Trazodone altering mind into violent?

trazodone violent anti-depressants aaron alexis

24 replies to this topic

#1 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,151 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:38

I just recently forwarded a link from my friend,
In that link it said that Trazodone which prescribed as anti-depressant are having side effect to make its users more violent.

http://www.presstv.i...s-on-trazodone/

Several murder cases over the past few years have been directly connected to Trazodone.

• Eight people were killed and one wounded during a mass shooting at a beauty parlor in Seal Beach, California in 2011. The killer, Scott Evan Dekraai, was on Desyrel, a commercial variant of Trazodone.
  • In 2009, Perley Goodrich Jr. beat his mother and then shot his father dead shortly after being injected with Trazodone in a psychiatric hospital. Goodrich had complained that he didn’t want to take the medication because it made him feel violent.
  • In 2009, Steven Foster shot a gas station attendant in the head before shooting him a second time. Bottles of Trazodone pills were later found in Foster’s room.
  • Marine Lance Cpl. Delano Holmes fatally stabbed an Iraqi soldier to death in 2007 after military doctors prescribed him Trazodone.
  • Indiana soldier Pfc. David Lawrence was taking Trazodone in combination with Zoloft when he killed a Taliban commander in a prison cell in 2010. Lawrence was charged with premeditated murder. According to the FDA, taking these drugs in combination can cause “altered consciousness, confusion, hallucinations and coma.”

#2 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,453 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:23

I just took some Trazodone ... I'm headed to the Post Office ... with my water pistol .... yeah man, the colors .... :wacko:

#3 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:08

though naysayers claim the drug is safe.

No drug is perfectly safe. Different drugs have different effects on different people. That said, we know this one is unsafe in some people. I think they should pull it and do some more testing on it. 

#4 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,920 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 26 September 2013 - 15:11

Most of these "antidepressants" do more bad than good. Doctors write them all day long, not even know how they work.. 

#5 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,453 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 16:43

^ No wonder doctors are depressed.

#6 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,937 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 26 September 2013 - 16:50

Most of these "antidepressants" do more bad than good. Doctors write them all day long, not even know how they work.. 

That's not true. My mother suffers from depression and they make a huge difference, despite the side-effects. They don't eliminate depression but they do make it less extreme.

#7 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,198 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 16:52

How is it possible to imprison someone when they were prescribed something like this?? Sure they kill someone, but how can it be their fault if their mind was altered by the drugs??

#8 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

• 2,278 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 16:58

I think theres prolly(imho) a stronger link between alcohol consumption and violence as a comparison, but I appreciate the concern regarding side effects of prescription drugs,

#9 fusi0n

fusi0n

• 3,920 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 18:45

That's not true. My mother suffers from depression and they make a huge difference, despite the side-effects. They don't eliminate depression but they do make it less extreme.

I said MOST

They do a lot of good for people that their bodies react well to the treatment..

If not, it can be a horrible situation..

Back when I first started having my heart issues, they put me on buspar to keep my calm.. It was four weeks of pure hell letting my body get "adjusted" to it.. Throwing up, insomnia, random aches and pains.. This is not your body getting adjusted, this is your body telling to stop putting this poison in your body. Coming off Buspar was just as worse as taking it. You get the "brain zaps", fatigue, along with insomnia. Horrible medicine. 

A few years back when I wanted to get my back better, they put me on Cymbalta for chronic pain.. Doctors will even tell you that they don't even know how it works, that it just does.. This was a horrible horrible experience.  Heart felt like it was beating out of my chest, insomnia, fatigue..

It isn't that it is just me.. I did a lot of research in these prescriptions.. there TONS of people that have horrible stories, a lot worse than mine about antidepressants. I know everyone is different, but there are tons of people that are on them that shouldn't be.

I have a family member that is on effexor... Totally changed him.. He fell into marriage that he normally would not have gotten himself into if he was not taking it. (There are actually lot of stories about people getting married while on effexor and coming divorced when they wake the hell up from the zombie trip). He is easily to be controlled now on it, he is always down and pretty much just depressing to be around.. He is not the same person at all..

The flipside, they have also done a lot of good for people that actually need them and their bodies react well from them. However, the goal is to eventually to come off of them, however doctors will keep you on them forever..

#10 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,365 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 19:14

Antidepressants are prescribed like candy because of 2 reasons:

1) It's an obvious choice

2) They doctors get MASSIVE kickbacks for prescribing them

Moreover, they are often prescribed and mismanaged.  They CAN be of use, but alongside counselling and therapy - on their own, they can reduce the symptoms but in the end they solve nothing.

#11 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,937 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 19:26

I said MOST

They do a lot of good for people that their bodies react well to the treatment..

I don't dispute that they are over prescribed and in some cases are more harmful than the symptoms they are designed to tackle but I think it's a major stretch to say that most are detrimental to people's health and that doctors don't know how they work. Given the degree to which they are used you will of course find thousands or even tens of thousands of people that experience issues but that's a fraction of the millions of people receiving them.

PS - I am speaking from a UK perspective. I'm aware that there are some issues specific to the US with regards to financial incentives for prescribing drugs.

#12 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,039 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 19:38

Do you have any statistics to show this?

#13 fusi0n

fusi0n

• 3,920 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 19:45

I don't dispute that they are over prescribed and in some cases are more harmful than the symptoms they are designed to tackle but I think it's a major stretch to say that most are detrimental to people's health and that doctors don't know how they work. Given the degree to which they are used you will of course find thousands or even tens of thousands of people that experience issues but that's a fraction of the millions of people receiving them.

PS - I am speaking from a UK perspective. I'm aware that there are some issues specific to the US with regards to financial incentives for prescribing drugs.

fair enough.. US has a rampant problem with getting kickbacks from pharmaceuticals..

My main point is, if someone is on them, they need to be closely monitored like they need to be if on heavy pain medication. For example, regular physicians shouldn't be able to write them.. Only a licensed psychiatrist..  For long term use of narcotics, they refer you to a pain clinic, wouldn't be a bad idea to model that for antidepressants.   

I would also say that more people have bad experiences with antidepressants than any other type of drug out there. 

#14 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,937 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 20:14

My main point is, if someone is on them, they need to be closely monitored like they need to be if on heavy pain medication. For example, regular physicians shouldn't be able to write them.. Only a licensed psychiatrist..  For long term use of narcotics, they refer you to a pain clinic, wouldn't be a bad idea to model that for antidepressants.

I don't have a problem with antidepressants being prescribed by GPs, as it will be done under guidelines from psychiatric experts and medical boards. In the UK they are often prescribed in addition to counselling. Of course it's better to have more direct access with experts but there are costs involved and it might not be necessary.

I would also say that more people have bad experiences with antidepressants than any other type of drug out there. 

Probably, but that's more a statement of how many people are taking them rather than an inherent problem. The side effects are carefully considered when prescribing. Obviously there is a need for better treatment but drugs and behavioural therapy techniques are being constantly improved.

#15 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 10,212 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 20:19

Oh noooo!  LimeMaster has altered his limes ... I ate his lime and my mind is screwed up!  

I think he inserted the drugs in his limes... 

That bastard!

Anyone here with me to get a lawyer...

Joking, LimeMaster!   :p