Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NAS Hunting

Question

Posted

I need a new NAS, because I have 2 x 320GB WD Blue drives that are sitting around, doing nothing. Would love to make them another backup option, but I am out of SATA ports on my PC. With my 1.5 TB, 500GB, 90GB SSD, 120GB SSD, ODD, and External-SATA (use every now an then), I'm full.

I would love to make the 2 x 320GB into RAID 1, to mirror them.

I already have a D-Link DNS-320 that I have my 2 x 640GB WD Blue drives in. But I understand those are quite old. I heard Synology was good, any input? Price is not an issue, but I don't want something obnoxious.

19 answers to this question

Posted

I need a new NAS, because I have 2 x 320GB WD Blue drives that are sitting around, doing nothing. Would love to make them another backup option, but I am out of SATA ports on my PC. With my 1.5 TB, 500GB, 90GB SSD, 120GB SSD, ODD, and External-SATA (use every now an then), I'm full.

I would love to make the 2 x 320GB into RAID 1, to mirror them.

I already have a D-Link DNS-320 that I have my 2 x 640GB WD Blue drives in. But I understand those are quite old. I heard Synology was good, any input? Price is not an issue, but I don't want something obnoxious.

Sorry if this a stupid but obvious question but are you looking for a server to act as a DNS server or are you looking for a new NAS?

Posted

I just plan to use as home storage, nothing else.

Posted

Sorry if this a stupid but obvious question but are you looking for a server to act as a DNS server or are you looking for a new NAS?

I think he meant "NAS hunting" and not "DNS Hunting"

Posted

Yeah I came here with the promise of DNS related banter but no such luck lol...

Posted

Yeah, after I read that, I'm :argh:

But if you read my whole post, you kinda will get what a D-Link DNS-320 is..

Posted

What are you looking to accomplish with the NAS? The D-link does seem a bit dated, but if it works, might as well use it. For example, I have a Synology DS213 (2 bay), and I use it for streaming to my 360, backups, document storage, and it's plenty fast. 

Posted

I just prefer to use it as a home storage device. Alough, the DNS-320 has only 2 slots, which are filled.

Or should I maybe go with a HP Proliant G7, like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107921

And just ditch the DNS-320?

Posted

Personally I would buy a HP Proliant Microserver (such as the N54L you linked) and install FreeNAS on it. That will give you maximum flexibility in terms of hardware and software. Plus you get all the benefits of ZFS coupled with a nice, web-based management interface.

Posted

*shudders* I used FreeNAS in the early days, I think that was around ~2007, version 6, I believe. I had so many problems with it. For example, i tried to RAID 2 HDDs, it would accept it, but not tell me anything of the RAID, just blank.

But, I am willing to try it again. I can always do what I do now with my mini-itx Atom mc server. I put crunchbang on there, and loaded SSH into it. I made it headless, so I can remotely connect to it.

Posted

320GB so these are 2.5" disks?

Posted

Personally I would buy a HP Proliant Microserver (such as the N54L you linked) and install FreeNAS on it. That will give you maximum flexibility in terms of hardware and software. Plus you get all the benefits of ZFS coupled with a nice, web-based management interface.

I like FreeNAS as much as the next man (have it on my Microserver) but the web-based interface is anything but nice.

Posted

Am I the only person who doesn't like FreeNAS. I like the idea but not the implementation. I went with Storage Server 2012.

Posted

I like FreeNAS as much as the next man (have it on my Microserver) but the web-based interface is anything but nice.

Really? Although I am generally a command-line guy, I quite like it. It gives the user great flexibility to configure virtually everything of note. They could probably stand to make the interface look prettier, but that is a minor quibble. I find it quite functional.

Posted

320GB so these are 2.5" disks?

These are 3.5" drives. I got them awhile ago.

Posted

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to just buy new disk say 1TB and plug it in via usb as "backup"

Posted

*shudders* I used FreeNAS in the early days, I think that was around ~2007, version 6, I believe. I had so many problems with it. For example, i tried to RAID 2 HDDs, it would accept it, but not tell me anything of the RAID, just blank.

But, I am willing to try it again. I can always do what I do now with my mini-itx Atom mc server. I put crunchbang on there, and loaded SSH into it. I made it headless, so I can remotely connect to it.

If you are comfortable with the Linux terminal and would prefer to build your own solution, you could run a headless Debian server with SAMBA or NFS backed by BTRFS. Although BTRFS is still under heavy development and is not as mature as Illumos ZFS or ZFS on Linux, I have been running it in production with Debian 7 (Linux 3.2) and had no problems. It has the distinct advantages over ZFS of integration into mainline Linux, speed, and a simple command-line interface.

Posted

Really? Although I am generally a command-line guy, I quite like it. It gives the user great flexibility to configure virtually everything of note. They could probably stand to make the interface look prettier, but that is a minor quibble. I find it quite functional.

I find it slow and ugly as well as being hard to find my way around.  Not the way I would have designed the UI.

Posted

I find it slow and ugly as well as being hard to find my way around.  Not the way I would have designed the UI.

In that case I agree with you. I was referring to it as "nice" because it is very functional and rarely breaks. (Now days, anyway - the web UI in early versions of FreeNAS was barely functional under ideal conditions).

Posted

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to just buy new disk say 1TB and plug it in via usb as "backup"

Doesn't that require external power to do? I have 2 x Thermaltake BlacX, one a single, second a double. While I could do just that, I could kill two birds with one stone. For that ProLient, I can put my 2x 640GB as well as my 2x 320GB. All in one happy bedroom.