win8

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 OP Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:18

OK I'm now seeing "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." despte having no power issues.

#17 AStaley

AStaley

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64, OSX Mavericks, Elementary OS, Server 2008 R2/2012 R2, CentOS.
  • Phone: iPhone 6 (IOS8)

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:38

OK I'm now seeing "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." despte having no power issues.

That would suggest something still isn't shutting down cleanly, most likely something timing out.  If the Reliability Monitor still isn't showing other errors I would still look at the ATI drivers and do as I suggested in my previous post and do a clean install of the ATI drivers.  The ATI un-installer isn't very good and is well known for leaving remnants behind that could well be causing your issues.  Also check Windows Update for .Net updates as this is used by features within the ATI software.  Another source of information would be the event viewer (Start+X>Event Viewer) and look under the Application and System logs for errors around the time you shut the machine down.

#18 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:54

Start-up looks pretty clean and looks like you've already disabled stuff you don't need so all good there.  Take a look under the Action Centre (Left click the flag icon in the taskbar and click "Action Centre") and expand Maintenance and view the reliability monitor is there any drivers/programmes that might not be shutting down properly that would stop hybrid boot from loading correctly at start-up? Also it's worth looking in the event viewer to see if anything is being flagged there.

I recall a while ago a similar issue I had with Cisco Anyconnect stopping my PC from shutting down correctly and then doing a full boot when I next turned it on, an update was released to fix that particular issue.

Start up looks clean?!

It's a mess, IMO

NONE of those items would be automatically starting on my machines, and I've NEVER had an issue disabling them all!

Never had a computer with that delayed launcher thing though, so not positive about that, but if it's from Intel, I bet you can disable that junk also!

#19 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:12

I delete those startup entries using ccleaner rather than just keeping them in Disabled state.
Between can you open your Service Manager and post screenshot of what services are getting started "Auto"

#20 AStaley

AStaley

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64, OSX Mavericks, Elementary OS, Server 2008 R2/2012 R2, CentOS.
  • Phone: iPhone 6 (IOS8)

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:18

Start up looks clean?!

It's a mess, IMO

NONE of those items would be automatically starting on my machines, and I've NEVER had an issue disabling them all!

Never had a computer with that delayed launcher thing though, so not positive about that, but if it's from Intel, I bet you can disable that junk also!

A mess?  Compared to most I've seen his start-up is relatively light, sure you could go through the registry and remove the start up entries but to what end it does the same job and is easier for non-IT people.  You are right that a lot of the Intel stuff can be removed, but with a relatively modern PC there is no need unless it's causing a particular issue.  Either way it's unlikely anything in his start-up is causing his issues with boot as they would have been there prior to this issue.

#21 OP Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 20:53

I delete those startup entries using ccleaner rather than just keeping them in Disabled state.
Between can you open your Service Manager and post screenshot of what services are getting started "Auto"

I would but there are more than will fit on a  screendump. :(

#22 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 October 2013 - 20:57

^ So take two screenshots?

#23 OP Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 21:55

I also uninstalled the Intel crap, hasn't made a huge difference so far.

services1.png

services2.png

Start-up now looks like this:

task.png

#24 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:38

Change Intel Dynamic Application Loading Service, Google App Updater, Skype Updater to Manual.

Not too many services are there, wondering what's causing so lag. My 3 yrs old low-end laptop fast boot in 3-4 sec.

#25 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:39

Between remove SuperAnti Spyware and any other Anti virus/malware tools that are existing in system.

99% of time, Windows Defender is more than enough unless you push yourself into wrong sites.

#26 OP Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2013 - 19:29

Immediately after uninstalling the Intel stuff, one of them came back as a Windows update. (Intel Managment Engine)