My Message to Android Device Makers

Something needs to change soon about how Android updates are rolled out. Android devices are selectively and slowly updated to new Android versions and is really not fair to Android users! When you spend hundreds of dollars on a tablet, you should get all the updates that come out and not completely ignored at times. Google should take notice of how deplorable and slow android manufacturer's update rollouts are. I believe Android version updates should be controlled entirely by Google rather than the manufacturers, to make sure all devices always get the newest android versions!

It's mainly a carrier problem. For example, my carrier AT&T, has to put their proprietary crap on their phones, and Google can't update the phones without going through the carriers. It's just a big mess. Apple never allowed the carriers to have that much control of their platforms. 

• Like 2

It's mainly a carrier problem. For example, my carrier AT&T, has to put their proprietary crap on their phones, and Google can't update the phones without going through the carriers. It's just a big mess. Apple never allowed the carriers to have that much control of their platforms. 

Hello,

Growled is completely right. Its not a brand or a Google problem: Its a carrier problem.

Amen to this! Same can be said for my dad's Lumia 820 on AT&T. No GDR2 on it yet either! I want to go the route of Android and "root" in that sense with a rom. Is it possible with the Windows Phones?

Had not my iPhone 4S gone bad and I got a 5, I would still have iOS 7 on a 2 year old device! Compare that with the Galaxy S2 having KitKat WITHOUT the need of root at the SOFTWARE MANUFACTURER's level.

One thing I've learned the hard way is newer isn't always better. My experience has been than when Android devices are updated, they are usually slower and buggier than they were before. I've never owned a Nexus so it might be different with them. I'll happily stick with my 4.1.2 version for the foreseeable future.

I've always just upgraded my own ROM. I mean hell, your computer doesn't just turn on one day and update itself, right? It's not hard and if you're on this message board you probably are capable.

But if you don't want to deal with it then do like mentioned before and get a Nexus or at least a Google Edition phone. I bought the AT&T HTC One and converted it to Google Edition and it gets OTA updates shortly after Nexus phones do now.

Speak with your money if you want to see a change. It's the only thing companies will listen to.

Amen to this! Same can be said for my dad's Lumia 820 on AT&T. No GDR2 on it yet either! I want to go the route of Android and "root" in that sense with a rom. Is it possible with the Windows Phones?

Had not my iPhone 4S gone bad and I got a 5, I would still have iOS 7 on a 2 year old device! Compare that with the Galaxy S2 having KitKat WITHOUT the need of root at the SOFTWARE MANUFACTURER's level.

There are pros/cons to the iOS model. Sure the iPhone 4/4S get iOS7, but they are missing some functionality. Plus, I have seen my coworkers who are furious at Apple for making their 4/4S slow, worse battery life with iOS7. Hell I even notice slowness with my iPod Touch 5G. But, you have iOS7 - personally I would rather have a smooth experience even if I was missing features of the latest/greatest OS. It's also a marketing strategy - sort of forces some consumers to upgrade to another device.

At least with Android, you have the option to root/ROM your device. 

This is where the iphone has a real advantage.   And yes older phones may not get certain features are become slow. But the applications seem get updated faster on ios and take advantge of new features. This makes app much better on ios then android.    Google basically as much as it could to the play store but still is a problem.  

Buy only Nexus, Play Editions, Moto X, and the new line of Motorola Droids. They all have vanilla, or close to it, OS installs and will always get updates faster than any other OEM.

This is where the iphone has a real advantage.   And yes older phones may not get certain features are become slow. But the applications seem get updated faster on ios and take advantge of new features. This makes app much better on ios then android.    Google basically as much as it could to the play store but still is a problem.  

Google needs needs to separate the basic OS from the bloatware the carriers put on it. That way they could update Android on any device and then the carriers could do just whatever it is that they do. 

Android devices require drivers. Kernel changes result in changed in the way drivers interact with the OS. This requires work from the driver providers to keep the devices functioning.

It's not as easy as simply "updating" to the latest version. This is evidenced by tablets where in there are no carriers to affect the issue.

Anyone who has spent serious time on XDA can tell you that each time an update for Android comes out, it takes noteworthy time to fix the previous versions of code up to work with the new android release.

The issue above is amplified by carriers when it comes to phones. The above alongside carriers actively resisting patches means that phone users get well ######ed in the end. The problem is the above is much more nuanced than I believe a lot of people in this thread understand.

I have 4.3.3 running on my Acer Iconia a500. It's a 4 year old or so tablet. Still works nicely, but there are a couple of extremely dedicated devs who do nothing but fix driver issues and software issues whenever a new version of Android releases. Imagine this process for 100 different devices, and you can see why a lot of companies don't contribute much time to it.

Regarding GDR2 on WP8, when GDR3 releases, you'll definitely get pushed to it. Carriers can delay patches, but there is a requirement that they publish them eventually. On top of this, you can also flash the new rom directly onto the device. I for instance have a Telstra Lumia 920 that I have a debranded ROM for just sitting here waiting to flash. The process works nicely and is low risk.

Lastly, I would recommend reading this article: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/how-google-updated-android-without-releasing-version-4-3/

Google have been working on it for a while, it'll get better over time.

Google needs needs to separate the basic OS from the bloatware the carriers put on it. That way they could update Android on any device and then the carriers could do just whatever it is that they do.

but android is open source.

It has nothing to do with proprietary crap they add.

The carriers just send the compiled apps to the OEM, which drops them in.  The process takes minutes at most.

Carriers do not build their own bloatware crap.  They hire an outside source, which creates and maintains it for them.  The carrier also does not crack open the firmware update to drop them in, especially since much of an Android update is patch files, and not full versions (depending on what is updated).

It is the custom OEM skins,  approval process, and testing from the carrier that slows things down.

It has nothing to do with proprietary crap they add.

The carriers just send them to the OEM, which drops them in.  The process takes minutes at most.

It is the custom OEM skins,  approval process, and testing from the OEM that slows things down.

Nope. Carriers regularly block updates because all updates "must" be tested to ensure they won't affect the network adversely.

Thus many carriers just choose not to do the tests, deny the updates because they aren't tested and subsequently force people to buy a new phone if they want the more recent software.

Epicly scum baggy..

EDIT::

The skins don't usually take much time to update, but they do occasionally add to update delays.

Android devices require drivers. Kernel changes result in changed in the way drivers interact with the OS. This requires work from the driver providers to keep the devices functioning.

It's not as easy as simply "updating" to the latest version. This is evidenced by tablets where in there are no carriers to affect the issue.

Anyone who has spent serious time on XDA can tell you that each time an update for Android comes out, it takes noteworthy time to fix the previous versions of code up to work with the new android release.

The issue above is amplified by carriers when it comes to phones. The above alongside carriers actively resisting patches means that phone users get well ****ed in the end. The problem is the above is much more nuanced than I believe a lot of people in this thread understand.

I have 4.3.3 running on my Acer Iconia a500. It's a 4 year old or so tablet. Still works nicely, but there are a couple of extremely dedicated devs who do nothing but fix driver issues and software issues whenever a new version of Android releases. Imagine this process for 100 different devices, and you can see why a lot of companies don't contribute much time to it.

Regarding GDR2 on WP8, when GDR3 releases, you'll definitely get pushed to it. Carriers can delay patches, but there is a requirement that they publish them eventually. On top of this, you can also flash the new rom directly onto the device. I for instance have a Telstra Lumia 920 that I have a debranded ROM for just sitting here waiting to flash. The process works nicely and is low risk.

Lastly, I would recommend reading this article: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/how-google-updated-android-without-releasing-version-4-3/

Google have been working on it for a while, it'll get better over time.

Damn! How'd you get 4.3.3?! Lemme get some future Android too! :laugh:

Also, from my experience it's about an equal amount of time for OEMs and carriers to approve a new build. If anything it takes the carriers a lot longer sometimes, though carriers and OEMs both are getting better at speeding up the process.

• Like 1

ALL THE TYPO..

I meant 4.2.3 and I'm now on 4.3. EITHER WAY..

Shush you >.>

:D

I have to admit, ever since I converted my One to Google Edition with it's mostly AOSP set up and OTA updates I kind of forgot about updating to other ROMs. The quick OTAs are nice.

If only my Iconia could do that :P

I'm running CM10.2 on mine. It's pretty awesome, just a lingering bug with the mic and youtube being gaylord.

It's coming along nicely :D Got to love Randomblame (the dev who works on it).

Nope. Carriers regularly block updates because all updates "must" be tested to ensure they won't affect the network adversely.

Thus many carriers just choose not to do the tests, deny the updates because they aren't tested and subsequently force people to buy a new phone if they want the more recent software.

Epicly scum baggy..

EDIT::

The skins don't usually take much time to update, but they do occasionally add to update delays.

Sorry, I had a typo in there.  It is the carrier approval process, not the OEM.  You caught me editing ;)

In regards to the skins, they can take some time if it is a new (major change such as 4.0 to 4.1) version of Android because they have to tie it into the stock framework, usually.  It depends on how many changes were made to Android between releases.  I'd like to think that they can just drop their source in and compile, but I think that might be a little too optimistic.