Microsoft demonstrates Halo 4 streaming from the cloud

gaming microsoft cloud

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 26 September 2013 - 20:28

Microsoft is building its own cloud gaming service. Company officials demonstrated a prototype of the service during an internal company meeting today. Sources familiar with the meeting revealed to The Verge that Microsoft demonstrated Halo 4 running on a Windows Phone and PC, both streaming the game from the cloud. We're told that the concept service runs smoothly on both devices, and that Microsoft has managed to reduce the latency on a Lumia 520 to just 45ms.

source

This is quite impressive; especially the 45ms latency.  I would REALLY love to play Halo 4 on my PC. 

#2 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 26 September 2013 - 20:31

The final nail in the coffin for Microsoft Games on PC. No more PC Games from their studios, the answer will just be "Why? You can just stream Xbox Games to your PC"

#3 OP kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 26 September 2013 - 20:42

The final nail in the coffin for Microsoft Games on PC. No more PC Games from their studios, the answer will just be "Why? You can just stream Xbox Games to your PC"

Yeah, I think there might be some truth to that.

#4 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 26 September 2013 - 20:46

Just because they're showing it can be done doesn't mean they're going to shift everything to that.  In the end though, but we're talking way down the line, lots of things will just be streamed to your client which will be nothing but a dumb terminal.   Once every last place gets super fast internet that is.   Till then this will be a bonus and shows that MS can do backwards compatibility this way going forward.

#5 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 September 2013 - 20:59

they are obviously bringing some type of streaming service to windows devices. they recently started hiring some guys like a guy who made steam what it is to work on the windows pc gaming team.

AAA titles on a surface RT ? YUP :laugh:

#6 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 September 2013 - 00:16

Xbox Infinity?

#7 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:11

This is very interesting considering that there was an interview with the Xbox head guy a while back where he said that they were considering a streaming service, something they wanted to offer.

It seems like they are farther along than I thought.  It would seem that MS I much closer to a Gaikai-like servce.  This could certainly be an issue for Sony, which is still trying to get its service going early next year for the US.

The bigger picture here is that MS seems to be very interested in created a game service, something that does not require certain hardware, something that can be accessed on a range of devices not possible before.  Look at MS' other work and you will see the pattern of migrating all of their software to the cloud and selling it as a service instead of individual copies.

#8 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:31

So the latency to what is likely their own servers in the same location as the test is 45ms... meanwhile, in the realworld where servers aren't right nearby, latency on input will be like dialup and unbearable.

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:40

So the latency to what is likely their own servers in the same location as the test is 45ms... meanwhile, in the realworld where servers aren't right nearby, latency on input will be like dialup and unbearable.

About the same or better than gaikai and onlive

Though when I tried onlive it was pretty unplayable.

#10 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:48

Why do you assume that their servers are in the same location?   We don't know where the game was streaming from, it could be right from a beta service running on some Azure datacenter and not in the same building.   

#11 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:41

Why do you assume that their servers are in the same location?   We don't know where the game was streaming from, it could be right from a beta service running on some Azure datacenter and not in the same building.   

Yeah that's what I was wondering as well.  I mean, no one has said the servers were at the same location.

#12 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:54

Because of the unrealistically low latency. Look up test on things like gaikai/onlive and you'll see why i say that.

#13 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:40

Because of the unrealistically low latency. Look up test on things like gaikai/onlive and you'll see why i say that.

Common sense should tell you that most of the latency comes from server processing and not the round trip. Even if its locally routed your probably still looking at a latency of 20ms~ due to latency mostly being throughput determined. Azure is the most competent server farming platform in the world.

#14 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2013 - 21:47

So what's the usual latency from something like Gaikai?

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 September 2013 - 21:50

How is it unrealistically low. I live put in nowhere using adsl, that is transmitted wirelessly from a mountain top nearby to the ISP server and from there to the world. And if I don't saturate my outgoing line I can easily get 16 to 20 pings within the country at least.