Computer crashing

Could be the USB 3.0 external HD spinning up. I would disconnect any unessential devices on boot, if you can. 

Just when I thought the clean install solved my problems, I blue screened while ripping some blu rays. I'm wondering if I should bump down the overclocking on my CPU. It's an i7 Extreme and supposed to be very overclockable and it's even water cooled. Maybe it's just not stable enough anymore...

Try dropping your overclock to 4.2Ghz instead of 4.25Ghz... But I should see no reason why your overclock isn't working properly with your system specs, but its worth a try. Or even if you can dropping to 4Ghz as this is still a good overclock, but it will make your system more stable.

But personally I've had my CPU clocked up to 4.8Ghz without issues, over that and my system starts to become unstable.

Yeah my system was built for over locking and the water cooling should all but guarantee stability. I'm not familiar with all the multiplier and such anymore so I just have it on "i7 crazy" right now lol. I guess I can try a step down, I may not notice much of a difference.

Just heard the computer reboot while sitting idle. It seems unlikely it's the overlocking if the computer is idle but I am going to try bumping down the overclock.

Upload your crash dump files and let someone take a look, will save time in figuring out what is wrong.

To find out where it is located go to your control panel, then system, then advanced system settings (in Windows 7) or the advanced tab (in Windows XP), click the startup and recovery 'settings' button.

Near the bottom of the startup and recovery settings window will be a dump file location text box which will specify where you can find it.

Also unplug everything that is not needed and remove any excess hardware to see if one of them is the problem, i.e. one video card, one stick of RAM etc. then if stable, add one component at a time and run for a while until the error occurs again. I would also think about your PSU and try another one if you can.

OK I'll look for the crash dump. This is Windows 8.1 btw. I did a memtest so I wouldn't think I need to take out any memory. The video cards could definitely be the culprit and my PSU is a beast and it would SUCK to have to replace it. I bumped down my OC'ing from 4.25GHz to 4 GHz and so far no crashes.

One thing to do any time you have computer crashes when you OC is to return to stock and see if the problems persist. If they don't, something is likely wrong with your OC... 

Yeah I know you're right tsupersonic. I'm just stubborn because I went all out with cooling and bought water cooling and the extreme is supposed to be super overclockable. I will say that since I went do to 4GHz, the BIOS posts much faster however I haven't spent a whole lot of time gaming or anything yet at 4GHz. If it keeps crashing I'll go to the stock clock and see what happens.

• 2 months later...

I can't find my original thread so I thought I would update for anyone that remembers it. I was having random crashes and freezes and in thought it was bad memory, video cards, etc. I finally clocked my CPU down to the stock click speed and I haven't had a single lockup or crash ever since. I'm just confused because the Gultown i7 Extreme was supposed to be highly overclockable plus I have it water cooled. Why can I not overclock this CPU which is supposed to be able to overclock easily plus I have it water cooled? Could it be the RAM I bought (which is also fan cooled)? Or is the Asus Rampage III Black edition just a bad choice in motherboards?

I have an i3 based htpc that runs perfectly constantly and I have it based off an intel motherboard. Is maybe intel the way to go on motherboard on my next build? Or are AMD processors taking over performance-wise? Right now I have water cooled system only running at 3.47 GHz but it does run any Game or app I throw at it smooth as butter. I was using mother board-based overclocking profiles like "i7 crazy" so I doubt anything was configured wrong. Maybe overclocking just isn't worth it?

There's no guarantee any components will ever operate outside of spec. Not RAM, not CPU, not GPU. Sometimes you just get a component that won't work reliably when overclocked due to physical defects. That's just how silicon wafer manufacturing works, there are never perfect yields.

That's the main reason I don't ever bother overclocking, because you never necessarily will end up with a stable build regardless of what you do regardless of temperatures. People generally assume that stable temperatures means a stable system, but that's not really true. It can and does happen that components fail at higher clock rates (or lower timings) even in stable temperature ranges. Sometimes the issues are transient, other times persistent. I think many a time, overclockers believe their builds are stable and chalk low rate errors (once every few months for example) up to software problems instead of the actual origin because like you they just assume that because their build was operating at a low temperature and a easily overclockable build that the issues must be elsewhere or they just generally don't care if errors come at a low enough rate.

I have been over clocking since my first overclockable system back in 2005. That system was a Pentium 4 north wood which were supposed to be big overclockers, but mine only got 200mhz over stock.

My current system is a core i7 920 that has been running at 4.2GHz, a 1.6GHz OC, for nearly 5 years.

While I agree that sometimes you just get a chip that won't go very far, I do not agree that you shouldn't try. If you do it right and thoroughly test all your settings before assuming they are stable then you are getting free performance.

In regards to your OC conundrum, there are so many guides for that chip on that motherboard (or the non Black Edition). I would follow them to the letter, and don't be afraid to tweak up the voltage if you have the temperature headroom from the water cooling.

Good comments guys. It never occurred to me that chips can't always be overclocked due to physical defects. I thought that since I had fans on my RAM and liquid CPU cooling that overclocking would be very stable. That seems not to be the case. Either that or the overclocking presets on the mobo do something wrong like not supply enough voltage or something. I think that with the current state of technology, clock speed has become less important. I can still run all my games maxed and run all the same apps all withe same perceived speed. Overclocking seems to gave become something that is good on paper but not really all that meaningful in everyday use.

Good comments guys. It never occurred to me that chips can't always be overclocked due to physical defects. I thought that since I had fans on my RAM and liquid CPU cooling that overclocking would be very stable. That seems not to be the case. Either that or the overclocking presets on the mobo do something wrong like not supply enough voltage or something. I think that with the current state of technology, clock speed has become less important. I can still run all my games maxed and run all the same apps all withe same perceived speed. Overclocking seems to gave become something that is good on paper but not really all that meaningful in everyday use.

If I ever did an OC for any reason these days, it would just be for the gpu. That's one area where you can really see differences. Of course, this assumes you are playing games that aren't hitting 60 fps, otherwise, like you said, it is just ends up as not really important like overclocking the CPU. I've made arguments on this forum that many people simply don't tend to do cpu intensive tasks. Unless, you have a specific use case (like video encoding) that you know will benefit, it's mostly just going to end up being something that benchmarks as faster, but isn't noticeable in day-to-day usage (barring placebo effects).

Re-wording because I misread:

According to the results, it looks like once you begin to get failures during overclocking (note: this is in general true for failure rates even if you aren't overclocking), it greatly affects failure rates afterwards. I suppose maybe that should be common sense, but it is interesting nonetheless because it shows that OCing definitely affects reliability.

So to bring this back to the OPs case, perhaps a system runs stable for a long while but eventually begins to fail at high clock rates consistently and afterwards can only run stable at stock rates.

• 3 months later...

To update this topic, snaphat's impression seems to be right. I ran overclocked at max with my liquid cooled heat sink and then the crashes. Ever since I've gone back to stock clock, I haven't had a single crash.