Photo

iGoogle Alternatives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sundayx

sundayx

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:23

iGoogle is shutting down in exactly a month. It's my current homepage and is customized to show exactly what I need when I start my browser, so I'm quite disappointed it's going away. It checks my Gmail, calendar, couple of news sources I follow, stocks, weather, and I can wiki or look up the dictionary just one the page.

Do you guys have any suggestions or started using any alternatives?

I looked at Netvibes but looks too complicated. My Yahoo looks good, other than the fact that my email, stocks and calendar are all on Google...

#2 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 08 October 2013 - 16:31

I know you want this to be in a browser, but it sounds like this can be done by pinning things to your Windows 8 start screen.

#3 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 October 2013 - 16:39

Going to second Enron.  It's customizable to show what you want and you can do the searches (dictionary or Wikipedia) easily enough from the charms bar. 

#4 johnmatt

johnmatt

Neowinian

• Phone: 31620836505

Posted 17 October 2013 - 15:09

I am also agree with you that iGoogle is shutting down next month. I am also an iGoogle regular user. I really like so much iGoogle but now it is closed and now I just changed my account my iGoogle to http://www.startme.com/ a few days ago and it works pretty well I can put all the same features on the home page that I had on iGoogle.  The best benefits of Startme are it is simple and easy to understand. 

287334.jpg

#5 OP sundayx

sundayx

Posted 30 October 2013 - 16:27

Just a quick update. I had a go with Netvibes but it really didn't do what I need. It doesn't have much integration with services i.e. Google Calendar, Finance, or even just for Wikipedia search, so I just dropped the start page and use Chrome's apps instead. Though it doesn't work like it used to, I really don't have much of a choice. What a shame.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!