The First Poster for "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit"

Paramount Pictures has released the first poster for director Kenneth Branagh's newly-titled Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, starring Chris Pine, Keira Knightley, Kevin Costner, Peter Andersson, Kenneth Branagh, David Paymer and Colm Feore.

Based on the Jack Ryan character created by bestselling author Tom Clancy, who unfortunately passed away last night, the film is a contemporary action thriller set in the present day. The original story, written by David Koepp, follows a young Jack as he uncovers a financial terrorist plot.

ZioOw8z.jpg

Not sure it's a good idea for Chris Pine to start spreading himself all over the place with big roles - he's Captain Kirk for Pete's sake, now trying to step into the Jack Ryan role too. I tell ya, sometimes I have to wonder about actors taking everything that comes their way... :)

As for Tom Clancy, his books still sit at the top of my faves list and I'm not a huge reader myself. But whenever his Jack Ryan novels (the original ones not the continued series) were out I'd get 'em and I swear I wouldn't put 'em down till I was done cover to cover. My condolences to his family and friends, as a fan I'll miss what may have come in the future but I'm glad I have a lot of content to always fall back on.

I think it's fine for him to do another big role, there won't be a new trek movie till 2015 at best.

I always pictured Jack Ryan as not so much an action hero but an office worker that gets put in action situations against his will.  More of a geeky character.

• Like 2

I always pictured Jack Ryan as not so much an action hero but an office worker that gets put in action situations against his will.  More of a geeky character.

Yeah, I agree. For me it was John Clark that was the action guy. Liev Schreiber seemed to portray Clark the best (pity it was for SOAF) in my mind. I wonder if we will see Clark in this film? On the wikipedia article for the character it says that he is going to appear, but if you check IMDB there doesn't seem to be a casting (or I missed it). Speaking of Clark, what happened to the idea of making Without Remorse in to a film?

I'll keep an eye on this. I'm still not sure what to make of Chris Pine though.

Yeah, I agree. For me it was John Clark that was the action guy. Liev Schreiber seemed to portray Clark the best (pity it was for SOAF) in my mind. I wonder if we will see Clark in this film? On the wikipedia article for the character it says that he is going to appear, but if you check IMDB there doesn't seem to be a casting (or I missed it). Speaking of Clark, what happened to the idea of making Without Remorse in to a film?

I'll keep an eye on this. I'm still not sure what to make of Chris Pine though.

When I first saw that character show up in SOAF I made a Sam Fisher/Splinter Cell connection in my head.   :)

It says it's out in December... no trailer, so either the trailer is out any day now or it be delayed till 2014.

It says it's out in December... no trailer, so either the trailer is out any day now or it be delayed till 2014.

Trailer is out later today or tomorrow :)

Trailer is out later today or tomorrow :)

O really? if so, you're the man!!!! good news!! good to see how Chris Pine does as Mr Ryan. Be good to see a more mature/darker side of Chris Pine.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. :(

It looks like an entertaining film in itself, but why did they feel the need to use Tom Clancy's characters? From the feel of that trailer you could have just made up different names and no one would really know that it was supposed to be in the Ryanverse. But who knows, maybe I will be pleasantly suprised...I really hope so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They're using Tom Clancy characters because people know the name and the characters from either reading the books or watching one of the other movies.   It's more of a sure bet that it'll draw in viewers than if they had just used different characters and some generic title.