Photo

Have you gone or thought about returning to Windows 7?

windows 7

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:27

No. I like the Start Screen with the way I have it setup, and 8.1 resolves some more of the things I didn't care for,

#32 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:38

Unbeatable logic right here. Instead of using one of the many programs that get rid of metro just switch to a completely different operating system and use all completely different applications.

You can't get rid of Metro.  There is no program capable of doing it, not one.  Unless a company has completely re-written the Control Panel, there will always be Metro elements in the operating system.  I don't like Metro on my computer, and that includes things like changing my account password, or creating a new account.

How's that for logic, buddy?

#33 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:39

I'm happy with Debian Linux, but Windows 7 is still a great commercial OS. Windows 8 and I never really hit it off. Anyway, interesting comments.

#34 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 26 September 2013 - 00:01

I never left Windows 7 :p

#35 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 26 September 2013 - 00:08

We know that in the long term, Microsoft wish to ditch the desktop side.

Only if they want to commit financial suicide. Windows has a long legacy of being backwards compatible, think they're just going to tell people to throw away a bajillion programs and start over from scratch? A new version of Windows for the desktop that doesn't run Windows software? Not happening.

You can't get rid of Metro. There is no program capable of doing it, not one.

Sure you can. Replace the Windows shell with the one from Windows 7. (Ex7ForWin8 I think it was called.) It pulls in the Explorer shell right off of a Windows 7 ISO, no Metro elements anywhere minus the login screen. Even if you went with a "Windows 7 workalike" start menu (ClassicShell or whatever) you still don't need to see the Metro bits to change your passwords and such... the classic control panel is still there.

#36 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 September 2013 - 00:19

Only if they want to commit financial suicide. Windows has a long legacy of being backwards compatible, think they're just going to tell people to throw away a bajillion programs and start over from scratch? A new version of Windows for the desktop that doesn't run Windows software? Not happening.

It could be sold as a supplemental OS rather than a complete replacement, if they wanted to fork it.  The new version without support for the old stuff would likely be cheaper...I don't actually see MS doing this, but it's still feasible.

#37 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 00:35

It could be sold as a supplemental OS rather than a complete replacement, if they wanted to fork it.  The new version without support for the old stuff would likely be cheaper...I don't actually see MS doing this, but it's still feasible.

Hmm I suppose it's a possibility sure, especially if it's cheaper.. working off of that line of thought maybe "Windows 9 Basic" is just the Modern stuff, cheap, lets you work through the store, etc, then Pro/Enterprise/etc includes the same plus the full desktop OS. Personally I question the viability though, Modern's got some fans and it does have some interesting features despite needing further tuning, but less than what I'd call an enthusiastic response. I have zero interest in it for myself.. but I could see uses for it in a more public setup, budget systems, kiosks, etc sure. They just can't do away with the classic desktop entirely, there's way too many programs out there that use it, business and personal, never mind a good number of people flat out hate the new setup, they'd get dropped like a brick if they killed it entirely.

#38 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

Posted 26 September 2013 - 00:48

I like 8 cause it feels snappy and generally like it was a light weight OS. I like the tiles cause the start screen makes great Launchpad for everything I execute. I hated the tree view in the old start menu which often included links to shortcuts and anything else a developer felt like tossing in there. In 8 all I see is just nice, large icons to execute. Most everything I do is just launch 3rd party apps and games, I don't see the big deal really.

#39 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

Posted 26 September 2013 - 00:53

Sure you can. Replace the Windows shell with the one from Windows 7. (Ex7ForWin8 I think it was called.)

Which is now called startisback I believe. That one is no longer supported.

#40 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:00

Which is now called startisback I believe. That one is no longer supported.

Yes, but StartIsBack doesn't pull in the real Windows 7 shell like the other one does, which gives you the 7 shell running with 8 under the hood, different sort of thing. Not advocating it, just tossed it out as an option, if you want Metro gone you can get rid of it entirely versus just hiding it.. namely there is a way to do it contrary to what the other guy originally claimed. Even if you use another start menu replacement though you can still do without any of the modern bits at all, specifically talking about changing your password.. the modern start menu brings up the modern version of that control panel... so don't use it, use the older one.

#41 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:10

They just can't do away with the classic desktop entirely, there's way too many programs out there that use it, business and personal, never mind a good number of people flat out hate the new setup, they'd get dropped like a brick if they killed it entirely.

well, there are other people that think otherwise.  So much "enthusiasm" for windows RT here, especially in the comments of article published in front page, it's baffling.

I'll quote a comment from link8506:

, Microsoft is pushing Windows RT for home users, and windows 8 for professionals and advanced users, which is a smart move because win32 compatibility should be limited to professional and server versions of Windows, and no longer available to regular users.

having unsandboxed (win32) apps on a consumer OS is no longer viable because most people are too easily tricked into installing malicious apps or apps bundling toolbars and adwares on their system. The same problems exists on osx and desktop Linux. None of the current desktop OSes are malware proof / idiot proof. That's why bringing windows RT to desktop and laptop PCs will totally make sense, once people can find everything they need in the windows store.

Quote taken from here:

http://www.neowin.ne...iness-after-all

#42 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:24

Sure you can. Replace the Windows shell with the one from Windows 7. (Ex7ForWin8 I think it was called.) It pulls in the Explorer shell right off of a Windows 7 ISO, no Metro elements anywhere minus the login screen. Even if you went with a "Windows 7 workalike" start menu (ClassicShell or whatever) you still don't need to see the Metro bits to change your passwords and such... the classic control panel is still there.

I can see that going over big in the enterprise. :D

#43 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:03

You can't get rid of Metro.  There is no program capable of doing it, not one.  Unless a company has completely re-written the Control Panel, there will always be Metro elements in the operating system.  I don't like Metro on my computer, and that includes things like changing my account password, or creating a new account.

How's that for logic, buddy?

It's remarkably easy to change account passwords / add new users without metro

Entering control userpasswords2 in run still works:

userpass.png

As does lusrmsg.msc

lusr.png

#44 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:08

Thought about it, but didn't. Windows 8.1 for me. I'll run 7 in a VM if need be.

#45 ManMountain

ManMountain

Neowinian

• Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:11

I haven't considered going back to Windows 7 since first purchasing Windows 8, I immediately liked it and with 8.1 I'm more than happy to continue to keep it as my main OS.