Killer hornets sting 19 to death

Hornets and yellow jackets are our biggest problem when it comes to stinging insects. Fast, aggressive and just plain nasty.

We also have what we know as wasps -

The American great black wasp (Sphex pensylvanicus) sting HURTS LIKE HELL, but they aren't particularly.aggressive.

great_black_wasp_9223.jpg

The paper wasp is only aggressive when protecting a nest, but its sting can cause anaphylactic shock and death in some people. Avoidance is very, very wise.

640px-Polistes_africanus.jpg

Both are VERY important pollinators and prey on (or lay eggs in) numerous pests so they're looked on as gardeners friends.

Yup, they are related.

Pictures speak louder! :D

MevaN2c.jpg

KrbOciJ.jpg

These look like the ones we have.  I was raised calling them sand hornets, but when I googled "sand hornet" the pictures on the Wikipedia page are of a much smaller hornet with a different color pattern, so I did some searching and these pictures are of the kind we have here.  Vividly yellow and black, almost like a yellow jacket but a lot bigger, sometimes upwards of 2" long.  I smacked one with one of those electric fly swatters the other day and all it did was stun him, I had to sit there and hold the button for 5 seconds or so to kill it.

^ Dude, I know what you're sayin'!  I'm violently allergic to wasp venom.  Looking at those monsters gives me the shivers... I'm not sure even my epipen would work! :S

Has anyone ever actually read about these hellish creatures? 

They spit venom into the eyes of the victim and their sting contains a pheromone that attracts every other hornet in the area to come and sting as well. 

I wouldn't go to a country that's rife with these if you paid me!! 

Hong Kong?

No, it didn't happen in Hong Kong. Comprehend before you post.

Slight over reaction don;t you think.

Bit of politeness wouldn't go amiss here.

Thank ###### I live in Britian. We have nothing like this. The only phobia I have in life is wasps, so I'd be straight out.

You wouldn't like it here then - our area department stores have 10-20 foot shelf rows stocked with wasp & hornet sprays, and every now and then there's a news story that some house had its caulking fail and they found a whole exterior wall full of nesting wasps.

I'd rather deal with our rattlesnakes.

****. That. ****. 

Well that does it folks.  Time to nuke Hong Kong from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure...

Has anyone ever actually read about these hellish creatures? 

They spit venom into the eyes of the victim and their sting contains a pheromone that attracts every other hornet in the area to come and sting as well. 

I wouldn't go to a country that's rife with these if you paid me!! 

I've said this all my life... wasps/hornets are the only creatures in life that serve no purpose other than to spread true evil!

Thank **** I live in Britian. We have nothing like this. The only phobia I have in life is wasps, so I'd be straight out.

I'm with you on this, they freak me the hell out. I was stung for the first time this year and people were like oh I guess you arent scared anymore now that you know how it feels... erm, nope!

Slight over reaction don;t you think.

Bit of politeness wouldn't go amiss here.

"Comprehend before you post" is a slight over-reaction? In Neowin, when I see people diss faith beliefs at the slightest mention of the topic?

Typical liberal one-sided judging, where others must be tolerant and sensitive to them, but they can be like intolerant hippies to others. :rolleyes:

"Comprehend before you post" is a slight over-reaction? In Neowin, when I see people diss faith beliefs at the slightest mention of the topic?

Typical liberal one-sided judging, where others must be tolerant and sensitive to them, but they can be like intolerant hippies to others. :rolleyes:

seriously, dude?... get off your high horse