Hi people. Since two years ago I've been saving up some money to buy a new PC. I'm currently under a Dell XPS M1530.
- Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4 GHz. (2 cores)
- Screen: 1680 x 1050
- Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT @ DDR3 - 256 MB
- 6GB DDR2 - RAM.
- Screen: 15.4"
- HDD: 320 GB @ 7.2 KRPM
I bought this guy for 1,800$ back at 2008. Yesterday it was its 5th “boughtday”.
I'm the type of guy who you give power and use power. This PC usually suffice for all of my tasks:
- Web designing/programming (Illustrator, Dreamweaver)
- Word Processing
- Full HD video (Except 10-bit FHD... I use MPC, and the only way I can play FHD 10-bit FLAC is by setting the render to Overlay Mixer... Quality not so good)
- Web Browsing
- Video Encoding (Usually 720p)
- Basic CAD.
What I'd like to do that my PC doesn't do that well:
- Video Editing - 720p and 1080p. I currently can't use any of the Premiere/After Effects programs because my computer can't keep up with it.
- Much faster video encoding. This PC usually takes 50 mins to encode a 720p. And about 2 – 3 hours encoding 1080p using MeGUI.
- Some gaming. To be honest, I don’t game a lot, although I love gaming (shooters, adventure, and action games, no MMORPGs)! I spend most of my free time tampering with web programming and installing stuff on the PC for tweaking. Nonetheless, there are times in which I’d like to play a couple of FPS (Bioshock Infinite for example.), third person adventures (AC, the upcoming Watch Dogs) or some high rated games such as Gone Home with some decent settings, which is impossible to do with my current PC and 360. Much of the online multiplayer games like Halo, Battlefield and other FPS I play with friends are usually on the 360.
Issues with the PC right now:
- I live in a hot country, Dominican Republic (Caribbean). Usually the temperature fluctuates between 86°F – 100°F (30°C – 38°C). This PC suffers from getting its video card hot. The 8600m GT usually blasts at 80°C, and when on idle it sits ~74°C. I have it over a power matt which usually helps it. Unfortunately, PC performance gets down and there are times which MPC suffers from video stuttering.
- Wireless Adapter. – Intel AGN 4965 and BSoDs. Yup. I purchased an upgrade license for Windows 8 and I can’t use it because of the Blue Screens that pop up with the wireless card. Intel doesn’t support this card on Win 8, and replacing it, is a little bit of a hassle
Now, about deciding between a desktop and a laptop….
I thought about getting a desktop thanks to the cheaper parts (compared to laptops), also it has the advantage that replacing the parts are easier (most of the time).
The main disadvantage is that I move a lot. I’m not usually at home. At first I thought about getting a ~1000$ machine and then replace the lappy when I really needed (I’m not obliged to do it immediately), but I’ve been thinking if that’ll be the right choice.
I didn’t know about these laptop brands until recently… Just knew about the most heard ones (Dell, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo)
Here’s a list of the laptops I’ve been looking for:
Battalion Ultra-Thin M1771.
I’d like something that lasts and that it isn’t that bulky; I carry lots of things on my backpack. The less the weight the better… Something like the Dell I currently have. I love big screens, the problem is portability L (something not bigger than 17.3” will do the trick)
Although Dell has given me an amazing support, the XPS line has become very very very very expensive for the specs. I’d rather buy an Inspiron first than the new XPS.
Regarding battery… 2 hours shall do the trick. Most of the time I’m on a place that has a power outlet.
What Should I get: a laptop or a desktop? Should I really upgrade now, or do I wait for when I really NEED the pc?
Max Budget: 1600$.
If I were to buy a computer now… should I wait for Black Friday?
Thanks a million and sorry for the long post !