iOS 7 looks better on screen then on hand

iOS7 looks like Apple's version of Sony's "My First Sony" - in this case "My First iPhone"...a dated reference perhaps but a propos since it does make it more child-like in my opinion. I have mixed feelings about it. some stuff I think looks good and some stuff looks extremely bad. especially if I have a brown wallpaper as then it makes turds out of my folders...

It is the colors and only the colors that they chose to use on why I do not like it. They are just to bright for my own personal tastes.

To put it in perspective, this is currently what my Android Desktop looks like.

Android_DESKTOP.png

While some of the colors can be considered bright, they are not as pastel as the ones used in iOS.,

Some of the new icons do look really bad, especially the Game Center one.  I think if you use a colorful background wallpaper, the colors would be too overbearing.  

I took a picture with my finger over the lens to get a completely black picture, and use that as my background.

The icons give enough color by themselves, and the black background keeps it look nice and clean.  Just my opinion, obviously.

The icons give enough color by themselves, and the black background keeps it look nice and clean.  Just my opinion, obviously.

It's so weird though how Apple seems to have chosen pretty much the worst possible backgrounds for demonstrating iOS 7. The dynamic background looked particularly horrible in early product shots (also just my opinion). Are there really people out there who like it that way?  :cry:

It's so weird though how Apple seems to have chosen pretty much the worst possible backgrounds for demonstrating iOS 7. The dynamic background looked particularly horrible in early product shots (also just my opinion). Are there really people out there who like it that way?  :cry:

Yeah I couldn't stand any of the options they included.  They just look way out of place.  I wish they would have included all sorts of solid colors, but getting a black one was easy enough using the camera.  All I have to say is, yikes!

I really like the idea of blurry translucent layers that give a "bokeh" effect to the current wallpaper in use, if done right, it looks pretty and gives great significance to the main method of customization on iOS, but whenever the wallpaper is not in sight having completely large white areas with one bold pastel color is not a good idea. It almost seems like Apple wanted to take the completely opposite way of android's default dark holo look and went with completely white backgrounds in everything.

Some of the icons in my opinion look childish rather than simple, what especially drives me crazy is the inconsistency between icons with gradient backgrounds and others with flat background. Also with having some with normal (dark color at bottom) gradient and inverted (dark color at top) gradient.

Ehm, if we are going to talk about something that looks good, it need to be very clean and it needs to have the same type of color scheme / theme on everything and not something that looks like it's coming from Teletubbies Rainbow heaven.

Here is my homescreen on my Galaxy S4 now.

Screenshot_2013-06-23-03-10-11.png

In other words, the iOS 7 color scheme and the way things look and are organized there are horrible.

This is something i sat up on my Galaxy S4 in 10 mins. Think about how much more awesome this would be if i had spent like 1 hour on it :D ?

To be honest I've not really given it an awful lot of thought.. the only thing that's become obvious to me since the upgrade is that it's not really designed for the screen of the iPhone 4 (stuff is too 'big' making it feel cramped) and the iPhone 4 is really too slow to run it properly.. performance is pretty dire. Otherwise I'm just using it as I was before and not really thinking about it an awful lot. 

Or a few days.

Why should i use a few days on it when i can do it in 1-2 hours?

I can even write you a little guide how to set up the same homescreen as i have if you want. It's easy peasy.

Why should i use a few days on it when i can do it in 1-2 hours?

I can even write you a little guide how to set up the same homescreen as i have if you want. It's easy peasy

That's right... it shouldn't take long to make some changes on it..

I got mine done in under 1 hour.  I don't care about the themes that have bright/cool colors ...  and I got some settings changed as the way I want.. such as dim the brightness down, volume down, etc..

Honestly, I like colors. But pastel colors? I'm not so sure...

There are MANY icon packs you can install on a jailbroken iPhone that are better  than iOS 7 stock icons. That's not a problem with the OS... I think that's a problem with the iOS team. Considering these new icons may stay in iOS for a LONG time, judging by how long they used the old set of icons, I would be mad if I was still an iPhone user.  At least Apple, give your customers the choice to choose their icons.

Ehm, if we are going to talk about something that looks good, it need to be very clean and it needs to have the same type of color scheme / theme on everything and not something that looks like it's coming from Teletubbies Rainbow heaven.

Here is my homescreen on my Galaxy S4 now.

In other words, the iOS 7 color scheme and the way things look and are organized there are horrible.

This is something i sat up on my Galaxy S4 in 10 mins. Think about how much more awesome this would be if i had spent like 1 hour on it :D ?

Me too. I've been an iPhone user since the 3G, and I got all of them every year until the iPhone 5 came out. I dropped my 4S on the ground and I shattered the screen, I needed a new phone, and I had to choose between a Galaxy S 3 for 50$, or an iPhone 5 for 299$.  I didn't have 299$ to invest in a phone at the moment so I picked the Galaxy.

Finally I started to flash custom ROMs, Kernels, etc. and I rapidly realized Android offered me a better experience than iOS, based on my tastes.

The iOS ecosystem is great. It works well, it's fast and reliable... but after 4 years using iOS, I needed something new, and TBH, Android offers me possibilities that iOS can't.  It's a matter of taste I guess too.
I'm still an avid OS X user, and I love my rMBP + Mavericks. It's a near-perfect experience for me and for my needs. But in mobility, I personally think Android is a more fun OS to use.

Ive been with Apple since iPhone 3G & have owned all their phones since then but, this is exactly the kind of stuff that will make a convert of me in the future.

You're right. It is the flatness of the OS that gives it the 'toy' kinda look.

And wait what do you mean by no real retina display, doesn't the iPhone 4 come with a marketed Retina display?

Also, I want to agree with you but can you be a little more specific on what the real measure of iOS7 is? Why would the sales on the less expensive non Retina hardware be a measure of success for iOS 7? Is it because the iPhone 5C will enter a new market for Apple?

I simply said that not all the hardware that supports iOS 7 includes a Retina display - and this is especially true of older hardware (such as certain iPads) - does the iPhone 5c include a Retina display, for example?

Now look, far be it for me to suggest I know anything about this sort of thing, but just look - I feel a little drop shadow helps.  My take on the new looks is kinda that they were looking for a pseudo-3D - flat layer at different depths...

post-21654-0-78831800-1380235157.jpg

iPhone 4 was the first "retina" iPhone.  I remember cuz when I got mine, it felt slower and laggy compared to the 3GS, because of the Retina display hardware requirements versus the 320x240 3GS . Things got better with the faster iPhone 4S ;)

Now look, far be it for me to suggest I know anything about this sort of thing, but just look - I feel a little drop shadow helps.  My take on the new looks is kinda that they were looking for a pseudo-3D - flat layer at different depths...

I still don't like the colors, but it looks better I agree. Apple REALLY needs to allow users to change default icons... As I said a few posts before, there's some beautiful icons packs on Cydia that looks more professional than iOS 7 default icons.

I had the opposite reaction.  I detested the screen shots I saw of it, but once I used it on my hardware I think I immediately concluded it was far better than iOS 6 feature wise and I could get use to the bright kid-like colors.

• Like 2

the iPhone 4 does NOT have a Retina display by default)

Yes it does. I have a iphone 4 and it does have retina display. That's why everything looks so smooth and sharp while my ipad 2 doesn't have retina and looks jagged around the edges.

The only thing that irks me about iOS 7 is the chrome is white. Given they have color-matched wallpapers, would have been cool if the chrome could also go black (or "space gray") on the appropriate hardware.