UFOs Hover Over Smoking Ship, Then Vanish

It is not flares. I've seen many flares, and they don't hang in the air at the same altitude for almost a minute and then rise in altitude out of view.

It's also not 4 helicopters. The movement is completely wrong, and the lights don't change when the helicopter would have rotated to change direction and altitude.

umm yes, flares can hover and then fly upwards, I've seen it several times. and it could very well be helicopters. they could move like this. 

I think those are emergency flares, and they floating because the fire's hot air going upward and this hot air make them float.

Certainly an interesting video! I initially thought "flares" until they just suddenly shot upwards and vanished. Now I'm not sure what to think! 

umm yes, flares can hover and then fly upwards, I've seen it several times. and it could very well be helicopters. they could move like this. 

Interesting, because that's counter intuitive in both cases.

Please explain how flares can remain at the same altitude for 60 seconds, and then rise in altitude and out of view. Also, can you show any examples of when this happens on video?

The lights immediately begin rising in altitude and moving at an almost 45 degree angle at the same time. This happens with three of them, and the light doesn't waver when they begin their motion. Helicopters typically can't go from hover to rising in altitude immediately in any direction but straight up. The acceleration is also very quick for a helicopter to achieve immediately from hover.

If it was a helicopter with a search light, why doesn't the light waver? Even if it was some very advanced helicopter, the light would waver or disappear as the helicopter rotated to achieve that very fast acceleration in a new direction rising in altitude. Are you suggesting that it's a helicopter with an omnidirectional search light? Because, that would be extremely odd as well.

I'm certainly not saying it's aliens, but it's not flares or helicopters either.

Notice how as the number of HD cameras become more and more common, the less and less UFO sightings there are. 

I know right. Also, have you noticed how more people are being reported missing the more HD cameras are becoming more and more common?

It can only mean one thing. Alien abductions are real and they're becoming more frequent to stop footage being leaked to the public.

Also, the NSA is using alien technology so they can check for actual alien footage and remove it from the internet in real time.

thing is why would the alien ships glow? its kind of like ooo look at me but we want to be covert looking at this ship lets put all the lights on.

It is the electromagnetic field around the craft, which interacts with the atmosphere.

A bit like St. Elmo's fire, but much more intense. ;) The light is an unintended side-effect.

It is the electromagnetic field around the craft, which interacts with the atmosphere.

A bit like St. Elmo's fire, but much more intense. ;) The light is an unintended side-effect.

Ah, we are calling it  craft now.

Wonderful.

Interesting, because that's counter intuitive in both cases.

Please explain how flares can remain at the same altitude for 60 seconds, and then rise in altitude and out of view. Also, can you show any examples of when this happens on video?

The lights immediately begin rising in altitude and moving at an almost 45 degree angle at the same time. This happens with three of them, and the light doesn't waver when they begin their motion. Helicopters typically can't go from hover to rising in altitude immediately in any direction but straight up. The acceleration is also very quick for a helicopter to achieve immediately from hover.

If it was a helicopter with a search light, why doesn't the light waver? Even if it was some very advanced helicopter, the light would waver or disappear as the helicopter rotated to achieve that very fast acceleration in a new direction rising in altitude. Are you suggesting that it's a helicopter with an omnidirectional search light? Because, that would be extremely odd as well.

I'm certainly not saying it's aliens, but it's not flares or helicopters either.

Heat from the fire or the flare can make them rise very fast very suddenly. especially in cold air like at sea. wind may also be a factor here. also the rise may be deceptive due to distance and angle. 

as for helicopters. umm no, helicopters can transfer form hover to straight or angular rise just fine, some types better than others. at the distance you wouldn't see any vibrations anyway. and they wouldn't be omni directional, they could be on the other side of the ship, lighting up the ship. 

either way I'd go with either flares or fake on this anyway.  They act like any number of flares you see on a cold new years here. last year there was a flare that actually rose up past the clouds in the cold.

are those tiny half inch aliens inside those tiny little "crafts" which have electro magnetic fields with magical properties no other EM field on earth display ?

Heat from the fire or the flare can make them rise very fast very suddenly. especially in cold air like at sea. wind may also be a factor here. also the rise may be deceptive due to distance and angle. 

as for helicopters. umm no, helicopters can transfer form hover to straight or angular rise just fine, some types better than others. at the distance you wouldn't see any vibrations anyway. and they wouldn't be omni directional, they could be on the other side of the ship, lighting up the ship. 

either way I'd go with either flares or fake on this anyway.  They act like any number of flares you see on a cold new years here. last year there was a flare that actually rose up past the clouds in the cold.

Helicopters and flares are almost as likely as aliens :)

The ship is a U.S. Navy refueling and supply ship.  They carry two helos for transfering supplies from ship to ship.  When doing night refueling in a noncombat mode they will send up star fire rounds to light up the night to make it easier to do operations.  They can also do the operations without the star fire rounds. Also depending on what class of vessels they are refueling that vessels could also have several helos assigned for combat oresupply perations.

the best part of UFO's is the fact that they don't inherently mean alien. its just Unidentified. So its probably just a helicopter or something looking at the boatt :p

The best part of UFO stories, is people like you making ridiculous theories

umm no they're not, and what are you supposed to prove with random videos of flares and helicopters ?

The first video shows the normal operation of an emergency flare (the parachute flare that is used most at sea).

The second video shows how helicopters operate, going from hover to motion.

The third shows what it looks like when a searchlight is on a helicopter in motion.

Can you provide any video of a helicopter going from hover into an immediate 45 degree climb that would be anywhere close to what is seen on the video of the lights?

Can you provide video of a flare that has held a steady altitude and position for 60 seconds then abruptly climbing into the clouds?

Aliens are an extreme scenario, as are flares and helicopters given the behavior of the lights.

Look at how steady the lights are for a long period, and when each rises up the others stay perfectly still. The rate at which the lights rise could not have been caused by wind, unless there were hurricane like gusts. Since all of the other "flares" stay still, that would take laser like gusts of wind to cause only one of the flares to literally shoot up hundreds of feet in altitude in just a couple seconds.

You also must remember that what you're looking at is probably 2-5 miles out at sea. Those lights are moving really fast, and cover a lot sky in very short amount of time.

The only plausible explanation of the behavior of the lights is the one given in the article... Although it explains the behavior well, it's still pretty unlikely, but definitely more possible than aliens, flares, or helicopters,

Dantonio refers to a new radar-evading military fighter jet -- the F-35 -- with the capability of hovering like a helicopter. The F-35 is currently undergoing successful tests.

"This could be one of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter wings doing training over the ocean where the afterburner is allowed," Dantonio suggested.

"As the first one peels off to the lower right, the aspect ratio of its circular exhaust and afterburner shape changes with respect to the camera and gradually fades away. Similarly, the others -- except for one -- follow suit. So, to me, this looks exactly like a tactical training mission which happened to be seen over a ship that looks like its engines were being cycled up."

Dantonio is also convinced the video doesn't show flares in the sky.

"Although the initial video event shows something that looks like flares, the subsequent behavior does not match the expected behavior," he said. "Parachute flares would not appear to hang in the sky like this unless they were quite far away, perhaps 30-plus miles away when seen."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/30/ufos-appear-and-disappear-above-smoking-ship_n_4018127.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news

Edited by thomastmc

You do know the light in the third video shows up exactly like in the OP and it on,y goes away when the helicopter flies away.

And showing one video of something not doing something isn't proof it doesn't do it. I've seen helicopters do crazy maneuvers like this, and I've see flares do it, that doesn't mean I filmed it, I have better thing to film on news years even than a flare rising into the clouds.

You're also making some logical fallacies, like assuming the "helicopters" are hovering. Since you only see the light and they're so far away you don't know that. They may be moving at high speed towards the camera.

But again, flares rising from heat and wind seems like a much more likely scenario. Certainly many times more likely than fantasy aliens visiting in fantasy craft that for some magical reason happen to be glowing and apparently super tiny. Especially considering the explanation if what ship it is in the post above.

Also the F35 certainly can't translate from hover to speed that fast. And it wouldn't be glowing.and if it was you would know, since firstly you would see the afterburner very clearly, and the F 35 is one of the noisiest jets to date. Had that been and F16 you would have heard it clearly, and F35 you would definitely have heard.

What a great video. I guess it could be as much as a fake as a real one. As a people, we are pretty arrogant thinking we know all about the universe. We have only been scratching the surface for a few hundred years. Give it a thousand years.

What a great video. I guess it could be as much as a fake as a real one. As a people, we are pretty arrogant thinking we know all about the universe. We have only been scratching the surface for a few hundred years. Give it a thousand years.

The only thing arrogant would be to jump to a other worldly conclusion bases on a crappy unclear video.

• Like 1

The only thing arrogant would be to jump to a other worldly conclusion bases on a crappy unclear video.

Hugh? Are you implying I meant that? They could have been flares for all I know, however, it was probably faked.

Hugh? Are you implying I meant that? They could have been flares for all I know, however, it was probably faked.

Stick around this forum section for a while, aliens is a popular conclusion for some.