Photo

NAS Hunting

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:16

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to just buy new disk say 1TB and plug it in via usb as "backup"

#17 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:19

*shudders* I used FreeNAS in the early days, I think that was around ~2007, version 6, I believe. I had so many problems with it. For example, i tried to RAID 2 HDDs, it would accept it, but not tell me anything of the RAID, just blank.

But, I am willing to try it again. I can always do what I do now with my mini-itx Atom mc server. I put crunchbang on there, and loaded SSH into it. I made it headless, so I can remotely connect to it.

If you are comfortable with the Linux terminal and would prefer to build your own solution, you could run a headless Debian server with SAMBA or NFS backed by BTRFS. Although BTRFS is still under heavy development and is not as mature as Illumos ZFS or ZFS on Linux, I have been running it in production with Debian 7 (Linux 3.2) and had no problems. It has the distinct advantages over ZFS of integration into mainline Linux, speed, and a simple command-line interface.

#18 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:26

Really? Although I am generally a command-line guy, I quite like it. It gives the user great flexibility to configure virtually everything of note. They could probably stand to make the interface look prettier, but that is a minor quibble. I find it quite functional.

I find it slow and ugly as well as being hard to find my way around.  Not the way I would have designed the UI.

#19 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:30

I find it slow and ugly as well as being hard to find my way around.  Not the way I would have designed the UI.

In that case I agree with you. I was referring to it as "nice" because it is very functional and rarely breaks. (Now days, anyway - the web UI in early versions of FreeNAS was barely functional under ideal conditions).

#20 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 30 September 2013 - 22:21

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to just buy new disk say 1TB and plug it in via usb as "backup"

Doesn't that require external power to do? I have 2 x Thermaltake BlacX, one a single, second a double. While I could do just that, I could kill two birds with one stone. For that ProLient, I can put my 2x 640GB as well as my 2x 320GB. All in one happy bedroom.