Photo

Linux Distro Search

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2013 - 15:36

When I boot up Debian Wheezy with lxde as the DE, it runs at less than 100 mb of memory. That's with a core Debian install and the "lxde-core" meta-package, however. Much better than the 700-800 MB I get with a clean install of Windows 7.

That being said, I tend to use Debian with xfce mostly, which seems to hover around 225 MB of RAM.

#17 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 27 September 2013 - 15:40

I use XFCE on Debian Wheezy, too. With all my applications I run, I only use 1.4GB out of my 8GB. I'm guessing that XFCE as their main DE, that they put more into it than you would put in it if you installed it yourself.

#18 OP MikeFu84

MikeFu84

m0o!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5 (KitKat 4.4.4 w/ Franco Kernel)

Posted 27 September 2013 - 15:53

When I boot up Debian Wheezy with lxde as the DE, it runs at less than 100 mb of memory. That's with a core Debian install and the "lxde-core" meta-package, however. Much better than the 700-800 MB I get with a clean install of Windows 7.

That being said, I tend to use Debian with xfce mostly, which seems to hover around 225 MB of RAM.

I use XFCE on Debian Wheezy, too. With all my applications I run, I only use 1.4GB out of my 8GB. I'm guessing that XFCE as their main DE, that they put more into it than you would put in it if you installed it yourself.

Ya part of my problem may be I only have 512 in this laptop. It does have a open slot to add an additional module.

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:12

I tried Point Linux, which is based on Debian Wheezy. I really liked it but I would have kept it on my machine but I never could get ripped videos to encode properly with Handbrake. The audio was out of sync with the video. I never have this problem with other distros. I wondered if it had something to do with the new multimedia libs that Debian uses. On Ubuntu based distros it always just works.

Just throwing that out there. Not asking for assistance since I've moved on.