People Who Believe in God Less Likely to Believe in Extraterrestrials

Scientists are the creation of satan? Well ****. To think that I thought that all those fancy medicines that help cure diseases were wonderful things.

Turns out that by taking medicine we are all ultimately consuming creations of the devil.

:| 

Not sure if serious, or totally missing HawkMan's sarcasm...

Not sure if serious, or totally missing HawkMan's sarcasm...

Completely serious.

(Just kidding. And I can't be against them - my particular profession depends on drugs. An anesthetized patient is a happy patient :D )

Okay, there may be extraterrestrial life, but who in turn created it? :iiam:

Going to go out on a limb and say, a product of evolution. 

you hear " if ET was out there we would have met him by now.."  I guess we are ET to them and have we introduced ourselves yet?  Maybe both our tech is not up to the interstellar travel to make that happen.. yet!

#Keepinganopenmind

• Like 2

I'm a practicing Catholic, I'll believe in whichever entity proves their existence to me first! :rofl:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen - Heb 11:1. Being a Christian is nothing without faith... we cannot prove what we believe, or otherwise it wouldn't be called faith, would it?

Given the subject, I find this amusing:

http://www.universetoday.com/14262/vatican-astronomer-says-its-ok-to-believe-in-et/

The director of the Vatican observatory said it?s possible that intelligent life exists on other planets. And since aliens would be part of God?s creation, their existence would not contradict the Catholic faith.

I believe in God, and I also believe in other life outside our planet... that's just my opinion

I believe in God and I am open to the fact that life outside our planet may exist. I haven't got to the belief part yet.

You seem to have misguided and very negative views of worship and eternal life, but let's not get too off-topic here.

Even the most innocuous forms of worship seem either self-serving (the worship results in a personal gain or benefit for the worshipper) or submissive (fear of punishment for failure to participate). The concept of eternal life just seems like the result of the natural human fear of death. We know we are mortal and will one day die so we've concocted literally thousands of ideas about how when we physically die we don't actually we just get to go to some other place. Usually a paradise where we can indulge in anything we've been forbidden to do while we are alive on earth or a form of reincarnation. This time around you were a human, and depending on your behaviour in this life you'll either comeback as a tapeworm or get to be a human again.

The mind-boggling hugeness of the universe is a testament to the glory of God, who is infinitely more powerful than any of the creatures that inhabit Earth.

The mind-boggling amount of disease which has infected and killed millions is a testament to the cruelty and callousness of god. 

The mind-boggling amount of disease which has infected and killed millions is a testament to the cruelty and callousness of god. 

And all the natural disasters, don't forget those.

And all the natural disasters, don't forget those.

Yes. Nothing proves god's love for humans like a child being ripped from the arms of its mother during a tsunami. Or all those poor folk frozen in place in Pompei by volcanic ash.

Im proof of aliens. 

my mom told me they dropped me off at her house saying they couldn't deal with me...

I believe in god. I believe he/she likes to make my life hard....

then the dreams.........

• Like 2

no aliens would want to visit earth.. we are a bunch of douche bags. we're violent, judgmental,racist  

could be worse. what if god was an alien from advance alien race. and put all these different races on this planet to see how we would get along.

Don't be such a negative Nancy. You are right though, we are no better now intellectually than we were 3000 years ago.

You really can't blame our current state of natural behavior, and I am also sure you have also had one of those three traits in your past. We group into social structures based on our similarities. When one person from one group does something negative to someone from another group, we team up and go after the entire other group. Some diversity programs can make an environment feel really unnatural, and then there is isolation. For example, when I was in the service, everyone socialized with their own ethnic groups. Most of these feeling are open through comedy. If you laugh, deep down you feel that way. 

I also think you misunderstand the meaning a racism. Did you mean stereotyping? Not everyone feels their race is superior, however, we expect certain behaviors from groups. 

As far as God, you are better off letting people believe what they want. You cannot force people into thinking your belief system is right. I believe everything is alive, since everything on the planet comes from startdust. What's to say the universe as an eco-system doesn't have some sort of order, or awareness. Science is too new to understand everything. Give it a thousand years. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremophile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coacervate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geologic_time_scale

There is no evidence of god, a godly presence nor is anything as such abdundant and intimate. We have barely begun the robotic exploration of our nearest planets and haven't even left our solar system yet you conclusively believe there is no life elsewhere? how do you jump to such conclusions?

Extremophile - a testament to brilliant Creative design.

Coacervate - leaps of faith in biology and chemistry from self-organising lipids to a self-replicating cell with proteins and nucleic acids. By the way, sodium chloride also self-organises when it transitions from the molten to solid state; it's called crystallisation.

Geologic time scale - a time scale that no two radioactive dating methods agree on, let alone multiple.

Evidence of God - the fact that people innately and instinctly comprehend the concept of God (and intellectually rebel against). You can't rebel against nothing.

Throughout the centuries, most people have believed that only Earth contains life. With today's scientific knowledge, the immense complexity of even the simplest biological life precludes chemical origins, as the Miller-Urey experiment demonstrated. It's you, the exception, who believes that there must be life out there even in the total absence of scientific evidence. You're entitled to your belief, but in doing so portray yourself to be unscientific and non-empirical.

You're assuming life on other planets would be like anything here on Earth, for all we know life could exist in ways we can't even currently conceive. We ONLY currently know of life based on what we have on Earth, that's it. We know that the building blocks of life that work for our planet exists beyond our planet, from that we can start building models and predictions but that in no way means what I said earlier, life more then likely exists in ways we just can't even fathom. So no, it's not more likely for god in anyway. 

Let me outline the key words:

"for all we know" ; "can't even currently conceive" ; "can't even fathom".

You can fathom the concept of God, but don't believe him. You can't fathom alternative systems of replicating life, yet believe them?

You've just demonstrated the faith (i.e. religious) nature of un-belief (atheism).

Wrong.

God created everything perfect and good. No pain, no suffering, no disease and no death.

Disease and death is a testament to Adam's folly and rebellion against God, who pronounced a just curse on creation as punishment, known as the Fall. Disease and death is proof of human culpability in the grand scheme of things.

We're the linchpin between God, our master, and the universe, our dominion. Adam, as representative of mankind, chose to overturn the hierarchy of authority. We had it coming and we deserve every ounce of it.

Jesus' act of sacrifice to redeem our sorry selves is something we never deserved. But right now, all of us can claim it and escape the punishment of perdition. It boils down to the choice of each individual to return to ultimate reality, and time is not on our side.

Never say never.  I know plenty of people who are dumber than my watch.

Yet we never ever hear of people comparing the mental prowess of machines to that of their (people) respective watches. ;)

In a bygone era, we tried to identify aspects of mankind with the animal kingdom. In this era, we're identifying ourselves with machines. This belief in machine sentience, driven as it is by popular entertainment such as the Terminator series, will still fade away eventually.

And yet you've already fallen for the most elaborate human hoax of them all. :p

There's plenty of evidence in history and science that verifies the Bible post hoc. Logically, for you to categorically conclude it as a hoax, you necessarily have to outmatch that evidence with evidence that supports your conclusion. But if you insist on calling it a hoax without evidence, you definitely have the right to do so and I will protect that right.

ummm, but earth is only 6000 years old and was created perfect and dinosaurs are a fabrication by the scientists who are the creation of satan

obviously ;)

Earth is 6000 years old -- almost correct, as measured by the chrono-genealogies backwards from the Roman Empire.

Earth was created perfect -- correct, as explicitly stated in Genesis.

Dinosaurs are a fabrication -- incorrect, dinosaurs were brought onto Noah's Ark, most possibly in juvenile ages (small and compact). Most of them perished in the global Flood (not the infectious Halo kind, but the water kind), and those that survived it (by being on the Ark) were crowded out of their ecological niches by mammals and other reptiles (on land) or hunted down by human tribes. Historical accounts of the fearsomeness of dinosaurs exist in distorted form - dragons in medieval folklore is a good example.

Fabrications are perpetuated by scientists -- incorrect, I know many who perform solid science because of absence of bias and strongly empirical methods.

Scientists are created by Satan -- incorrect. Scientists are humans and hence descendants of Adam and Eve, who were both created by God. Satan has no creative power of his own because he is merely the most powerful entity created by God originally to serve God, but rebelled. The Silmarillion uses Melkor and describes his power and intellect as a rather fitting allegory of that of Satan's, if one chooses to imbibe exclusively "secular" texts.

Evidence of God - the fact that people innately and instinctly comprehend the concept of God (and intellectually rebel against). You can't rebel against nothing.

Throughout the centuries, most people have believed that only Earth contains life. With today's scientific knowledge, the immense complexity of even the simplest biological life precludes chemical origins, as the Miller-Urey experiment demonstrated. It's you, the exception, who believes that there must be life out there even in the total absence of scientific evidence. You're entitled to your belief, but in doing so portray yourself to be unscientific and non-empirical.

That is no more evidence of god then that is evidence of unicorns, leprechaun, Smurs, Harry Potter or Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo. If you truly believe in that garbage nonsense then by that same nonsense you have to accept that as evidence for what I listed above and every other supernatural fairy tale story as well.

Let me outline the key words:

"for all we know" ; "can't even currently conceive" ; "can't even fathom".

You can fathom the concept of God, but don't believe him. You can't fathom alternative systems of replicating life, yet believe them?

You've just demonstrated the faith (i.e. religious) nature of un-belief (atheism).

I can fathom the concept of godzilla too, that doesn't mean I believe in it. I also understand that given the size of the universe and the mind boggling amount of stars and planets within this vast universe that the odds of life existing are far more favorable to the possible existence of life then there not being. 

I don't have faith in a god existing, I have faith in the odds of life beyond our own world are correct. Faith is NOT limited to just a belief in a god. Huge difference. 

There's plenty of evidence in history and science that verifies the Bible post hoc. Logically, for you to categorically conclude it as a hoax, you necessarily have to outmatch that evidence with evidence that supports your conclusion. But if you insist on calling it a hoax without evidence, you definitely have the right to do so and I will protect that right.

Earth is 6000 years old -- almost correct, as measured by the chrono-genealogies backwards from the Roman Empire.

Earth was created perfect -- correct, as explicitly stated in Genesis.

Dinosaurs are a fabrication -- incorrect, dinosaurs were brought onto Noah's Ark, most possibly in juvenile ages (small and compact). Most of them perished in the global Flood (not the infectious Halo kind, but the water kind), and those that survived it (by being on the Ark) were crowded out of their ecological niches by mammals and other reptiles (on land) or hunted down by human tribes. Historical accounts of the fearsomeness of dinosaurs exist in distorted form - dragons in medieval folklore is a good example.

Fabrications are perpetuated by scientists -- incorrect, I know many who perform solid science because of absence of bias and strongly empirical methods.

Scientists are created by Satan -- incorrect. Scientists are humans and hence descendants of Adam and Eve, who were both created by God. Satan has no creative power of his own because he is merely the most powerful entity created by God originally to serve God, but rebelled. The Silmarillion uses Melkor and describes his power and intellect as a rather fitting allegory of that of Satan's, if one chooses to imbibe exclusively "secular" texts.

Holy mind numbing garbage batman, I really hope your post is just troll bait.