Email across computers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:13

I work for a joint that has pretty ###### IT support, and they simply are not willing to do the things asked by their staff to make our jobs easier.  Anyway.

We have an issued email address, with a whopping 10MB of space.  Needless to say, we need far more space, but anyway, they won't budge.

We have two computers in the office, and I'd like to know the best way to view mail across both of them.  IMAP won't work because of the crappy space available, so I'm wondering if there is another way.

I have my own server, so if we need to do something in that regard, then we can.

Basically.  lets say I have nashy@company.com.  Would the best be to forward all mail sent to that address to a new email I create, and then just use the correct outgoing servers?  I dunno.  Email seems so old and dated, but I really need this to work better.

Thanks in advance.

#2 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:17

Get a new mail host

Have them create a distribution group that will send mail to all in that group when sent to the group mail address. If they can't do it see above.

#3 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:24

Lol, yeah exactly as said above. 10MB? Yikes. I've had PDFs docs bigger than that for proposals for jobs I'm working on.

How are you connected now tho? Are you using outlook or some web interface? If a client email is it via POP then or what? A distribution group would work great there as was also said.

#4 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 02 October 2013 - 14:34

Sign everyone up to GMail! lol

#5 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 October 2013 - 23:46

Our email host is our company.  The owner of the domain.

I'm thinking about using my server to compliment it.  But I don't know how to get it still still show as sending from the main email.

#6 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 02 October 2013 - 23:51

You can use your domain at http://domains.live.com and you easily setup your domain there.. then you can setup email account for that domain for yourself or everyone.

It's simple.

All you do is manage the accounts there...  Microsoft manages the servers/downtime.

#7 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 October 2013 - 23:58

I don't have access to the domain.

This is a domain run by our head office, which is used for over 270 stores, of which I only own one store.

#8 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 00:02

Send the link that I gave you, to the owner/founder at HQ and see what they say... they might change their email services to the service that I mentioned above for easy setup/management.

Or you can ask them and see if you could manage your own domain such as yourstoretownname.com  like  BestBuyBrisbane.com instead of BestBuy.com

Something like that.

#9 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 03 October 2013 - 00:07

Then you should be able to set a distribution group. Unless you have a chappy mail server. Not sure exactly how you only get ten megs on a mail server that you self host.

#10 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 00:37

You can use your domain at http://domains.live.com and you easily setup your domain there.. then you can setup email account for that domain for yourself or everyone.

It's simple.

All you do is manage the accounts there...  Microsoft manages the servers/downtime.

It's not my domain.  It's a domain for our company, which has over 260 email address' attached to it for other stores.

#11 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 00:38

Then you should be able to set a distribution group. Unless you have a chappy mail server. Not sure exactly how you only get ten megs on a mail server that you self host.

Sorry.  I'm being confusing.

I have my own server that I can utilize if that's a valid solution.

So:

Head Office Server = ourstore@ourcompany.com
My Server = Nothing to do with work currently

#12 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 03 October 2013 - 00:41

10MB, something is clearly wrong with the company or whoever is in charge of their e-mail server/system. Like fundamentally wrong, to the point of where it is so ridiculous I'd be looking for a new job.

#13 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 00:42

I appreciate the response, but I'm not getting a new job.  My family own this business.

#14 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 00:46

It's not my domain.  It's a domain for our company, which has over 260 email address' attached to it for other stores.

I know it's not yours..  like I said, you can send the link I gave you to the store so the owner/founder will look into it.

Then they will add email name servers (from Microsoft from the link I gave you) to their domain registration name servers database... then within 24 or 48 hours, you will be able to manage email accounts from there. All you do is manage accounts at domains.live.com   

Lastly, ask them to increase space size or change it to unlimited.

#15 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 00:50

I know it's not yours..  like I said, you can send the link I gave you to the store so the owner/founder will look into it.

Then they will add email name servers (from Microsoft from the link I gave you) to their domain registration name servers database... then within 24 or 48 hours, you will be able to manage email accounts from there. All you do is manage accounts at domains.live.com   

Lastly, ask them to increase space size or change it to unlimited.

I spoke to him yesterday in regard to it, I've flicked him an email today to see if that's what he has suggested, but I can't see him putting the domain over there.  Just a feeling I get.

As for increasing it.  I asked for that first so I could use IMAP, was completely out of the question.