORITE feature (aside from being able to upgrade seamlessly from 7) is the Win+X key. Best hotkey ever.

I just hope they figure out the mess that is the Start Screen and charms. I'll reserve judgment until I try 8.1 though.

Windows 8 is technically solid and does offer some innovative features especially the new modern apps.  Windows 7 and Windows 8 are both great OS's but both offer different experiences and is more really subjective.

On my main desktop, never left, probably keep it until it's time to upgrade the hardware again then I'll do 8, never mind 7 being my personal favorite desktop from any OS. Do have 8 on a couple other systems, with a few tweaks it's more or less identical in the end anyway.. same start menu, same software, same experience.. just a bit glossier. Some of the new features I do like in 8, but just not in a hurry to reinstall, it's a hassle.

Nope, explorer improvements (file operations), better multi-monitor support and faster boot times are enough to keep me on Windows 8/8.1.

I don't particularly care for 'Metro' apps... so I don't use them. In Windows 7 I always launched apps in the start menu by pressing Win + <type> + Enter, and that works the same in Windows 8 so the Start Screen doesn't bother me at all. I can't think of anything I did in Windows 7 that I can't do in Windows 8.

I paid for and upgraded to 8.  Used it for a week, and still thought it was the worst OS I've ever used.  Requested a refund, got it, and went back to Windows 7.  I hate Windows 8, and I can't see 8.1 being any better.

I'm investigating the tools I will need to have available on Linux distros for my future beyond Windows 7, because as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft dropped the ball and stopped giving a ###### about a large chunk of their user base.

I don't use any mainstream OS anymore. I built my own 8086 assembly operating system cause i don't trust anyone else. Sadly I'm stuck with my VESA driver, no gfx acceleration for me... yet.

The speed boost in itself is worth it. Windows 8 boots up magnitudes faster than Windows 7, especially on recent hardware, not to mention faster sleep and hibernation times. The interface is less taxing on battery, and the flat interface looks modern (flat is in -- Android, iOS, Mac OS X all follow the trend). The Explorer, though far from perfect, works decently. The Ribbon doesn't make that much of a difference, or that much of an improvement, though.

The Start screen is still a mish-mash of failed, impractical concepts and most of the Metro-######-Modern stuff is terrible (see: Charms), but a Start Menu replacement fixes that and you still get the architectural and visual improvements. Looking back at Windows 7, there's very little to miss.

Got Win 8 when it came out, few things could have been better but I was intrigued by the direction they were taking, it was stable and ran smooth. Now after learning the ins and outs and using 8.1, no Windows 7 for me. Granted Windows 7 is a solid OS and will do what most people need, but I see the potential in the Unified look of the Modern UI, live tiles, skydrive sync and other niceties of 8/8.1. I use it on my desktop and its become so natural now that I find myself trying to use hot corners when I'm on a win 7 machine.  :rofl:.  Sure 8.0 was a bit jarring but 8.1 smoothed out a lot. Heck, I find myself more in modern options than classic control panel. It's a refreshing change for Windows. So I'm using 8.1 on my desktop and Elelmentry OS Luna on a spare netbook (curse you 1024x600!). I'm loving it.

• Like 2