• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 September 2013 - 14:51

Is iTunes any good?

I am not a fan of Apple but it does seem to be the best way to manage a library of music, of which at the moment I do most of it manually using MP3Tag.

I don't really want a large bloating program on my PC but something to manage music (download and tag accordingly) and perhaps play random songs from selected folders.

I am not interested in purchasing any music through the program.

I didn't know if good old Windows Media player would be good enough, but isn't it just a player?  I'd also prefer the program not to sort my music into it's own sorting method (as the moment) as I have the bulk in one folder arranged by name.

Thanks

#2 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 28 September 2013 - 15:09

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

#3 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 28 September 2013 - 15:17

Media Monkey is good as a free product, but I use J River Media Center, and although it is a paid program, it's awesome for not only organizing your music collection but also renaming files, making playlists (as well as random ones).  And it's extremely fast!  Avoid iTunes on Windows; it's a bloated piece of junk that almost seems purposely designed to run slow on Windows PCs.

#4 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 September 2013 - 15:46

Media Monkey is good as a free product, but I use J River Media Center, and although it is a paid program, it's awesome for not only organizing your music collection but also renaming files, making playlists (as well as random ones).  And it's extremely fast!  Avoid iTunes on Windows; it's a bloated piece of junk that almost seems purposely designed to run slow on Windows PCs.

J. River Media Center is the most complete and feature packed Music Manager/Library/Player out there. I've been using it for a few years now and I have never looked back. The library is lightning fast, even when you have thousands of files. It's library views are great and be customized to your heart's content. Support images and video but I only use it for music.

I also use it for playing music on other computers, tabltes or phones (it supports DLNA) and also a web interface. It has a full-screen interface like Windows Media Player but this feature needs a little bit more polishing because it can lag at times when browsing on your TV with a remote control.

It has awesome DSP options like 5.1 encoding, room correction, volume normalizing, etc. and can sync/transfer content to iPod/iPhone and Android or Windows Phone devices too.

It's worth every penny if you ask me.

For a free alternative, you can use MediaMonkey which has plenty of features. Another good one is MusicBee but I haven't use it in a while.

#5 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 28 September 2013 - 15:55

iTunes\Mac

#6 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 28 September 2013 - 16:05

I use daap & fuppes. indexes a searchable library. also xbmc indexes to a mysql database which kinda helps... point is I'm terrible at managing things.

#7 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 September 2013 - 16:20

I use Windows Explorer (meaning I use my own folder structure) and Tag&Rename.

There on out, drag and drop.

I need something better too ;)

#8 einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

Posted 28 September 2013 - 16:28

iTunes 

#9 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:17

J. River Media Center is the most complete and feature packed Music Manager/Library/Player out there. I've been using it for a few years now and I have never looked back. The library is lightning fast, even when you have thousands of files. It's library views are great and be customized to your heart's content. Support images and video but I only use it for music.

I also use it for playing music on other computers, tabltes or phones (it supports DLNA) and also a web interface. It has a full-screen interface like Windows Media Player but this feature needs a little bit more polishing because it can lag at times when browsing on your TV with a remote control.

It has awesome DSP options like 5.1 encoding, room correction, volume normalizing, etc. and can sync/transfer content to iPod/iPhone and Android or Windows Phone devices too.

For a free alternative, you can use MediaMonkey which has plenty of features. Another good one is MusicBee but I haven't use it in a while.

Amen to that, brother!

#10 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:27

+1 to Jriver!

#11 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:29

Jriver has a free version called Jukebox http://www.jriver.com/mj/

Get the metroX skin to blend the look into windows 8 

http://maverick07x.d...etroX-327728200

#12 winrez

winrez

Chronic Master Debater

• OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit, Windows 8 64-Bit, Windows RT 8.1 (Surface)
  • Phone: Samsung Focus WP7.8/ Nokia Lumina 520

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:48

Zune Client

#13 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:19

I use Ryhthmbox.  It looks kind of like a Linux port of iTunes, it works with just about any music device you can plug in from Zunes to iPods, lets you edit tag properties on songs, and lets you sort and browse by album, artist, name, genre, etc.  It's not set up as an all in one "Media Player" though, so you won't by default see all your movies and stuff too, although I think it will play video files.  It doesn't touch your files either, you can configure it to watch multiple folders in different locations for new files, and that's where they stay.  The screen is pretty dominated by your music library.  It also lets you add internet radio stations, and is extensible with plugins, so in Ubuntu by default it lets you browse and buy music from the Ubuntu music store.

I know it's a bit much, but I've used it for years, and those minimalist players like XMMS just never quite did it for me.

rhythmbox.png

#14 spy beef

spy beef

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:24

Zune Player ftw

#15 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 29 September 2013 - 14:47

I have a folder on my Desktop called Music: 

It has 2 folders: 

Metal 
Other

All metal goes in metal.  All other (techno/hard) goes in other.

All bands have their own folders.. Inside that is a folder for each CD.  I then pick:  Artist->CD and click play all with WMP :D

Pretty easy and sorted.