Photo

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:40

Honestly, I don't know. All the laptops you list have good specs, and I think you'd be happy with any choice you make: all the systems you list would give you a big boost over what your current system is - so I think no matter what, you'd have a smile on your face. 

What I'd do is construct a very in-depth list/spreadsheet of criteria that an ideal purchase would meet.

First, select the form factor (laptop, desktop, etc). Select the minimum specs you want. Also include things like warranty and other necessary parts of the purchase.

Then I'd decide on what the price range I'm willing to pay is.

Then I'd construct potential builds on the manufacturer website, and see how the system compares to the criteria.

Now, I'd figure out what compromises I'm willing to make, and adjust the computer specs/price to adjust. If no computer really provides what you're looking for after a few tweaks- then either I'd wait, cast my net wider (to other form factors), or try to sweet-talk a customer service rep :D. If a computer ticks most boxes, and you're happy with the compromises, then buy it. Don't dither about too much or you'll forever be waiting.

So to conclude - make an in-depth list of your criteria and select what best meets those criteria. 

I think you'll find a laptop that meets your criteria now. But if you really are unhappy with your purchase, I should think consumer protection laws in your country give you some protection, and allow you to return the system, though I'm not too sure how it works in your country. 

Fine then :) 

Ok. First of all. There are times which I travel a lot and times which I don't. For example, this last 4 months I've been staying out of my house 10+ hours every day: Between university and going to my grandma's house (I do that most weekends). I also know that I'll be traveling quite a bit in the following 9 months. Dunno after that :/

Criteria:

1) Screen resolution: Nothing less than 1080p (in case of a laptop). I have a Samsung SyncMaster 2494 and I'm pretty happy with it (in case of the desktop). 

2) Processor: i7. Need something that can handle quick 1080p video encoding. (Quad Core or more)

3) Memory RAM: 8GB+ (CAD softwares recommend this)

4) Video Card. Could be a GTX 750 or greater. Preferably a GTX 760 so it can go good with hardware acceleration using CAD, and After Effects. 

5) Hard Drive: SSD will be too expensive. I don't need lots of space, I have external drives which I usually throw the data there. But carrying less than 320 GB (I would struggle a lot with 256 GB) with me is a must no. 

6) Warranty: To be honest I'd pay for good warranty, as I did for my current Laptop. The thing is, that I won't receive good support from other manufacturer than Dell. By living outside the US, it takes me 50$ to ship a single pound to it :(. So I would have to wait for someone to travel back to the US in case something came off. 

Desktop only:

7) New Keyboard + Mouse combo. 

Price Range. Not over 1600$. 

Thanks for the tip! :D

#17 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:41

BTW, I have mirrored this post @ http://sevenfourms.com

http://www.sevenforu...rade-now-3.html

#18 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:44

I'll go full desktop mode, In fact I did since my current research requires power, in UK gets hot as hell on summer days, but proper cooling will help you on the long run, never seen my GPU to reach 75° overclocked (max is above 80s) also, components in a desktop are less likely to suffer from heat than those on a laptop.

You can use the laptop you currently have as a backup for transport, which is always neat, but seriously speaking, after some simulations I noted that indeed... desktop is definitely on another league than my laptop.

#19 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 October 2013 - 00:04

I've decided going on the mobile spectrum. I need to recognize that I, unfortunately move a lot, and with lots of stuff to many places. I believe something slim ala G60, M1771-2, could do the job.

What do you people think?

#20 Obry

Obry

Intaxity.com

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 October 2013 - 00:41

I've decided going on the mobile spectrum. I need to recognize that I, unfortunately move a lot, and with lots of stuff to many places. I believe something slim ala G60, M1771-2, could do the job.

What do you people think?

I think you should also consider reliability of the machine you're getting. I don't know about you but HP has never screamed quality when it comes to anything, not even printers. This M1771 is a gaming laptop - thing is probably overclocked to death - how hot does it get you think? Do you really want to cook eggs on your laptop as you're rendering something?

Honestly to me it sounds like from technical requirements point of view you will probably be better off with a desktop system but if it must be portable consider buying from someone like Dell or Lenovo. I would certainly stay away from Acer, Asus, HP, etc if I were you but different strokes for different folks as they say.

To me the Lenovo Y series look like they cover your requirements, including graphics cards and it is within your price range. Dell also makes decent machines. I used to own an XPS15 myself (but it is now sitting dead in my closet) and my last PC was an XPS17 but that was over $2K (Core I7, 256GB SSD + 768 GB SATA but graphics were only GeForce 550GT 1GB). I'm actually about to put it up on eBay soon as I recently got a Lenovo X1 Ultrabook (but my requirements don't include powerful graphics). I never owned a Lenovo before but I'm extremely satisfied with it but Dell has served me well for years and years too. Anything I've owned from HP I've always hated and ended up selling within months).

#21 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:55

To me the Lenovo Y series look like they cover your requirements, including graphics cards and it is within your price range. 

Indeed :) 

I could bump a 750m SLI, which would be more powerful than the 765m 

#22 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:49

Hello,

Have you considered putting any of the money towards an air conditioner for the room in which the computer is most frequently used?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#23 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:42

Indeed :)

I could bump a 750m SLI, which would be more powerful than the 765m 

i would go with a  laptop like a alienware or something where you have top end  Core i7 quad core option and have   the abilty and i recommend this    to get both SSD+HDD have the best of both worlds   also  make sure to get windows 8.1  as the  OS as that is what Dell recommends but dont always show it as  window 8.1 is highly optimized more so then windows 7 is for  everything you wish to do and SSD drives as well as the core i7 chips .   

Make sure  tho when ya get one or so you get  SSD+HDD option and get 16gb of ram  as that is the norm now days  for  multi-tasking and what you do  .  a friend of mien got an AW 17  model with 8gb of ram  765GTX card  SSD drive + HDD   and  it came with windows 7 cause  Dell did not tell him over the phone of the windows 8 option so he assumes they had no support for it. well he now has windows 8.1 on the system and the system is  just so much better and more responsive  in his gaming  

#24 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2013 - 16:34

Decision taken! I'll be going with the Lenovo Y510p! :D

http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

#25 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 12 November 2013 - 16:40

If you want to  spend more and get portability, get a laptop, laptops offer almost equivalent performance of desktops. If you want upgradability and something more powerful but less portable, get a desktop.

#26 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 16:50

Hi people. Since two years ago I've been saving up some money to buy a new PC. I'm currently under a Dell XPS M1530.

Current Specs:

- Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4 GHz. (2 cores)

- Screen: 1680 x 1050

- Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT @ DDR3 - 256 MB

- 6GB DDR2 - RAM.

- Screen: 15.4"

- HDD: 320 GB @ 7.2 KRPM

I bought this guy for 1,800$ back at 2008. Yesterday it was its 5th “boughtday”. 

Where are you from. Back in November 2008 I bought a

i7 920

Radeon HD 4870 1GB

CoolMax 950W

6 GB Ram

640 GB hard drive

Coolmaster Cosmos 1000 Case

got it built for $1,569

to be fair I didn't buy a screen .. still using it as my primary desktop today :)

As to the question of desktop or laptop it depends if you like having a large screen with a keyboard and mouse. Personally I do. The one laptop I do use (I call my couch computer) is a HP probook i3 8GB of ram with an SSD sitting on a table next to my couch on 24/7 with the lid closed, connected to 2 monitors a mouse and a keyboard hooked up to it. If I want to be really productive I go down stairs to my 4 monitor i7 machine.

So do you want to be portable?

If you want to video editing, nothing beats having a desktop with more than 1 monitor. 1 monitor for the editing, another monitor for the preview and playback display for the video you are editing. I would never want to edit video on a laptop.

As far as playing games, nothing beats the upgradeable of a desktop.

Everything you've described so far tells me you would be much happier with a desktop, now and down the road.

That being said, if you do decide to go with a laptop, look up the service manual for the laptop you are looking to purchase and see how easy / hard the hard drive is to replace. Some PC makers make it MUCH harder than it should be... as demonstrated in the video I made below.

#27 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 12 November 2013 - 16:53

Hello,

Hello,

Have you considered putting any of the money towards an air conditioner for the room in which the computer is most frequently used?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

This post make me laugh :) Where he lives, I think a A/C installation would cost him a lot more than 1600....

Back on topic, I do want to point out that the HDD is 5400 RPM (consumes less but for games and cad???) and I would buy it directly from Lenovo....

#28 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:19

Hello,
This post make me laugh :) Where he lives, I think a A/C installation would cost him a lot more than 1600....

Back on topic, I do want to point out that the HDD is 5400 RPM (consumes less but for games and cad???) and I would buy it directly from Lenovo....

Best of both worlds would be if it had an mSATA or m.2 port. Unfortunately, Lenovo has apparently started to remove that :/ 

Anwyays, I'm purchasing directly from Lenovo through Amazon... 

#29 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:21

Hello,

Actually, I think some of the '40 series of Thinkpads (T440, T540, W540, X240, etc.) are going to have m.2 connectors.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#30 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:32

Well, everyone thanks a lot! I've purchased the Lenovo Y510p and I hope it will do well for at least the next 2 1/2 years :D

Expect a review of the machine soon 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!