• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,576 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:32

Yeah, once SHIELD comes even close to the Xbox and PS they can throw words around like that but somehow I doubt that.

They are two different devices also, SHIELD is mainly competing against PSP and Vita not the bigger brothers so why is Nvidia actually taking word on them?

#32 OP theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,082 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:27

Valve is exactly targeting the 8-10 year cycle with their steambox'es at least for another console life cycle that is... so don't expect valve dictating hardware trends in the next 15 years.

Valve is working on an open platform that will be supported by multiple manufacturers, so it's a completely different business strategy to Microsoft and Sony. It's what Microsoft should have done in the first place.

#33 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

• 4,400 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:27

You have to admit that it would have been nice to see XBOne and PS4 being able to render games at 1080p/60fps.  Seeing as game dev are not going that far probably means that the GPU in both console is somewhat a little bit weak.  Like I said in a previous post, come on, it's 2013/4.....

And it's not like the old X360 or PS3 where game dev had to learn a new architecture and tweak it to extract all of the performance.  It's the same as PC, same X64, same GPU and in Microsoft case, same kernel (Win8) and DirectX.  So the learning curve is minimal.

#34 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• 1,176 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:51

You have to admit that it would have been nice to see XBOne and PS4 being able to render games at 1080p/60fps.  Seeing as game dev are not going that far probably means that the GPU in both console is somewhat a little bit weak.  Like I said in a previous post, come on, it's 2013/4.....

And it's not like the old X360 or PS3 where game dev had to learn a new architecture and tweak it to extract all of the performance.  It's the same as PC, same X64, same GPU and in Microsoft case, same kernel (Win8) and DirectX.  So the learning curve is minimal.

Personally, I don't think the next-gen boxes can't render at 1080p/60fps its more so been reduced due to tight time frames, more platforms to develop for, NDA's and the learning curve for each. Colour me surprised if games in 2014 keep getting hit by these 1080p downgrades. Especially with the consumer response.

#35 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,783 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:24

Valve is working on an open platform that will be supported by multiple manufacturers, so it's a completely different business strategy to Microsoft and Sony. It's what Microsoft should have done in the first place.

Yes, because hardware fragmentation in the console industry would be fantastic :rolleyes:

Again, we have what you're talking about - its called PC gaming. We don't want it for consoles and I'm willing to bet that Valve finds that out real quick.

#36 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

• 4,084 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:33

TL;DR version:

NVidia:  PC graphics are better, buy our video cards!

#37 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,161 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:34

Yes, because hardware fragmentation in the console industry would be fantastic :rolleyes:

Again, we have what you're talking about - its called PC gaming. We don't want it for consoles and I'm willing to bet that Valve finds that out real quick.

Hardware "fragmentation" hasn't hurt PC gaming one bit, why would it hurt console gaming? I don't think you quite get what fragmentation means, it's not what Apple claims it is when talking about Android, look it up

#38 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:37

I think success sometimes comes down to bang-for-buck. A high end gaming system will always be pretty expensive. Consoles on the other hand are relatively low cost, secure, easy to use, and robust (no having to worry about graphics drivers or re-installing/upgrading an OS). Sony's and Microsoft's recently announced consoles will offer amazing graphics capabilities for years to come.

#39 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,241 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:43

Hardware "fragmentation" hasn't hurt PC gaming one bit, why would it hurt console gaming?

With PC gaming users are all the time running into the "is my hardware good enough to run this" scenario. With consoles there's a clear baseline that's guaranteed to be there so developers can focus on providing a consistent experience across the board.. if you have "Console ____", you're guaranteed to be able to play the game as the developers intended. If it's more like PC gaming you'd have some consoles providing a good experience and some consoles unable to play it at a good level, if at all.. it's about as hardware fragmented as you can get. Personally if I were wanting to get into console gaming again having a consistent experience would be one of the reasons why I'd do it in the first place, never mind the relatively lower cost.. if I'd have to play the mix and match game and then shell out a lot of money on top of it I'd just stick to the PC in the first place, whats the point otherwise.

#40 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,783 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:46

Hardware "fragmentation" hasn't hurt PC gaming one bit, why would it hurt console gaming? I don't think you quite get what fragmentation means, it's not what Apple claims it is when talking about Android, look it up

It hasn't hurt PC gaming because that's the expectation with PC gaming. You know what youre getting into with that. People buy consoles to avoid that.

#41 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• 5,336 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:46

"No Longer Possible" for Consoles to Better PC Graphics

Has it ever been?

#42 OP theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,082 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:49

As pointed out in the interview, the PS2 was more powerful than PCs at release.

#43 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,783 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:10

As pointed out in the interview, the PS2 was more powerful than PCs at release.

Yeah, and that was 13.5 years ago, and yet consoles are still going strong. Mainly because that's not the reason people are buying them.

#44 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

• 1,259 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:17

WOW, Nvidia is like that rejected wannabee girlfriend. You say no and then she starts throwing dirt at everything. At first it was cute, but now it's like shaming the brand (which I'd take anyday over ATI). Knock it off, PR tards, I know it's trendy to be very aggresive in marketing now, but this is just lame as sh*t.

Also, SHIELD is born dead.

#45 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,587 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 14:19

I'm guessing you meant he GDDR5 memory in the PS4 right? Or the eSRAM. Surely those are ahead of PC in terms of bandwidth but those alone don't mean that they are ahead. The processing power of the CPU is far behind what we can have in  PC's (SC2 still uses CPU for the most intense part afaik), also the SSD's (be it SATA 3 or PCI-E) and many more factors to consider.

I'm talking about what AMD calls hUMA. Kaveri will be a weak incarnation of that (early reports is somewhere around an HD 7730 or 7750). It's orthogonal to GDDR5 (you can do hUMA with whatever memory), although it's the kind of thing that scales well with bandwidth so that's why PS4 went with super fast memory and Xbox One has that 32MB of super fast memory as well.

I'm aware the consoles will be largely inferior in raw numbers, my point is that a fully shared memory design means that offloading computations to the GPU is way easier and more efficient (no copying data back and forth to dedicated VRAM, CPU can get direct pointers in GPU memory and vice-versa), this means that console games can be optimized in ways that aren't feasible on PC right now. Even on the current-gen the raw numbers on PC vs the difference in quality vs consoles in games was way off, I think the difference will be even more pronounced on next-gen.