Photo

Remove Google Plus Link from Google Home Page?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jebus197

jebus197

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 15:03

OK so Google are agressively promoting Google Plus. Fair enough. But is there any Greasemonkey type script, or other trick I can use to remove the Google+ link from my Google Search home page. It seems if you sign up for a GMail or other account, you are automatically signed up for a Google+ account too. I am tired and mildly irritated by this and by companies assuming they have the right to sign me up for products I do not want and will never use. I am not looking for a debate on the ethics of doing this, or anything else for that matter. I am just looking for a way to cusomise my Google home page so it only includes things I actually want on it. I don't think iGoogle lets you remove this link, besides which I still only like my page to be very bare, with the plain old Google logo.

While I'm at it, is there any way to get rid of Google Doodles too? I am rarely amused by them and most are simply anoying.

#2 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 15:11

Adblock Plus with Element Hiding Helper (an add-on with it's own optional add-on) should help out here.

#3 OP jebus197

jebus197

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 15:58

Yeah that might work. But I'm hitting CTRL shift and K on Firefox and it's bringing up something called 'developer tools'. I didn't install this and it isn't a plugin, or an extension, so I can't uninstall it. I read this: https://support.mozi...uestions/955124 and disabled it. But now when I press CTRL, shift and K, nothing happens at all. Nada. So what next? Can I change the key combo for this extension?

#4 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 16:06

Ctrl-Shift-L might work on Firefox installs that have the developers stuff included by default. I use it on SeaMonkey

with Ctrl-Shift-K and that usually to work. I hardly use Firefox, since SeaMonkey does all that I need it to do.

There might be a way to re-assign the three key shortcut on either Element Hiding Helper or the developer stuff.

#5 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 September 2013 - 16:08

www.bing.com

;)

#6 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 September 2013 - 16:10

Just dont look at it?

#7 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

Posted 27 September 2013 - 16:12

You could just exercise your god given ability to ignore it... ya know?, just a thought :)

#8 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 September 2013 - 16:22

Why does it bother you so much?

#9 OP jebus197

jebus197

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 16:52

How about I just ignore the above 4 pointless and unhelpful posts ...

#10 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 27 September 2013 - 16:54

How about I just ignore the above 4 pointless and unhelpful posts ...

I sent you PM about it...

#11 OP jebus197

jebus197

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 17:01

Ctrl-Shift-L might work on Firefox installs that have the developers stuff included by default. I use it on SeaMonkey

with Ctrl-Shift-K and that usually to work. I hardly use Firefox, since SeaMonkey does all that I need it to do.

There might be a way to re-assign the three key shortcut on either Element Hiding Helper or the developer stuff.

Getting slightly complicated. There is no obvious way I can find to reassign these keys. I disabled the developer consol as per the above instructions I posted, but this just left these key combos dead, including CTRL, shift and L.

BTW the reason I use FF is *because* of customisations and extensions. I have been using it since before the Beta versions of FF. I have no intention of changing now.

#12 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 27 September 2013 - 17:08

Getting slightly complicated. There is no obvious way I can find to reassign these keys.

For the element hiding helper? Redefine "extensions.elemhidehelper.selectelement_key".

As far as filters go, I personally am using "google.com###gb_119" to remove the toolbar button, "||plus.google.com^", just to be thorough, "google.com###pmocntr2" to lose the Chrome spam on the main page, "||google-analytics.com^", and an addon called "Google/Yandex Search Link Fix" as sometimes I want to copy a URL from a search result and a tiny little URL will turn out a mile long otherwise, bloody annoying.

#13 DarkNet

DarkNet

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 17:17

You can disable Google+ without disabling Gmail. No script needed.

#14 OP jebus197

jebus197

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 17:31

You can disable Google+ without disabling Gmail. No script needed.

How? Does this remove the link on the Google home page?

#15 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 27 September 2013 - 17:37

BTW the reason I use FF is *because* of customisations and extensions. I have been using it

since before the Beta versions of FF. I have no intention of changing now.

I use SeaMonkey for mostly the same reasons, plus the fact that it officially used to be the Mozilla Suite before the

folks at mozilla.org turned their attentions to developing Firefox as their official main product. SeaMonkey came

about as a community effort to continue development of the Suite that Mozilla had effectively discontinued.

Although Seamonkey isn't officially a Mozilla product, it's built upon the same codebase as Firefox, while Mozilla

hosts their files from their servers and mirror servers, and has trademarked the SeaMonkey name and artwork.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!