FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - Fort Worth Police say the city avoided a major tragedy on Tuesday night, when a man armed with a semi-automatic gun walked into a McDonald?s, pointed the gun at people and pulled the trigger.

Jestin Anthony Joseph, 24, was arrested, on suspicion of aggregated robbery with a deadly weapon.

The fast food restaurant was busy at the time, with customers like Davage Armstrong and his son, who were ordering at the counter when the man with the gun walked in.

Police say Joseph went to the counter and asked for a cup, then went over to the drink fountain.

Police say he the pulled out a gun, and began pointing it at people, asking for keys.

Surveillance video shows Joseph approaching Armstrong, aiming the gun at him, and pulling the trigger multiple times.

As Armstrong?s son runs for cover, the father tries to wrestle the gun away.

Police say Armstrong?s efforts to stop the shooter gave other patrons time to flee.

Joseph then runs out, fires off a shot in the parking lot and returns inside. Police say he went in and out twice, before officers arrived and arrested him.

?I?m still in shock. Glad to be here. I?m thankful to God that I?m still here and able to tell y?all this,? said Armstrong, Thursday evening.

?I?m pretty sure he was going to kill me,? the father said, adding that his only thought was to keep his son safe and try to stop what was happening.

Joseph spoke to CBS 11 News from inside the jail. He didn?t deny his actions, but said he thought someone was after him, and in that moment, lost his mind.

?My intention was not to go in there to do this. That?s what I?m trying to tell you. My intention was to get a cup of water and get out, but somebody said something, and I lost it,? Joseph said.

Joseph remains in jail on $500,000 bond.

source

video

post-37120-0-22790800-1380326937.jpg

Joseph spoke to CBS 11 News from inside the jail. He didn?t deny his actions, but said he thought someone was after him, and in that moment, lost his mind.

Sounds like drugs could be involved. Thank goodness the gun malfunctioned.

Jestin Anthony Joseph, 24, was arrested, on suspicion of aggregated robbery with a deadly weapon.

I think they need to add attempted murder to the charges, the gun malfunctioning has nothing to do with intent.

• Like 3