Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 35

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:36

Try hwmonitor and see if you get the same temp reading. That temp is way too high if you aren't doing much and the proc fan should be going crazy at that temp. The heat sink should just about melt your skin if you touch it. That is 260 degrees f i wouldn't be surprised if that is wrong being that thermal shutdown is usually in the 100s

#32 OP 44MLX

44MLX

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:39

Try hwmonitor and see if you get the same temp reading. That temp is way too high if you aren't doing much and the proc fan should be going crazy at that temp. The heat sink should just about melt your skin if you touch it. That is 260 degrees f i wouldn't be surprised if that is wrong being that thermal shutdown is usually in the 100s

My BIOS temp states different. I am trying to get a screenshot.

#33 OP 44MLX

44MLX

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:46

http://postimg.org/gallery/7ysnu6e0/

#34 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 35

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:50

The click bios has an installer for Windows and you will be able to run that to keep an eye on temp and fan speed there while it is up. If you see either temps up or fan up a lot you know there is an issue.

#35 OP 44MLX

44MLX

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:00

The click bios has an installer for Windows and you will be able to run that to keep an eye on temp and fan speed there while it is up. If you see either temps up or fan up a lot you know there is an issue.

Is my Current DRAM Frequency meant to be @ 1333 MHz

#36 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:10

I had a similar problem yesterday with a new build.. kept getting a BSOD and then windows wouldn't boot at all.

I went into BIOS changed the Command Rate (CR) from T1 to T2, it's been fine since..

The build is almost exactly the same as yours.

#37 OP 44MLX

44MLX

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:19

I had a similar problem yesterday with a new build.. kept getting a BSOD and then windows wouldn't boot at all.

I went into BIOS changed the Command Rate (CR) from T1 to T2, it's been fine since..

The build is almost exactly the same as yours.

Where can I find command rate in my BIOS?

#38 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:27

I dont have it to hand to check.. look for your memory configuration and find the part where you can edit the memory timings for each channel, it's usually set to auto.. change this to manual if need be then go in to edit the timings and it's on there somewhere it should say Command Rate T1, change it to T2

#39 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:29

http://ark.intel.com/products/75047/

1333 or 1600 max.

I don't know if it supports 1.65v, but 1.5v is the official DDR3 spec.  You might check with the mobo manual or the mobo manufacturer.

Is my Current DRAM Frequency meant to be @ 1333 MHz

#40 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:17

Gah. No, the memory does not look ok at all. Dammit, memtest reports errors in each and every run! But it's not necessarily bad, they're Dominators of insane 2400 MT/s after all. And I bet that's where the problem is.

Yes, it must support 1.65V voltage, it's the most common thing for high speed RAM since some three years ago. It's called Extreme Memory Profile for a reason. Afaik, Dominators even have two profiles, badspit insane 2400 and more compatible 2133. Is XMP applied? If it isn't, why it isn't? IMC or the board, on the other hand, might not support 2400MT/s speed, but 2133 is a good bet.

Also, in the original build thread I told not to take Dominator sticks, because it's a waste of money. That part was skipped over, I take it.

#41 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:22

It's not spec, and the early i7s will not take it well.  I really can't speak for the new ones, but it's kind of embarrassing given my cheapo AMD machine handles it just fine.

Yes, sadly it's common, but it's still not preferable.

Yes, it must support 1.65V voltage, it's the most common thing for high speed RAM since some three years ago.

#42 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:23

I'm going on a hunch and saying it's a memory problem - specifically as someone brought up a 1.65v issue. I have the same CPU, but an Asrock Extreme 6 motherboard, and it doesn't like when I set it to use XMP, which calls for 1.65v on the RAM. If I don't use XMP, it uses 1.5v, and it's rock solid. 

I'm actually in the process of looking for a new memory kit - 2x8GB, 1.5v. Anandtech recently posted an article comparing memory scaling on Haswell.

#43 TheBlueRaja

TheBlueRaja

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:29

Memory looks clean. Run speed fan and log the system temps. Do you hear the fans running at full speed prior to blue screen?

Looks clean? - Looks like his memory if screwed to me..

http://s18.postimg.o...0p/IMG_0120.jpg

He's ran 10 passes each one with lots of errors - see the bottom right of the screen. 

Unless im reading it wrong..

Also the BIOS should pick up the new memory settings automatically via the SPD shouldnt they?

#44 Squuiid

Squuiid

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:35

Yep, that memtest shows tons of errors. However, I'd like to point out that in my experience, even though memtest can show no errors in RAM even after 24hours of running, this doesn't exclude RAM from being the culprit. I've seen many systems with issues which were related to bad/mismatched RAM which memtest flagged as being OK. Swapped out the bad RAM and issues vanished.

Just my two cents...

#45 Squuiid

Squuiid

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:39

One more thing, if you can get RAM which runs at 1.35v instead of 1.5v or 1.65v, all the better! Runs cooler, uses less power, and generally has more headroom.

http://www.gskill.co...=0&prop_1=1.35v