update: AMD GPU Showcase livestream

Since I'm still rocking my Core i7 920 and this x58 mobo I don't see how moving up from my HD7870 will help performance much when I've got other bottlenecks going on.  

The new cards do look nice and if I had the new gen CPUs and chipsets to better take advantage of them then I'd think about upgrading.  But for now looks like i'll be behind.

AMD should have just announced the price for the 290X with the rest of the cards. Now some sites are reporting "Rumors abound the event are that the R9 290X will retail at around the 780 price point".

I'll be upset if the price will end up even higher than that.

AMD should have just announced the price for the 290X with the rest of the cards. Now some sites are reporting "Rumors abound the event are that the R9 290X will retail at around the 780 price point".

If the 290X can match and even beat the TITAN which is a $1k card why wouldn't AMD try and charge as much while still undercutting NVidia by a good margin?   I mean even at $700 that's a $300 difference, to some looking for the top of the top that's a good bit of cash to save between the two.  Why should or does AMD have to price it as low as possible when it's direct competitor is still priced up so high?

I wouldn't buy too much into that price. Even tomshardware said it's an 1K card when AMD had already said it won't even be close to that. But well it's normal for that site, the authors there are just so brainwashed that they'll do everything to bash AMD.

If the 290X can match and even beat the TITAN which is a $1k card why wouldn't AMD try and charge as much while still undercutting NVidia by a good margin?   I mean even at $700 that's a $300 difference, to some looking for the top of the top that's a good bit of cash to save between the two.  Why should or does AMD have to price it as low as possible when it's direct competitor is still priced up so high?

To sell more. If it's going to be at $500 a pop, I'm getting two.

To sell more? They need to make profit on them as well. It's not just the manufacturing costs that go around, R&D, lobbying etc.

Tho 1k for a card is already too much, that's not profit, that's milking.

Also that 780 price point can't be true since you can get an 7990 for that money already and as AMD said they won't price single cards as high as dual gpu cards.

To sell more. If it's going to be at $500 a pop, I'm getting two.

I get what you're saying but you're the minority.  Honestly I'd like to see a break down of how many PC users or just PC gamers overall actually do SLi/CrossFire because I think the % is in the single digits.

To sell more? They need to make profit on them as well. It's not just the manufacturing costs that go around, R&D, lobbying etc.

Also that 780 price point can't be true since you can get an 7990 for that money already and as AMD said they won't price single cards as high as dual gpu cards.

If you sell more for less, you're making profit. If they're pricing it at $500 and I'm buying two, that's 1k bucks. If they price it at $700 and I'm buying only one, that's $300 lost just from me.

And I'm sure I won't be the only one that will buy more than one, if the price is right.

I'm not bothering with if it's right, or wrong now. For me every price point is wrong, until it's official. I just hope they'll hit my sweet spot.

I get what you're saying but you're the minority. Honestly I'd like to see a break down of how many PC users or just PC gamers overall actually do SLi/CrossFire because I think the % is in the single digits.

I've got four PCs. Wasn't intending to go crossfire.

Shouldn't the 7990 see a price cut though?  Maybe to $650 or so because it doesn't sound like it's the top card performance wise anymore, so they should account for that at least.

Shouldn't the 7990 see a price cut though?  Maybe to $650 or so because it doesn't sound like it's the top card performance wise anymore, so they should account for that at least.

It is already 650 on newegg actually. My bad. But like I said the new one will be under that since AMD already said in Forbes that they won't price single gpu cards over dual gpu ones, I'm guessing even if it's last gen dual gpu.

It looks like AMD's console dominance will lend itself well to improved PC gaming performance. Next-gen game will be optimized right off the bat for the Graphics Core Next architecture. With AMD's Mantle API for PC, some of those optimizations can carry over for better performance. It'll be interesting to see how much of a performance boost AMD systems will get over DX11/11.1. Maybe their investment in 8-core CPUs will finally pay off. Could AMD finally take back the performance crown from Intel and NVIDIA?

It looks like AMD's console dominance will lend itself well to improved PC gaming performance. Next-gen game will be optimized right off the bat for the Graphics Core Next architecture. With AMD's Mantle API for PC, some of those optimizations can carry over for better performance. It'll be interesting to see how much of a performance boost AMD systems will get over DX11/11.1. Maybe their investment in 8-core CPUs will finally pay off. Could AMD finally take back the performance crown from Intel and NVIDIA?

From Intel - That's not really utopia if you think about it. The 8 core FX's are already out there and last year Jim Keller (the original architect of K8) came back so all the automated design process that AMD did on BD/PD will be probably looked over by Keller and there will be changes to the cores or the whole arch itself. Already the win of both consoles is a good sign for AMD and developers will finally start making use of the 8 cores even on PC.

From Nvidia - They might.

From Intel - That's not really utopia if you think about it. The 8 core FX's are already out there and last year Jim Keller (the original architect of K8) came back so all the automated design process that AMD did on BD/PD will be probably looked over by Keller and there will be changes to the cores or the whole arch itself. Already the win of both consoles is a good sign for AMD and developers will finally start making use of the 8 cores even on PC.

From Nvidia - They might.

In any case, things are looking really good for AMD. They caught us by surprise with the new API as well as the R9 290/290X's audio feature (TrueAudio).

My FX8350 and R7950 are ready :D I knew buying more or less reference hardware would pay in the long run... except for True Audio, then again I have my creative Z and very happy with the SnR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Prices for the 290x were revealed. A bit higher than I expected, but within my sweet spot.

550-600usd

Now to wait for games to make use of the TrueAudio; which I'm looking for more than Mantle.

If you sell more for less, you're making profit. If they're pricing it at $500 and I'm buying two, that's 1k bucks. If they price it at $700 and I'm buying only one, that's $300 lost just from me.

And I'm sure I won't be the only one that will buy more than one, if the price is right.

I'm not bothering with if it's right, or wrong now. For me every price point is wrong, until it's official. I just hope they'll hit my sweet spot.

I've got four PCs. Wasn't intending to go crossfire.

That's not how profit works. If it costs AMD $500 in materials, manufacturing etc, for a single card, they're making $0 profit in your first scenario, and they're making $200 profit in the second scenario if you only buy one.

Yeah, I decided to purchase 2 R9 290X's because I'm very interested in Mantle. While I still have my Nvidia GPUs, I might just build another PC for testing with G-Sync when the chips/monitors are released.

I think this is a Win/Win for everyone. if AMD and Nvidia compete for supremacy, thats equates to better products and prices for the consumer.

then guys like me who buy OEM Toshibas win because they simply cut down the pipelines in their mobile processors but they are STILL powerful for gaming.