Photo

Have you gone or thought about returning to Windows 7?

windows 7

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#76 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:45

I have both OSes... yet I prefer Win 7 for serious things and Win8 for anything else. Also, Win8 is modded with a gracefully AeroGlass donated key from one of the users here plus start8, even so... it simply feels so restrictive that I don't like it, starting by the false disabled UAC.

#77 panacea

panacea

technical cannibal

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: htc one

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:52

Never felt the  need to leave windows 7.     planning to give win9  a go though.

#78 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:55

Got a call from a customer today who was on vista, she said

"ya I have vista, it's slow, I heard windows 8 also isn't very good and it really slows down your computer"

I said, "No windows 8 does not slow down your computer. it sucks for a bunch of other different reasons, speed is not one of them"

#79 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:00

I said, "No windows 8 does not slow down your computer. it sucks for a bunch of other different reasons, speed is not one of them"

Perhaps we coud talk of speed , regarding user interaction  i.e how much clicks , keystroke etc... does it takes to do particular actions.

I don't know if "user efficiency" with a particular UI could be measured.

#80 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:04

I did think about going back to Windows 7 after using Windows 8 full time for 6 months. Instead i upgraded to the 8.1 preview and actually really enjoyed using it. I found 8.1 to have many little improvements which added up to a much nicer user experience.

• Boot to desktop was good to have back
  • The start button made accessing the start screen and power user features (via right click) a lot easier, especially in remote desktop sessions.
  • Putting my PC on standby was now no longer a battle with the useless chimes bar, easy to do by right clicking on the start button. (still not as easy as start > sleep.. but an improvement)
  • The top left and right hot corners can be disabled
  • Having the desktop background displayed on the start screen makes the transition a lot more pleasant.

About the only thing i don't like is the horrible rainbow coloured tile backgrounds when desktop apps are pinned to the start screen, i much preferred them all to have the same background colour like on 8.0.

The modern apps are still useless in my opinion, however overall i find 8.1 is not that bad at all.

#81 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:13

Perhaps we coud talk of speed , regarding user interaction  i.e how much clicks , keystroke etc... does it takes to do particular actions.

I don't know if "user efficiency" with a particular UI could be measured.

Yes, if we are talking "That type of speed" this yes, windows 8 is horrible.

#82 jamwheat

jamwheat

Just Me....

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:24

I have been stricktly on Windows 8 since Developer, and got the 8.1 from Technet and running it on my desktop and laptop.  I have Windows 7 in a VM so I can keep up with it for support purposes, just like I have XP in a VM.  So, no, not going back to Windows 7, as I am enjoying Windows 8.1.

I actually started off with the Sinclair ZX-80, then Vic-20, C64, Windows 3, on up.  Have an iPhone for work, and a Nexus 7 tablet.  That, I think, covers all the "modern" OSes, hehe...

#83 Zlain

Zlain

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:25

I used Windows 8 and then tried the beta (Win 8.1) before having to go back to Windows 7 because my drive ****ed up (my own fault) and only had a bootable disc for Windows 7. As a result, I'm in an ideal situation to give an opinion here:

Firstly, loading Windows 7 is such a pain in the backside. Seriously. Boot up with Windows 8 is FAST. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like with an SSD but with a normal mechanical drive, its still quick. Things in Windows 8 are definitely smoother. Without a doubt. I like the start menu and its fairly easy to find stuff. But you know what? I don't really mind using either Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 for searching. I agree though, Windows 8 is terrible for searching because it defaults to one of those preset filters. I miss having my modern startup page. It is a lot cleaner than having a long list of programmes in the start menu. Tbh, I don't understand the fascination for the start menu. I truly believe Windows 8.1 is superior to 7. I'll be moving onto 8.1 soon, just as soon as the games I play support it (mainly X-Trap errors which is the only problem I had with Windows 8.1).

I fail to understand why people prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8.1. There is absolutely nothing that I will "miss" once all the support and updates are there for Windows 8.1. 

#84 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:29

I went back to 7 for a couple months then had to upgrade back to 8 because I wanted to start writing Metro apps.

#85 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 September 2013 - 23:25

One thing about WIndows 8, over Windows 7 is Hyper-V manager.

Nuff said.

#86 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 27 September 2013 - 23:47

I already did, used Windows 8 for a month and really wanted to like it but, never again. 

#87 DoctorD

DoctorD

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 23:52

Windows 8 for my tablets and Windows 7 for my gaming rig, tried 8 for gaming and didn't get the desired effect so back to 7 it was.

#88 manwiththedroid

manwiththedroid

Fighting authority since 1982

Posted 27 September 2013 - 23:57

I'm sticking with Windows 8.1. I don't use modern apps at all but I really like using the start screen for Steam Tiles. As awesome as Windows 7 is, I really think Windows 8.1 is polished nice and worth using.

#89 dvb2000

dvb2000

Neowinian

Posted 28 September 2013 - 00:07

Have you gone back or contemplated of going back to Windows 7?

I tested Windows 8 during its betas, and never moved off Windows 7 on my main machine. Microsoft were warned Windows 8 would be a failure, but ploughed ahead with it anyway.

Until Microsoft get rid of Metro, and touchscreen bias for desktops, and give us back the proper desktop and start menu, they O/S will be a failure.

#90 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 September 2013 - 00:17

Until Microsoft get rid of Metro, and touchscreen bias for desktops, and give us back the proper desktop and start menu, they O/S will be a failure.

I don't use Windows 8, or even Windows at home any more, but I figure people will get use to the start screen over time. It's just completely different, and people hate change anyway. I've read that 8.1 is really nice.