How Do You Manage Your Music?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 02 October 2013 - 21:37

I use Spotify mostly these days too, but I also have a huge collection of .mp3s and other files from before these types of services were available and I still like to listen to them from time time, lots of rare tracks there that I can't listen anywhere else.

#47 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 October 2013 - 21:54

I use iTunes. I keep all of my media from iTunes organized on it's own partition within my 2nd HDD, in my Mac Mini. When I collect music from an Artist, I make sure it's the entire discography, and they have to be original iTunes albums. You'll know they're original if they're 320kbps and have "Explicit" labels (I'm actually having to bust a mission trying to get the originals for Drake). Naturally, I have over 125,000 songs. But I started from scratch not long ago, so it'll take me a long time til' I get back on track with all of my collections. Including my Blu Ray movies.

I'll be organizing shows like The Blacklist and The Legend of Korra too! I like to keep my entire Mac. You'll even notice my Dock. lol

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 5.48.16 PM.png

#48 TCA

TCA

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Android

Posted 07 October 2013 - 18:52

I use iTunes. I keep all of my media from iTunes organized on it's own partition within my 2nd HDD, in my Mac Mini. When I collect music from an Artist, I make sure it's the entire discography, and they have to be original iTunes albums. You'll know they're original if they're 320kbps and have "Explicit" labels (I'm actually having to bust a mission trying to get the originals for Drake). Naturally, I have over 125,000 songs. But I started from scratch not long ago, so it'll take me a long time til' I get back on track with all of my collections. Including my Blu Ray movies.

I'll be organizing shows like The Blacklist and The Legend of Korra too! I like to keep my entire Mac. You'll even notice my Dock. lol

Just use Amazon for some of the ablum art if you need it..What I do lol

#49 TCA

TCA

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Android

Posted 07 October 2013 - 19:04

i used to use WinAMP in the good old days, however in 2003/4 i switched to iTunes and ive never used another media player/library/organiser. For me it works incredibly well and allows me to easily setup playlists for my iOS devices. I also manage TV/Movies through it and it works like a champ. 

I used ti use Winamp too but would never use it's library feature as it wouldn't even add most of my music. Now I just use WMP to listen or my phone.

#50 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

Posted 15 October 2013 - 20:27

I dump all my favorite music into a single folder. I edit their tags so if I want to find a song by genre, year or something else I just sort them out with right click. Awesome.

#51 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 15 October 2013 - 20:33

I throw everything into iTunes and hope for the best.

#52 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 15 October 2013 - 20:37

media monkey come up ? (sorry to lazy to go through all the pages )

#53 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 15 October 2013 - 21:56

Just use Amazon for some of the ablum art if you need it..What I do lol

Amazon? Really? They don't even carry artists & producers that are in Trap Music.

#54 Rayhoo

Rayhoo

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:43

iTunes, the best music manage program by far. 

#55 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:10

I got totally obsessive on this subject, like a golfer who's swinging away at the 14th tee at midnight in a thunderstorm trying to figure out how to shave a few strokes off his game. So I wrote my own program to do it in C#. It was a learning experience, and a lot of fun.

Artists: 433

Albums: 1,126

Tracks: 14,953

Total Size: 123.99 GB

Total Duration: 42 Days, 18 Hours, 52 Minutes, and 16 Seconds

Organization

Disk Structure:

mmedia > audio > music > [Genre] > [Artist] > [Album]

The music folder is watched by a FileSystemWatcher. When a new album or artist is pasted into music the following is automated:

Album cover is downloaded from Google Images

Artist bio info is parsed from Last.fm and Wikipedia

Artist images are downloaded from Last.fm

Audio tags, including ratings and file and audio properties, are parsed and then stored in a local SQL Server database (over 40 fields per track). The new database rows are then synced to a non-local SQL Server, and the files mirrored to the same server via FTP.

The new database rows are converted to XML and stored in a file in the album folder (album.xml) and artist folder (artist.xml). A new full xml database of the entire library is made ever few days. File, album, and artist IDs and a few other properties are saved in the file's properties.

The database and xml files are also updated on any change to a file's tags, rating, location, etc.. Play counts are tracked for tracks, albums, and artists, as well as playtimes. It can also write and track file tags (keywords), and allows the creation of custom properties for tracks for organization, such as "favorite".

After creating this system, I then wrote an online interface to it and eventually a local interface, all in HTML5, AJAX, and jQuery (and ASP.Net/.Net). It had a kiosk view that displayed track info, album and artist images, and the artist bio. It also allowed browsing the collection through searching, or by artist or album with images, and by listening habits.

I created a media player for my desktop (an html desktop in a WebBrowser object) that remotes WMP using an existing plugin. So, I can control WMP from the desktop, load dynamic playlists based on the database (4 Stars, not listened to in last 6 months, etc..), keep bookmarks for long radio shows and audiobooks, etc..

Other than that, WMP :rolleyes:

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!