Is There a Way to Prevent Chrome from Remembering History?

I have been using Google Chrome as my main browser for almost two years now. Unfortunately, there is still no option to prevent the logging of history. Sure, there is Incognito if I want to prevent the logging of nearly everything. I want my cache and cookies to remain there, just no browsing history. I have an extension called Always Clear Downloads which does just that for my downloads. Until a month or two ago when the extensions stopped working, I was using No History. This did exactly what I wanted. There was also another extension with the same name that functioned the same. Now that the past few versions have broken these and the developers are unable to update their work, I am not left with many options that I know of.

There were a few files in %APPDATA% that apparently when locked would prevent history logging. This does not seem to work for me either. All it did was corrupt my Chrome profile, lol. Do I have any other options that I have missed? I am not quite fond of Click&Clean, History Eraser and others that simply delete the history after exiting the browser (or after clicking a button).

Thanks in advance. :)

Weird. When I first read this I thought, "Duh, you just go into settings....then.... advanced settings.........then.... umm..... hmm.... there should be something..... what the hell, how do you disable history......................ah screw it, I know!"

Astropheed's guide on how to disable History on Google Chrome:

1) Open Google Chrome (See, we're using Google Chrome)

2) Navigate to Mozilla.org

3) Download and Install Firefox

4) Set Firefox to clear History when you exit it

:)

I am not aware of such features in chrome itself. However, I ran into this Slimjet project from http://www.slimjet.com a couple of months ago. It's a new project derived from Google chrome. It looks the feature you are looking is on their feature list. You can keep an eye on this project if you bother to wait.  They do have some other interesting feature as well.

I have been using Google Chrome as my main browser for almost two years now. Unfortunately, there is still no option to prevent the logging of history. Sure, there is Incognito if I want to prevent the logging of nearly everything. I want my cache and cookies to remain there, just no browsing history. I have an extension called Always Clear Downloads which does just that for my downloads. Until a month or two ago when the extensions stopped working, I was using No History. This did exactly what I wanted. There was also another extension with the same name that functioned the same. Now that the past few versions have broken these and the developers are unable to update their work, I am not left with many options that I know of.

There were a few files in %APPDATA% that apparently when locked would prevent history logging. This does not seem to work for me either. All it did was corrupt my Chrome profile, lol. Do I have any other options that I have missed? I am not quite fond of Click&Clean, History Eraser and others that simply delete the history after exiting the browser (or after clicking a button).

Thanks in advance. :)

which also prevents it remembering passwords and several other things. 

I use Lastpass for my passwords and I enable extensions for Incognito mode. I always surf in incognito mode myself. 

Weird. When I first read this I thought, "Duh, you just go into settings....then.... advanced settings.........then.... umm..... hmm.... there should be something..... what the hell, how do you disable history......................ah screw it, I know!"

Nitin's guide on how to disable History on Google Chrome:

1) Open IE

2) Go to Internet Options

3) Select Clear Browsing history on exit

If you don't have Windows, get Windows license :D

Downgrading isn't always the best choice though.

try this extension, i havent tested it though

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clickclean/ghgabhipcejejjmhhchfonmamedcbeod

Enable the ?Delete private data when Chrome closes? option under the Extra settings.

I am not quite fond of Click&Clean, History Eraser and others that simply delete the history after exiting the browser (or after clicking a button).

I used Firefox for years and still keep it as my backup browser. However, some of the Chrome extensions I use just do not have equal counterparts in Firefox. That is still a strange thing to say as what kept me using Firefox so long was all of the add-ons.

Anyway Actual way is by-default enable "Incognito" mode

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-start-google-chrome-in-incognito-mode-by-default/

Thanks, but what HawkMan said is the issue I have with that.

which also prevents it remembering passwords and several other things. 

So if you want to keep using "chrome" download the latest Opera browser. 

I suppose I could try the latest Opera out. Hopefully there is a Chrome theme for it like FxChrome in Firefox. :p

I am not aware of such features in chrome itself. However, I ran into this Slimjet project from http://www.slimjet.com a couple of months ago. It's a new project derived from Google chrome. It looks the feature you are looking is on their feature list. You can keep an eye on this project if you bother to wait.  They do have some other interesting feature as well.

Seems to have some decent changes. I will give it a shot when it goes live.

Downgrading isn't always the best choice though.

Subjective.

I primarily use Chrome but there is merit in Firefox (and, in my opinion to a lesser extent, Opera). It's not a downgrade; it's different. I hope you were just being funny, because if you weren't, that's an ignorant thing to say. 

Subjective.

I primarily use Chrome but there is merit in Firefox (and, in my opinion to a lesser extent, Opera). It's not a downgrade; it's different. I hope you were just being funny, because if you weren't, that's an ignorant thing to say. 

Agreed. I like the extensions in Firefox much better and use it from time to time because of that.

Been using Chrome for a bit, and I use "Incognito" mode often, unfortunately, it still saves your history, google sync is both a blessing and a curse...