Email across computers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:15

You mail host whether it be parent company or it be a franchise or it be yourself needs to make a change to the way mail is handled.. You do not seem to be the right person to handle this type of conversation. It would be inadvisable to do anything mail related on your server if you do not have access to the mx record or the ip endpoint where mail for your company gets sent to. What I would do on my mail server is to create what is called a distribution group that has a mail address then I would put people into that group and when that group receives a message everyone would get copied. But I manage and control the mail server and can make it do anything I want it to, space for over 500 employees is over a gig a mailbox not 10 mb.

#17 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:48

You mail host whether it be parent company or it be a franchise or it be yourself needs to make a change to the way mail is handled.. You do not seem to be the right person to handle this type of conversation. It would be inadvisable to do anything mail related on your server if you do not have access to the mx record or the ip endpoint where mail for your company gets sent to. What I would do on my mail server is to create what is called a distribution group that has a mail address then I would put people into that group and when that group receives a message everyone would get copied. But I manage and control the mail server and can make it do anything I want it to, space for over 500 employees is over a gig a mailbox not 10 mb.

I am well versed in how I would ultimately like to achieve this.  I'm not just some dumb employee.  It is as simple as I've stated, I don't have access to the domain, and I will not be getting any changes made to the domain, or the account to achieve what I want.

If I had access to the domain, simple, I'd do it via Outlook.com like I do with all of my personal domains.

I've decided to go the easy route and registered a domain.  Our IT guy is happy to put an email forwarder on it.

Thanks for all the help guys.  

#18 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:22

This sounds like the age old story of say a department i.e Legal,HR,Engineering etc going out and doing their own thing with "computers" whatever it maybe, Buying a software package, Using a 'Cloud' Provider etc etc then ringing Internal IT when it stops working or they need support and to top it off blaming Internal IT. Its happened to all of us, Right??

#19 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:41

This sounds like the age old story of say a department i.e Legal,HR,Engineering etc going out and doing their own thing with "computers" whatever it maybe, Buying a software package, Using a 'Cloud' Provider etc etc then ringing Internal IT when it stops working or they need support and to top it off blaming Internal IT. Its happened to all of us, Right??

Given this is exactly what my IT dept. has told me to do, I guess you're incorrect.

I can't believe, given my posts, I'm still being told to talk to IT.  I've given all the information about what's going on here.

#20 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:03

You don't own it, therefore you don't own the issue. You are stuck within the walls of the business. You are a child of the company, children get told what to do and are given an allotment from the parent. Working around the parent can and will cause issues, I have put in mail servers to do exactly what you want to do and it was a complete and utter nightmare, messages not getting delivered and constant sync problems, it is highly unadvisable to do this. I would be doing a disservice to you and your parents company to have you half ass this, they need to get the right solution, which they obviously don't have.

#21 marshallz

marshallz

Neowinian

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:20

Depending on your company's budget, I would suggest setting up a Microsoft SBS 2011 Standard server, and utilize POP3 connectors to pull your POP3 provided email into your local email exchange, hosted by the Microsoft Exchange 2010 component of SBS 2011. There is at minimum, a 5-minute delay to receiving email as the SBS server periodically checks for email on the POP3 accounts

Email is received by 10MB POP3 email account hosted with headquarters

SBS 2011 POP3 connector downloads email from headquarters periodically

Downloaded email from POP3 connector gets mapped to Microsoft Exchange mailbox

We have this working successfully for a realestate franchise we support who are provided POP3 accounts by headquarters. The trade-off is having a delay with receiving email. If you have a lot of email accounts, I do not suggest checking the POP3 server every 5 minutes.