• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 29 September 2013 - 00:46

I work at a popular office store in my free time, and when I went in today I saw we had boxed copies of 8.1 in the back and we had our internal copies in to install on our showroom PC's. We spent the whole evening upgrading them. No problems what so ever, the upgrade process was very smooth and fast. The PC's also felt pretty snappy compared to 8.0. I will take screens of build numbers, etc tomorrow. :)

Just thought you guys wanted to know...

#2 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:05

yeah October 17th, via the store and October 18th via physical purchase. they posted it back in August.

http://windows.micro...rywhere_Pos1_01

#3 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:05

Um... Not sure if living under a rock or.... but, we've known for a bit 8.1 is coming in October. :yes:

#4 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:09

Um... Not sure if living under a rock or.... but, we've known for a bit 8.1 is coming in October. :yes:

I'm in college, and work. I don't follow stuff like I used to.

#5 statm1

statm1

Neowinian

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:14

Tyler, I assumed you were aware of the Oct 18 release date and were alluding to it coming sooner due to it already being in stores more than 3 weeks early..

#6 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:25

Microsoft must be working in overtime doing yearly releases now. Unlike Mac, Windows can be installed on any PC and everything has to work properly. I wonder how the quality of yearly released Windows will be compared to 3-4 year released Windows (bugs, etc).

#7 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4 7.1.2 jb/ul

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:26

a lot of people are already running Windows 8.1 since all the ISOs were leaked and then put up on MSDN and Technet

#8 Devmer11

Devmer11

Microsoft Enthusiast

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:47

i've been running it since the isos leaked lol but thanks for the info though some people may not be aware

#9 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:17

One thing I don't like about RTM's or getting a new OS fresh after the release...(Windows at least, don't remember this on Mac or Linux when I was running their desktops) is that you then have to wait for the manfucturers, developers, etc...to build for the new version.  I have a few that don't want to run well in 8.1 but it is fine with me.  Only thing that tripped me up today was trying to find a driver for Android USB that would work with their SDK.  Not even Google had support for 64-bit at least.  Found one but it took a good hour or two of trial and error.

Later on in the aging of the system, you get ready access to this stuff and while I know 8.1 isn't public yet, I can't expect support right away, it is just a little annoyance compared to having the full benefits of a faster system. 

#10 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:50

I work at a popular office store in my free time

Ouch!!!  Doesn't sound like free time :(

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:41

a lot of people are already running Windows 8.1 since all the ISOs were leaked and then put up on MSDN and Technet

Haven't found an en-gb ISO yet so I can't upgrade since I don't want to reinstall everything.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:43

One thing I don't like about RTM's or getting a new OS fresh after the release...(Windows at least, don't remember this on Mac or Linux when I was running their desktops) is that you then have to wait for the manfucturers, developers, etc...to build for the new version.  I have a few that don't want to run well in 8.1 but it is fine with me.  Only thing that tripped me up today was trying to find a driver for Android USB that would work with their SDK.  Not even Google had support for 64-bit at least.  Found one but it took a good hour or two of trial and error.

Later on in the aging of the system, you get ready access to this stuff and while I know 8.1 isn't public yet, I can't expect support right away, it is just a little annoyance compared to having the full benefits of a faster system.

Getting the android SDK USB driver to install and work on anything not XP is nearly impossible, and if you tried and failed once it might be impossible afterwards.

#13 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:26

I'm in college, and work. I don't follow stuff like I used to.

Still a nice reminder for those that will get Windows 8.1 on October 17th (or 18th, depending on where you live). :)

#14 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:16

Haven't found an en-gb ISO yet so I can't upgrade since I don't want to reinstall everything.

The en-us version kept my uk language settings etc on upgrade.. or is there more to it?

#15 +theblazingangel

theblazingangel

Software Engineer

Posted 29 September 2013 - 16:56

Kind of going a little off topic here...

I was waiting for an en-gb release also, until I discovered that there was a language pack leak and with a a little work you can convert the en-us leak to en-gb with it. I actually used a script to automate the process, pm me if you want the link.

The only concern I have with this is whether I'll have issues with apps and the windows store, not that I really use them though...

The en-us version kept my uk language settings etc on upgrade.. or is there more to it?

If you try to do an upgrade with a different language version then you don't get the upgrade option to keep everything, applications, settings and data, only data if I remember correctly.