Photo
florida 20 year sentence argument abusive husband self-defense law mandatory-minimum

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

【=◈︿◈=】

• 1,822 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 28 September 2013 - 17:22

So you get 20 years for firing a warning shot and you walk free if you kill someone. Murrica!

#17 necroxd

necroxd

Neowinian

• 366 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 17:25

So you get 20 years for firing a warning shot and you walk free if you kill someone. Murrica!

Read my post.

#18 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,887 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 17:28

Firing a warning shot into the air gets you 20 years in prison o_O. I mean, I could see jail but 20 years? When no one was hurt? Seems pretty steep. I'd except that if you were actually trying to hurt/kill someone that the minimum time would be 20 years.

What comes up, must come down. Who knows, maybe that round killed some innocent person walking. But yes it's very steep.

Guns are not made for warning shots, if you fire a warning shot, you might was well use it to kill. Didn't the Vice President say to fire a warning shot in the air?

#19 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,518 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 17:38

What comes up, must come down. Who knows, maybe that round killed some innocent person walking. But yes it's very steep.

Guns are not made for warning shots, if you fire a warning shot, you might was well use it to kill. Didn't the Vice President say to fire a warning shot in the air?

I don't believe in warning shots, I believe if you're gonna pull that trigger, then do so with the intent to kill.  However, in this case, the likelihood of it actually hitting somebody is pretty slim.  Bullets generally start to flatten out and break apart as soon as they hit something, not to mention how much velocity they lose every time they hit something, no matter how soft, and depending on the caliber, it might not have even left the roof, especially if it hit a stud or something.

I personally feel like this case was a bunch of bullcrap.  She shouldn't have gotten jail-time for it, but it happened to a black woman in the aftermath of Newtown, so everybody is wanting to pass "feel good" legislation, and put people in jail over stupid stuff so they can feel like they did something, or like they made an example out of some hardened criminal.

#20 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,304 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 17:42

um.. does anyone who is against this woman read the husband was abusive? the first sentence in the OP. if he is abusive, then yes she has a belief to feeling under the duress of fear.

#21 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,561 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 17:47

Firing straight up the air a falling 9mm bullet would hit a terminal (maximum) velocity of 100-150 mph on the way down, its speed limited by air resistance. Fired at an angle it could travel a mile or two and be going much faster.

Guns are not made for warning shots, if you fire a warning shot, you might was well use it to kill. Didn't the our extremely stupid, firearms safety ignorant Vice President say to fire a warning shot in the air?

Fixed, and yes. I wanted to dump ice water on the idiot as soon as he said it. Dumbass.

#22 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

【=◈︿◈=】

• 1,822 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 28 September 2013 - 20:04

Read my post.

I did. And that justifies 20 years, how? He was abusive, she should have just shot him dead.

#23 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,887 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 21:09

Firing straight up the air a falling 9mm bullet would hit a terminal (maximum) velocity of 100-150 mph on the way down, its speed limited by air resistance. Fired at an angle it could travel a mile or two and be going much faster.

Fixed, and yes. I wanted to dump ice water on the idiot as soon as he said it. Dumbass.

Yeah I know, still wouldn't a 150mph round falling kill someone?

I'm not agreeing with what the judge said. I just get tired of this whole gun talk. People, if you don't like guns, don't buy one. If you don't want to be around someone who might have a gun, move out of the US.

#24 SpeedyTheSnail

SpeedyTheSnail

Resident Snail Herder

• 1,561 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 21:24

if you had a gun in your hands and enough time to fire a warning shot then how is your life in danger?

Have you ever heard of escalation of force? We had it in the military, and the cops have it too.

Verbal warning, physical attempt to submit, non-lethal weapon (pepper spray, taser, etc), then lethal (shoot to kill).

#25 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 21:27

Yeah I know, still wouldn't a 150mph round falling kill someone?

I'm not agreeing with what the judge said. I just get tired of this whole gun talk. People, if you don't like guns, don't buy one. If you don't want to be around someone who might have a gun, move out of the US.

Absolutely. 

A somewhat relevant page on it - http://en.wikipedia....bullet_injuries

#26 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 21:29

Firing a warning shot into the air gets you 20 years in prison o_O. I mean, I could see jail but 20 years? When no one was hurt? Seems pretty steep. I'd except that if you were actually trying to hurt/kill someone that the minimum time would be 20 years.

Threatening someone with a gun is legally attempted murder, without ever firing the weapon. The fact that she fired it makes it worse. That is how the law is written nation wide. It is one of the first things they teach you when you take a carry and conceal course. Flashing your gun at someone, even while holstered and unloaded, can successfully be argued as attempted murder in court.

#27 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,887 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 22:19

Threatening someone with a gun is legally attempted murder, without ever firing the weapon. The fact that she fired it makes it worse. That is how the law is written nation wide. It is one of the first things they teach you when you take a carry and conceal course. Flashing your gun at someone, even while holstered and unloaded, can successfully be argued as attempted murder in court.

Domestic violence can easily be argued as attempted murder. Who knows if he would have stopped beating her.

#28 Neo003

Neo003

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

• 8,492 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 22:23

She should've just shot him and she could've got scott free.

#29 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,291 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 14:08

I could see this happening in California, there if you use a gun in any situation self defense or not you're in deep **** but Florida  :rolleyes:. I could see her getting in trouble for this but 20 years for a warning shot? give her like a year in jail..

#30 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,784 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:55

I could see this happening in California, there if you use a gun in any situation self defense or not you're in deep **** but Florida  :rolleyes:. I could see her getting in trouble for this but 20 years for a warning shot? give her like a year in jail..

Why give her any jail time? Wasn't she just standing her ground?