Thanks to finally picking up an SSD, I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 8 on it.
One of the main reasons I plan on finally going to Windows 8, is the news Battlefield 4 recommends using it.
And honestly, it is just time to take the plunge.
I just have a few questions as to what my best approach would be to installing Windows 8 Pro (legit retail copy) on this new SSD.
Again, I plan on doing a clean install, but it is my current drives I am wondering what I should do.
Currently I have 2 good old fashioned 3.5 Seagate Barracuda HDD's
HDD 01 is 500 GB
HDD 02 is 1 TB.
- HDD 01 that is 500 GB is split into 2 partitions.
- Partition 1 has Windows 7.
- Partition 2 has Windows 8.
- I am dual booting, almost primarily into Windows 7.
- I have not touched 8 in months.
HDD 02 is strictly my media drive. No OS at all on it. So that is all fine. I know what to do with it.
My main question is what is my best approach with HDD 01?
First and foremost, do I have to deactivate the current install of Windows 8? Or when I install it fresh, will that just "override" the older install?
So my plan is pretty much the following.
- Obviously backup all important documents. Also create a folder on the current HDD02 and also on one of my external drives as my "clean install" folder, that has all the apps, drivers, etc. that I need on a clean install
- Unplug all current HDD's
- Hook up only the SSD
- Install Windows 8 on the SSD
- Once Windows 8 installation is complete, Hook up HDD 02 to my motherboard and have it as a drive partition in Windows 8
- Finally, I plan on formatting HDD 01 completely using my Thermaltake BlackX
I would completely wipe out both partitions that currently have the OS's on them, and just make it one normal partition.
- Hook up HDD 01, which is now completely formatted, to my motherboard, set it up as another partition
- Have the SSD as my boot drive, and HDD's 01 & 02 as drives for storage, etc.
So does this sound like a good plan of attack? Should I do any steps differently?
Pretty much my biggest thing is what do I need to do with my current install of Windows 8 (even though I have technically not booted into it for months).
Everything else I can pretty much wing and am thinking I do not have to follow my steps in the exact order. I just tend to like to be prepared for projects like this, so they go as smooth as possible.
TIA for any help. I will probably do this all in about 4 days over the weekend so I have some time. And apologies if this all comes off a tad noobish, just has been awhile since I have installed Windows at all. Basically when I installed 8 on the partition above, that was the first time I had done it in YEARS.