Photo

Have you gone or thought about returning to Windows 7?

windows 7

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#16 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 25 September 2013 - 00:24

I paid for and upgraded to 8.  Used it for a week, and still thought it was the worst OS I've ever used.  Requested a refund, got it, and went back to Windows 7.  I hate Windows 8, and I can't see 8.1 being any better.

I'm investigating the tools I will need to have available on Linux distros for my future beyond Windows 7, because as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft dropped the ball and stopped giving a ###### about a large chunk of their user base.

#17 incendy

incendy

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 September 2013 - 00:34

On a touch screen device, no way I would go back. On a desktop with no touch interaction, I am fine with 7 or 8.

#18 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:04

Not in the least.  Been using 8 since last December and like it more than 7, which I still have to use at work.

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:05

Sometimes I do. I sit at my Linux box and think of the good old days. But then I think better of it.

#20 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:10

I have nothing against 7 as they're functionally similar, but I have no reason to go back and several reasons to stay.

#21 MeowPurr

MeowPurr

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:20

I don't use any mainstream OS anymore. I built my own 8086 assembly operating system cause i don't trust anyone else. Sadly I'm stuck with my VESA driver, no gfx acceleration for me... yet.

#22 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:21

I'm rockin the server varaint and I love it and won't go back to 7.

#23 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:25

Windows 8 all the way! :-D

#24 Newinko

Newinko

Neowinian

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:30

The speed boost in itself is worth it. Windows 8 boots up magnitudes faster than Windows 7, especially on recent hardware, not to mention faster sleep and hibernation times. The interface is less taxing on battery, and the flat interface looks modern (flat is in -- Android, iOS, Mac OS X all follow the trend). The Explorer, though far from perfect, works decently. The Ribbon doesn't make that much of a difference, or that much of an improvement, though.

The Start screen is still a mish-mash of failed, impractical concepts and most of the Metro-######-Modern stuff is terrible (see: Charms), but a Start Menu replacement fixes that and you still get the architectural and visual improvements. Looking back at Windows 7, there's very little to miss.

#25 Sadelwo

Sadelwo

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 820

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:32

Got Win 8 when it came out, few things could have been better but I was intrigued by the direction they were taking, it was stable and ran smooth. Now after learning the ins and outs and using 8.1, no Windows 7 for me. Granted Windows 7 is a solid OS and will do what most people need, but I see the potential in the Unified look of the Modern UI, live tiles, skydrive sync and other niceties of 8/8.1. I use it on my desktop and its become so natural now that I find myself trying to use hot corners when I'm on a win 7 machine.  :rofl:.  Sure 8.0 was a bit jarring but 8.1 smoothed out a lot. Heck, I find myself more in modern options than classic control panel. It's a refreshing change for Windows. So I'm using 8.1 on my desktop and Elelmentry OS Luna on a spare netbook (curse you 1024x600!). I'm loving it.

#26 Albert

Albert

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:37

nope. never left.

#27 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:39

Went back to Windows 7 at work for a bit, after using 8 for about a year... lasted about a day. Now back on 8.1. After using 8, things are just more fluid, and once you get the shortcuts and navigation down it's by far a better desktop experience. It's also a better performer, espcially at boot. Booting to checking e-mail is about 20-30 seconds tops. 7 feels like XP to me now... outdated and clunky. And from someone who used to love Aero... just no now.

#28 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:44

I paid for and upgraded to 8.  Used it for a week, and still thought it was the worst OS I've ever used.  Requested a refund, got it, and went back to Windows 7.  I hate Windows 8, and I can't see 8.1 being any better.

I'm investigating the tools I will need to have available on Linux distros for my future beyond Windows 7, because as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft dropped the ball and stopped giving a **** about a large chunk of their user base.

Unbeatable logic right here. Instead of using one of the many programs that get rid of metro just switch to a completely different operating system and use all completely different applications.

#29 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:02

Unbeatable logic right here. Instead of using one of the many programs that get rid of metro just switch to a completely different operating system and use all completely different applications.

Undoing Microsoft work to push metro interface on your face ... but for how long ?

We know that in the long term, Microsoft wish to ditch the desktop side.

#30 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:14

Undoing Microsoft work to push metro interface on your face ... but for how long ?

We know that in the long term, Microsoft wish to ditch the desktop side.

Eventually, yeah, but it's just not possible in the immedate future. By the time they do, metro will be fine tuned and nobody will miss the desktop, but we're still probably talking 2-3 major Windows revisions from now. Probably a decade or so, but Microsoft getting rid of it any sooner would cause everyone to either never upgrade or flee to other OSes.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!