Photo

Did Apple pointlessly change the design of iOS with iOS 7?

ios ios 7

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 September 2013 - 22:32

363435-scott-forstall.jpg?thumb=y

In many ways, the change ruined the UI in many ways to the user in order spite Scott Forstall.

The real question is, has the new UI brought any benefit to the user? - The simple answer is no, and even worse, the new UI has actually negatively benefited the user. Example, why remove iconography in the Notifications panel that described the weather? We as users should not spend additional time reading 2 lines of text to determiner the weather, we should see an icon (like before) plus a High and Low temperature number. Done! Keep is simple Apple, not spiteful.

I think it has enhanced the UI in some ways, but worsened it in others. I agree it was better with the icon.

The multitasking tray, however, is much improved in this version.

Overall I think it's a lot better now. 

#32 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 September 2013 - 22:50

I'm not even an Apple fan and it was LONG OVERDUE. The old iOS interface felt so cheap and extremely gaudy. It was pretty much the most tacky software still in use. Ugly skeuomorphism that has no place in modern design. I'm glad they copied the WP and Android interfaces, they look a lot better. 

#33 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 28 September 2013 - 23:09

I'm not even an Apple fan and it was LONG OVERDUE. The old iOS interface felt so cheap and extremely gaudy. It was pretty much the most tacky software still in use. Ugly skeuomorphism that has no place in modern design. I'm glad they copied the WP and Android interfaces, they look a lot better. 

What he said, pretty much what I was going to say

#34 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 September 2013 - 23:19

People have been begging for a UI refresh in iOS for years. It wasn't pointless. It was getting to the point where people were actually leaving iPhone because it looked so stale, with no sign of change.

#35 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:54

When I first installed the beta I hated it, after using it for a couple weeks it really grew on me. When I went to do something on my wife's phone that was still running iOS6 it did feel dated and inferior. At this point I wouldn't go back and can really feel it's a huge step forward.

#36 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:00

Everyone that I know who updated to iOS 7, loves it.

#37 betasp

betasp

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails...

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:21

Apple is a hardware company. They redesigned IOS to help drive sales of the next generation of iPhones and iPads. Based on initial sales they certainly accomplished that.

#38 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:41

People have been begging for a UI refresh in iOS for years. It wasn't pointless. It was getting to the point where people were actually leaving iPhone because it looked so stale, with no sign of change.

This. Another reason Android has the Holo look I don't think it would go out of style as much as the ios skeomorphic design would. 

#39 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 September 2013 - 13:07

Apple is a hardware company. They redesigned IOS to help drive sales of the next generation of iPhones and iPads. Based on initial sales they certainly accomplished that.

That was why I asked what iDevice he was updating, remixed.

I pointed out that, even in the iOS Simulator, Retina devices and non-Retina devices look different when running the same simulated API - iOS 7 makes that even more obvious.

Most recent iDevices (AFAIK, the exceptions are iPods) are Retina devices - it's like GPU differences in Android hardware, or Windows Phone hardware, or even PCs (Vista, for example, had the greatest issue with, and pushback from, the low-end PCs with low-end GPUs or even those with non-GPU-based integrated graphics from Intel and others).

Now, I'm aware that there are Retina iPads - is there a way to spot whether a particular iPad is one (via System Preferences)?

#40 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 29 September 2013 - 13:34

Everyone I've spoken to, including people I know who are very against change, love it.  It's fresh, it's similar, and it seems snappier.

#41 darkz

darkz

Neowinian

Posted 29 September 2013 - 13:41

I have only heard people asking if downgrading was possible. 

So, has anybody successfully downgraded to iOS6 from non-beta7? 

#42 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 29 September 2013 - 13:43

iOS6 was in need of a refresh. I think the main problem here is were the users ready for this much of a refresh?
Of course the empty vessels always make the most noise so there is little point looking at the social networks to ascertain this.

#43 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 September 2013 - 13:45

Norton iOS 2013?

#44 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:45

Same. Everyone i know owns an iPhone and they all love it... only complaint i've heard off my boss saying it's too white and his lock wallpaper is pretty much white so he can't see the time he wanted to know if it could be adaptive to it's background.

#45 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:52

opposite experience.