Should I Buy a desktop or a laptop? Should I really upgrade now?

Hi people. Since two years ago I've been saving up some money to buy a new PC. I'm currently under a Dell XPS M1530.

Current Specs:

- Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4 GHz. (2 cores)

- Screen: 1680 x 1050

- Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT @ DDR3 - 256 MB

- 6GB DDR2 - RAM.

- Screen: 15.4"

- HDD: 320 GB @ 7.2 KRPM

I bought this guy for 1,800$ back at 2008. Yesterday it was its 5th ?boughtday?. 

Where are you from. Back in November 2008 I bought a

i7 920

Radeon HD 4870 1GB

CoolMax 950W

6 GB Ram

640 GB hard drive

Coolmaster Cosmos 1000 Case

got it built for $1,569

to be fair I didn't buy a screen .. still using it as my primary desktop today :)

As to the question of desktop or laptop it depends if you like having a large screen with a keyboard and mouse. Personally I do. The one laptop I do use (I call my couch computer) is a HP probook i3 8GB of ram with an SSD sitting on a table next to my couch on 24/7 with the lid closed, connected to 2 monitors a mouse and a keyboard hooked up to it. If I want to be really productive I go down stairs to my 4 monitor i7 machine.

So do you want to be portable?

If you want to video editing, nothing beats having a desktop with more than 1 monitor. 1 monitor for the editing, another monitor for the preview and playback display for the video you are editing. I would never want to edit video on a laptop.

As far as playing games, nothing beats the upgradeable of a desktop.

Everything you've described so far tells me you would be much happier with a desktop, now and down the road.

That being said, if you do decide to go with a laptop, look up the service manual for the laptop you are looking to purchase and see how easy / hard the hard drive is to replace. Some PC makers make it MUCH harder than it should be... as demonstrated in the video I made below.

Hello,

Hello,

Have you considered putting any of the money towards an air conditioner for the room in which the computer is most frequently used?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

This post make me laugh :) Where he lives, I think a A/C installation would cost him a lot more than 1600....

Back on topic, I do want to point out that the HDD is 5400 RPM (consumes less but for games and cad???) and I would buy it directly from Lenovo....

Hello,

This post make me laugh :) Where he lives, I think a A/C installation would cost him a lot more than 1600....

Back on topic, I do want to point out that the HDD is 5400 RPM (consumes less but for games and cad???) and I would buy it directly from Lenovo....

Best of both worlds would be if it had an mSATA or m.2 port. Unfortunately, Lenovo has apparently started to remove that :/ 

Anwyays, I'm purchasing directly from Lenovo through Amazon... 

Hello,

Actually, I think some of the '40 series of Thinkpads (T440, T540, W540, X240, etc.) are going to have m.2 connectors.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky