Photo

Have you gone or thought about returning to Windows 7?

windows 7

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#46 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:12

It's remarkably easy to change account passwords / add new users without metro

Entering control userpasswords2 in run still works:

attachicon.gifuserpass.png

As does lusrmsg.msc

attachicon.giflusr.png

I'm not a nerd who's going to remember those codes.  That's not easy for an average user.

#47 georgevella

georgevella

Software Developer

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:12

Nope, Windows 8 (and soon 8.1).  Using Windows 7 at work and the one think I miss is the full screen search results.

#48 Manarift

Manarift

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:17

Im using windows 8.1K and i have no issues what so ever.

Key things i like changes wise is the start screen isnt like 8 it now has to be manually pinned for items sort of like windows 7 had with ability to select all apps for the next one ability to select and pin multiple apps for the start screen is a plus over past

8.1 Also changes how activation servers activate Windows so its allot faster then windows 7 and 8. This here helps allot when you are setting up a system for a client or someone who is newbie to installing.

Full screen search is alot faster then windows 7 search mode by far for looking for key items.

Boot to desktop is back to its nice to have the setting based on system used.

Boot times are way better now then they were on winodws 7 for my self so i stick to 8/8.1

#49 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:26

I have to say that my negative reaction to Windows 8 actually drove me off Windows at home all together - I ended up buying the hardware to run a Hackintosh and honestly haven't looked back. That has subsequently given way to buying a full on Macintosh so I'd consider myself switched.. I run a Windows 7 VM for a few Windows apps that I don't want to re-buy licenses for (Creative Suite 5 for example) and that's it. 

Similarly at work I ran it for about 5 months and was so infuriated with the way so many things were done that I went back to Windows 7. I have however had a short amount of time playing with Windows 8.1 and a number of the areas that specifically annoyed me had been addressed (so evidently I wasn't the only person disliking certain features) so there's a good possibility that my work PC will become Windows 8.1 in the not too distant future, when I have a quiet day to get it reinstalled and set back up again! :) 

#50 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:16

Never Left it

I use Window 7 in the house for the rare times i need to use photoshop

and i use windows XP at work

But for the last 2 years my full time OS has been various Linux Distros, started with Suse, then Fedora and now Debian

#51 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:22

Windows 8.x made me go back to the Mac at home.

At work we're sticking with Windows 7 for as long as possible. Of course we're going to look at future Windows versions, but it'll take a lot before we move away from the tried and trusted Win7.

#52 Blueclub

Blueclub

Neowinian

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:41

Bought Windows 8 when it came out, tried it for a week, hated it, went back to Windows 7. After being bashed here on Neowin, tried it again, and loving it!

Have you gone back or contemplated of going back to Windows 7?

Never going back to an old interface. After using Windows 8, Windows 7 seems dated.

I'm using Windows 8.1 and wouldn't go back to Windows 7. There are too many improvements that I'd miss, despite the usability issues.

Exactly.

I paid for and upgraded to 8.  Used it for a week, and still thought it was the worst OS I've ever used.  Requested a refund, got it, and went back to Windows 7.  I hate Windows 8, and I can't see 8.1 being any better.

I'm investigating the tools I will need to have available on Linux distros for my future beyond Windows 7, because as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft dropped the ball and stopped giving a **** about a large chunk of their user base.

Everyone has his taste, best of luck!

Many people like Windows 8, many of the people that don't will get use to is, and..... adapt. People adapted to a GUI, a mouse. Try Windows 8 for a month or more, and your thinking might change.

You can't get rid of Metro.  There is no program capable of doing it, not one.  Unless a company has completely re-written the Control Panel, there will always be Metro elements in the operating system.  I don't like Metro on my computer, and that includes things like changing my account password, or creating a new account.

How's that for logic, buddy?

Why would you get rid of Metro? you don't like it, don't use it. Its not like its taking a ton of ram of processing power, and with 8.1 you can directly boot to desktop. How many times do you need to change your system password?

I am OK with the new start screen... Use my computer for like 10-11 hours a day, see/use the start screen 1~4 times.

#53 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:49

I'm not a nerd who's going to remember those codes.  That's not easy for an average user.

So go to the desktop and enable the control panel icon... exactly like before. Pin that in a bajillion places, just in case. No nerdism required. Those "codes" are just so you can create a direct shortcut and skip going thru the control panel itself, one less step.

#54 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:55

I used 8 for a few months, and when the novelty of "apps" wore off, the OS become extremely annoying.

Since I was using the Desktop mode only, there was really no advantage at all over 7.  I have SSDs in all my PCs, so any speed trickery that 8 does is negligible.

Having 2 UIs, 2 control panels, etc etc and not giving the user the option to customize (turn on/off) things, is a massive turn-off.  The organization of everything was a huge step back from 7.

I'm much more productive on 7, and I don't have to deal with the added junk in 8 that I don't use/want.  It looks like 8.1 is bringing not a lot to the table, and the "start button" they added is basically a slap in the face to the people that honestly wanted the start menu back.  I lost a lot of respect for Microsoft over what seems like trolling.  Why would anybody want a button that takes you to the Metro UI?  What a joke.

#55 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:55

Why would you get rid of Metro? you don't like it, don't use it. 

You make make Windows 8 work like Windows 7 with only a little work. 

#56 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:14

commands still work good in windows 8 and winkey + r still gets me to a run prompt.  I have little issue with windows 8, once you learn the commands for one windows os you lean the commands for all windows oses. 

key ones to keep in memory:

appwiz.cpl

eventvwr.msc

sysdm.cpl

control printers

ncpa.cpl

devmgmt.msc

6 of the most commonly used control panel items.  This will work for all windows versions from 2000 on up to current.  It isn't that hard to remember these for 13+ years.  It is harder to figure out where Microsoft buried it in this or the next version.

#57 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:15

Never left and will be waiting till the next version comes up or I buy a new computer. 

#58 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:17

When i first got my new laptop (it came with 8) i figured i would play around with it for a bit and then go back to windows 7 however, after a week or so of using the laptop i decided that i liked it and have not gone back. I am very happy with Windows 8 and it seams to do everything that i wanted it to do  (even without a touch screen)

#59 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:26

Windows 8 has nice features such as ISO mounting, built-in antivirus, the power menu. I know I won't go back to Windows 7, but if it haven't been for the cheap upgrade price I probably would still be using Windows 7 as I won't have wanted to pay $200 for an operating system that people were giving bad hype (Kind of glad I ignored the bad hype). Another reason I believe Windows 8 is really good because Microsoft are releasing Windows 8.1 for free, which fixes a lot of the complains.

I'm glad I upgraded when it came out for the discounted price. :)

#60 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:29

Have you gone back or contemplated of going back to Windows 7?

I'm currently on Windows 7 as of last week. I used Windows 8 from it's release, and tried the 8.1 update. 

It's a shame, I like Windows 7 but it's just so slow in comparison to Windows 8. Right now I'm just binding my time until I can download Windows 8.1 ISO and do a clean install.

Hopefully I have a change of heart with Windows 8.1.

I did like Windows 8, I even liked what the start screen (even if it did make me feel sick when I first started to use it) and the idea behind the apps.

However, Microsoft seems to have no direction with what they want to do with it.
I can't remove the start screen or apps from my Desktop machine, even though I've decided they're of no use for me, and I can't disable the desktop and let the kids play on the startscreen/metro only.

It honestly feels like a disjointed mash up of a very poorly written 3rd party app akain of Microsoft Bob.

I got to use a Mac around 6 months ago, and while I had a few issues with not knowing the key short cuts or some basic usage such as how cut and paste files I found I liked OS X more then Windows 8. If I was a console gamer, I'd have switched full time to a Mac already by now. I found all the programs I needed where there, and replacement ones for those that didn't have native Mac OS X versions and for the rest, cross over worked fine.

I use steam and it just hit home with one of the biggest issues I have with Microsoft and their eco system. I've used Steam on Linux and I got a a small collection of games to play, that was some time ago now. I used the same account as my Steam I used with Windows and I didn't have to rebuy the same games. Then I got more then half of my games supported on Mac OS via Steam too. Again I didn't have to buy again, exact same games, exact same steam achivements and most of the ones I tried even had my save games syned to steam too! I have a xbox, a Windows Phone and Windows 8, all signed in with the same account, but I have to buy the same crappy game each and every time on each platform. I'm not doing that. I've stopped buying games on my windows phone, I'm not buying anymore Xbox games, certainly won't be getting an xbox one and.. as for Windows 8... I'm not sure if I even want to go back to it anymore.

But yeah, Windows 8,, not using it now, currently on Windows 7. Will be going back to Windows 8.1 purely for the speed boost... for how long... Who knows.