Samsung Has Begun SIM Locking Its Phones Across The World To Home Regions,

Actually, there's no sensible reason for them locking the device even when you're in a contract, for the simple reason that you're in a contract.  You'll be paying for that device no matter what, and you can't get out of it without paying the ETF, which will cover the device cost anyway.

You do not own the device until you have paid for the phone in full.

I have a galaxy S4 on a 2 year plan started late last month. The phone belongs to Telstra until Sept 2015 then I own it. Though I treat it as my own because I am paying them for it. Just like a car loan. You don't own the car until you fully pay it off.

I'm sorry I can't agree with that. And Australia is a prime example.

The big companies simply can't be trusted with our money, it's that simple.

(For those unsure of what I mean: Think Adobe/Microsoft products purchased in Australia vs Overseas)

Practices like "region locks" shouldn't exist. It's just revenue raising. (N)

Problem is The more you shop overseas, the more higher the local prices goes. The more you buy locally, the lower the prices will go.

You do not own the device until you have paid for the phone in full.

I have a galaxy S4 on a 2 year plan started late last month. The phone belongs to Telstra until Sept 2015 then I own it. Though I treat it as my own because I am paying them for it. Just like a car loan. You don't own the car until you fully pay it off.

Ownership of the device is completely and utterly irrelevant. You cannot get out of the contract without paying for the device, and that's really the only point that actually matters when it comes to whether the device is locked or not.

Ergo, there's no logical reason for them to lock the device to their network, because whether you use them or not, you're still paying them for it. This is why, in the UK, you can just call up your service provider and ask for the unlock code, and they HAVE to give you one (they are allowed to charge a small admin fee).

What I find funny is how people were going on about how carriers were shunning Apple - anyone here ever thought that maybe the carriers were shunning Apple because Apple wasn't willing to do with Samsung has just done?