106 posts in this topic

Posted

First direct gameplay video from Xbox One's Forza Motorsport 5 shown off
by John Callaham

Microsoft's Xbox One racing sim game Forza Motorsport 5 might be the highlight of the console's many planned launch titles, thanks in part to its impressive graphics. A few days ago, the company released the first direct gameplay video clip from the game, showing off what players will actually get to see while playing the title.

As posted on the Xbox YouTube channel, the nearly two minute clip shows the game's virtual version of the 2012 Pagani Huayra driving on the Bernese Alps track. This track was previously put in Forza Motorsport 4 for the Xbox 360 but Microsoft and developer Turn 10 Studios claim to have "completely rebuilt" the course for the Xbox One. The video is quite impressive, showing the car driving through the snowy mountain track at 60 fps and at 1080p resolution.

Microsoft has also released a second Forza Motorsport 5 video on YouTube. This clip shows Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb chatting with Turn 10's Dan Greenawalt as they discuss how Forza Motorsport 5 uses the new features in the Xbox One controller. In particular, Greenawalt talks about how the game uses the Impulse Triggers in the controller to give players a subtle but noticeable haptic feedback as they drive these virtual super-cars around Forza Motorsport 5's tracks.

Source: Xbox on YouTube

Posted

One thing I always liked in the Forza series was how wide the road looks and feels compared to GT series. It gives you a sense of freedom like you can drive faster and more crazy.

Posted

The graphics are so last year. But considerable improvement over Xbox 360. 

I found it disappointing considering it's on next gen consoles. 

4 people like this

Posted

One thing I always liked in the Forza series was how wide the road looks and feels compared to GT series. It gives you a sense of freedom like you can drive faster and more crazy.

The city tracks are scary narrow though.

Posted

Really? Compared to what? What last year racing sim had graphics close to this, or better than this?

Posted

I kind of have to agree with the above. That track looks much better than it did on the 360 but i'm not quite 'wowed'. The noticeably heavy compression on the video doesn't really help the game make a good case for itself either.

1 person likes this

Posted

Beautiful. :)

Posted

Certainly looks good, but most racing games on the current consoles (like Forza Horizon) look pretty good when in-motion, but fall down soon as you stop moving a look at something up close. I want to see they video where they stop and look at a tree, a rock, a building, or a crowd of bystanders.

Posted

Man, I don't know ay, I can't see myself very often stopping on the side of the road to look at a rock or a tree. This IS a racing game, afterall, just mash that loud button and enjoy!

1 person likes this

Posted

I havent played Forza 4 in a while but Im pretty sure the track never reflected off the bonnet like it does in the first 15 seconds of that video, also the detail in the weave of Carbon Fibre I don't think I have seen before as well as the light changes from in cockpit as the car moves around the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wEX_BEkvik < I love the engine spits on downshift in this video - if they did do this in the past, it sounds so much better now.

Posted

So is Forza 5, "Forza 4 J.J. Abrams Edition"?  :rofl: (sorry couldn't help it).

<serious mode> Looks pretty impressive, even with all the compression artefacts in that video the track seems to have a soft life like feel to it. I also noticed nice little details like flock of birds, rolling mist etc (Y). That's one thing that always annoyed me in the GT games, the cars are (well most are in GT5, but that is a topic for another day :p) beautifully rendered and are let down by the terribly rendered tracks (sprite trees/people in this day and age? seriously?). The tracks are just as important as the cars and it seems Forza 5 might of finally nailed it! :happy:

Posted

I played Forza 5 at the weekend and all i can say is it is awesome compared to any other racing game i have played on a console to date.

Posted

I played Forza 5 at the weekend and all i can say is it is awesome compared to any other racing game i have played on a console to date.

Where did you get to play it? Jealous. How do the rumble triggers feel?

Posted

Where did you get to play it? Jealous. How do the rumble triggers feel?

Eurogamer in London on Saturday, i only got 1 lap but it looked and played fantastic and i found the new impulse rumble triggers pretty powerful on my fingers, i loved it! :)

The graphics also look better in person rather than a feed online that maybe limited to 30 frames per second.

3 people like this

Posted

Forza FTW!! Looking forward to this one.

Posted

I wonder how the smoke is in this one. As a drifter, I was really disappointed in the smoke effects from Forza 3-4. 

Posted

The new rumble triggers should be used quite a lot in this, as a racing game, but also in other games to, even shooters.   I'm not a big racing game fan really but I'm not doubting it's looks in the end.  Should be a great game overall.

Posted

I wonder how the smoke is in this one. As a drifter, I was really disappointed in the smoke effects from Forza 3-4.

Smoke sucks in all racing and other games. It will only be better when they start using liquid smoke.

Only game gpthat has used it so far has been Hellgate London, and it was great, but it was pretty heavy on the resources. I can't imagine the requirements for liquid smoke in a racing game where it has to be spawned from wheel not just hover around, but also react to multiple cars moving at high speed :)

Posted

Don't forget Youtube halves the framerate. This looks twice as fluid in real life. They should post the raw footage on some ftp and let people view it with VLC, then you could see how it really looks like.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, this game is one of the main reasons I preordered the XBox One, so it goes without saying I am excited to play this game.

With that said, I too am not hugely impressed with the visuals just yet. It looks better than this current generation, but not by a whole lot. I think a lot of that comes down to the fact Forza always looked great.

I am guessing that in my home sitting on my couch, with my surround sound blasting and TV front and center, I will have a different opinion on it all. However right now, I just expected more I think. What, I am not exactly sure, but I can say I expected more.

Posted

Well, this game is one of the main reasons I preordered the XBox One, so it goes without saying I am excited to play this game.

With that said, I too am not hugely impressed with the visuals just yet. It looks better than this current generation, but not by a whole lot. I think a lot of that comes down to the fact Forza always looked great.

I am guessing that in my home sitting on my couch, with my surround sound blasting and TV front and center, I will have a different opinion on it all. However right now, I just expected more I think. What, I am not exactly sure, but I can say I expected more.

Forza 5 looks and plays awesome in real life and with the new impulse rumble triggers, atleast it did on a 24inish monitor standing 12inches away from it. :)

Posted

To be honest i can watch a trailer or just gameplay on my 40inch HD screen, then actually play the game on the xbox, it's very different. Being a huge fan of the series, not sure if i would get Xbox One just for this... sad to say,, PS4 for me!

Posted

Looks no better than a 360 game, if someone said thats the 360 version i wouldn't have looked twice. Disappointing to say how old the 360 tech is and this is best they can do?

Posted

Really? Compared to what? What last year racing sim had graphics close to this, or better than this?

DiRT Showdown does and it's over a year old, as does F1 2012. GRID 2 and F1 2013 also do, though they're a bit more recent. Those games are all very impressive when maxed out at 2560x1600. The point being that we're not seeing an improvement from what is already available on PC, though obviously it's an improvement from what's available on X360 and PS3.

Posted

I think you're being overly positive about the graphics of Dirt, Grid and F1 here. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0