I really tried liking Windows 8

Should've installed 8.1. You can disable the charms bar in an option.

Found a way in registry!

Can I update to Windows 8.1 easily like a service pack or is it better to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 ?

Found a way in registry!

Can I update to Windows 8.1 easily like a service pack or is it better to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 ?

You can mount the 8.1 iso and do an in-place upgrade, like I did.

Found a way in registry!

If you are running Win8 you will have the option on the 18th of October to update to Win8.1 through the store for free.

Everything (files, settings, apps,..) should move along nicely

I don't know if you will be able to download a stand alone installer, or if it will only be possible through the store (Anybody?)

since sooner or later i have to get to know windows 8, i put it back in and have been using for a week now. The way i have it setup (it was fast and easy), its like its Windows 7 with a extra "Metro App" should i want to use Metro. :) I used the free start button add on from iobit. From there, the settings allow me to boot striaght to desktop. I tried out the Metro thing, and while it does have its uses, i typically am always in desktop mode. Some of the metro apps are indeed great. Mail, Ebay, Netflix extra are all full screen awesome-ness. Point that I am trying to make is, IF you prefer windows 7, then just download the start menu addon from Iobit, then have it skip metro features. You will have all the benefits of both windows 8 AND windows 7 all in one then.

Really OP? So even from a desktop-landian's perspective you would miss out on the following:

• Built in ISO mounting/burning
  • Enhanced file transfer dialog with real time graph for speeds
  • Much more powerful explorer ui with easier to access options
  • Proper dual monitor support
  • Faster boot time
  • Faster install time
  • Improved task manager with more details
  • Improved search
  • Client Hyper-v, a very powerful hypervisor

I really dislike adding features on one-time experiences, but I really admire the fact that I also didn't have to reinstall all my programs, change my settings, and whatnot all over the place upgrading from 7 to 8. Probably the most seamless upgrade experience (on Windows) I've seen yet. :)

Personally, and this may sound stupid, the biggest thing I like about Windows 8 is this hotkey: Win+X :wub:

I'm really curious as to how Stardock has been handling as a business in terms of the software they offer, since we've began with Windows 8 and all conveniences they've offered.

I always do clean installs. but I had no issues with my programs, even going from windows 7 to the server version of 8, Server 2012.

OP I think you will definitely like 8.1. It improves the user experience a lot.

I also keep hearing people say metro apps suck on the desktop,because they feel they "lose control" because of full screen apps, but theres a killer feature in there for desktop use,and it is snap view. this works ridiculously well. I always have something snapped when im doing something on the desktop. it really does increase productivity,not hamper it. 

How is snapping better or more useful than just having windowed applications?

Really I still think that the metro model belongs on tablets. It works very well there, but on the desktop, I just don't get it.

Really I still think that the metro model belongs on tablets. It works very well there, but on the desktop, I just don't get it.

The way metro apps are developed, snapping guarantees that they're still usable even when taking up 1/3rd or 1/4 of the screen. This is not necessarily true for desktop applications, a good portion of which simply aren't built for scaling to very big (ex. usually DPI scaling is terrible) or very small sizes.

For instance, sometimes I want to watch a movie, and chat with my friend about it as we watch it simultaneously. I pull up messaging on the side and Media Player Classic on the desktop, and done. Messaging is clean and usable in the small space, and it took less than two seconds to set up.

• Like 2

1.scales perfectly

2.you don't have to waste time resizing every new window you open

3.you have to minimize the window on the desktop if you want to access icons or other stuff behind it on the desktop

4.more useable space for content,as no menu bar,controls taking up valuable real estate

superior in every single way

1.scales perfectly

2.you don't have to waste time resizing every new window you open

3.you have to minimize the window on the desktop if you want to access icons or other stuff behind it on the desktop

4.more useable space for content,as no menu bar,controls taking up valuable real estate

superior in every single way

Now now. I don't mind the snapping, but I wouldn't say it's superior in every single way.

Let me present a use case. Say I was copying nmbers and stuff from a website. I got my Notepad++ on the left and the website on the right. Suddenly I need to do a calculation, but I'd like to see both windows for reference.

If everything was Metro, I would have to go back to the start screen, click the Calculator app, then shove it to an edge that I want, which will also resize the other apps and force them to reflow their information. If I was doing this on the desktop, Calculator would merely start up on top of the other windows and take up a tiny square by default. When I'm done, I just click on any other window to put the Calculator in the foreground. Easy and convenient for my quick tasks.

As a person that does a lot of quick tasks, usually simultaneously, I will not be abandoning the desktop anytime soon, but then I don't need to with Windows 8 either.

OP just never use Metro and then Windows 8 is good. Never use Metro versions of apps and always launch everything from desktop mode. Install StartIsBack or a similar start menu app. Works well for me and now I prefer it to 7. If you try to use Metro and run apps from there it's awful though.