win8 winrt

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:05

I'm thinking about moving to Windows 8 when 8.1 is released.. but whats it like for gaming? does it work well with steam? steam big picture? XBOX controller drivers, etc..?

#32 NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks

King-ding-A-Ling

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:12

I'm thinking about moving to Windows 8 when 8.1 is released.. but whats it like for gaming? does it work well with steam? steam big picture? XBOX controller drivers, etc..?

Everything works great. Steam, Origin, Xbox 360 controllers, etc. It's the same as Windows 7, only faster, in my experience. 

#33 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:13

Everything works great. Steam, Origin, Xbox 360 controllers, etc. It's the same as Windows 7, only faster, in my experience. 

i'd +1

Found it to be faster and everything works fine. 

#34 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:19

Is it a free upgrade to those already running Windows 8?

#35 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:21

Is it a free upgrade to those already running Windows 8?

Yes

#36 FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 00:16

The high-end Asus sold in China was pre-installed with win8.1 in easrly Sept., couldn't understand what's the big deal in it. :/

#37 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 October 2013 - 15:30

The en-us version kept my uk language settings etc on upgrade.. or is there more to it?

Kind of going a little off topic here... I was waiting for an en-gb release also, until I discovered that there was a language pack leak and with a a little work you can convert the en-us leak to en-gb with it. I actually used a script to automate the process, pm me if you want the link.
The only concern I have with this is whether I'll have issues with apps and the windows store, not that I really use them though...
If you try to do an upgrade with a different language version then you don't get the upgrade option to keep everything, applications, settings and data, only data if I remember correctly.

The problem is that since the 8 install I have is en-GB base, it won't upgrade to 8.1 without removing all the installed software.

You mean a script that will convert the actual install ISO to en-gb ? Could be interesting, though through my many google searches I have not come across either the problem or a solution with other people.

#38 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 October 2013 - 15:35

Guessing you don't have MSDN access :( I downloaded "en-gb_windows_8_1_x64_dvd_2707421.iso" the other day for testing..

Hence the no leak part ;)

#39 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 October 2013 - 15:36

Guessing you don't have MSDN access :( I downloaded "en-gb_windows_8_1_x64_dvd_2707421.iso" the other day for testing..

Hence the no leak part ;)

The usb drivers for the Android SDK are for older Nexus devices that use the unified driver, so it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't work most of the time.

Nexus 7(2012) didn't use it.
Nexus 7 (2013) probably doesn't use it (I haven't plugged it in to see).
Galaxy Nexus didn't use it.
Nexus 4 probably doesn't use it.

Almost no non-Nexus devices use it either.

Sony uses it, though with a different .inf. there's a problem with that though, since their instructions are based of off an old version of the android SDK,and they completely changed the structure of it since and the drivers aren't there as they where anymore.

#40 AStaley

AStaley

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64, OSX Mavericks, Elementary OS, Server 2008 R2/2012 R2, CentOS.
  • Phone: iPhone 6 (IOS8)

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:50

Is it likely next patch Tuesday (15th Oct) we will see the GA updates that Microsoft were talking about releasing?  Are the backend servers that Win8.1 required now live, what isn't working in 8.1 that requires these servers?