Photo

New Build - Need some insight

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Got3n™

Got3n™

86-75309

Posted 30 September 2013 - 19:13

Ok so first off, im not a noob when it comes to computers ,been building them for many years, however the last PC i built was based on the i2700k processor and GTX580's, now in pc terms thats a little old. I know i can just upgrade my graphics and it should be ok for a while longer but Id like to just re use my old machine for work. 

Now i havent been keeping up with intels new stuff so forgive me if this does sound noobish. From what I understand their new processors still only support 32 lanes in PCIe, so if i want to run SLI graphics, one card is 16x and the other is 8x, I would like to have 16/16 if possible, would i HAVE to go to the LGA2011 or can i still do that with LGA1150? I currently have a LGA1155 so i could in theory upgrade just the mobo if there is one capable of pushing 16x/16x in SLI.

I will most likely be doing SLI with the gtx780's, or amd's new 290's, still deciding, BF4 beta will determine how that goes. I do want to be able to push 2560x1440 or even 2560x1600 so i think SLI is the way to go. Which proc would be the better choice, i see the benchmarks of ivy bridge and haswell and they dont seem that far off from each other, i just hate that they release new stuff and it really isnt better. I was just thinking of biting the bullet and doing Ivy-E cause it seems its all i can find that will do 16x/16x in SLI.

So what im asking i guess is anyone have any recommendations on Proc/Mobo combos for 16x/16x SLI? Also assume I have a $3k limit, and I own my car, have no bills other than monthly ones, am single, and its my money so dont judge what i spend it on lol. Some threads on builds people get upset someone wants to spend money O.o

#2 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 30 September 2013 - 19:34

Yep, LGA1150 still has the same number of lanes. Except they're now PCI-E 3.0, so it actually is better and matters much less, what with PCI-E 3.0 having nearly (but not quite) double bandwidth. I remember seing test where an overclocked GTX690 was indeed able to fully saturate PCI-E 2.0 x8, but the drop was not very drastic (<20%).

Of course, LGA2011 is a greater thing, now that PCI-E 3.0 is there, too. However, I consider it a dead-end platform. There aren't many, if any new boards... well, Gigabyte's done a revision for Sniper, I see, but that's it. It's got crazy bandwidth and six cores (more only if you go stupidly expensive Xeon and lose out on OC), but the rest is very lackluster.

#3 OP Got3n™

Got3n™

86-75309

Posted 30 September 2013 - 20:01

See thats what i was thinking about LGA2011 as well, didnt look like alot of new products in that area. So am i reading this right, lets say a gtx780 wouldnt be able to saturate a pcie3 8x bandwidth?

#4 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 30 September 2013 - 20:18

I don't have any real data to back it up. Well, there's these two charts I've found to consider. 780 is not a great deal more powerful than 680/770, right? R290 Titankiller might be, though.

eSrr5vF.gifQlwl2ws.gif

I figure you'll be able to sell 1150 build more easily when Haswell-E, with DDR4 among other things, comes. 1150's value will not depreciate very much as Intel is set to refresh Haswell line-up but so that it will work on all current boards.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!