Shots at US capital

ABC/NBC: Female driver tried to ram her car into White House gate, Secret Service then chased her to Capitol Hill

Ugh. Source tells ABC News child found unhurt in car of possible suspect in US Capitol shooting. :|

Ugh. Source tells ABC News child found unhurt in car of possible suspect in US Capitol shooting. :|

Great to see how quickly the police are willing to open fire without properly assessing the situation again.

Great to see how quickly the police are willing to open fire without properly assessing the situation again.

If someone is going to ram a secure location gate, you are trained to fire..... there is no stop check and wait

• Like 2

While that may be the case, you are equally as quick to jump to the conclusion that they didn't. A vehicle is a deadly weapon and it isn't the police that put the child in the situation in the first place.

While that may be the case, you are equally as quick to jump to the conclusion that they didn't. A vehicle is a deadly weapon and it isn't the police that put the child in the situation in the first place.

It's already been reported that they found a child in the car they didn't know was there. But you're right, the driver may have been the first to put the child in danger. Just sounds like a mess of misinformation so far though.

I'm watching this on Fox News, the reporting is just cringe worthy.

I understand they don't have all the information yet, but stop guessing and just throwing anything you hear to the screen.

And just to make sure they make no false claims, or can't be caught saying something wrong, they keep using these constructions that make it really hard to understand them.

Just report what you know, and come back later to it when you got some real details, instead of yapping on and on, repeating the same thing over and over.

Considering she was ramming a White House gate you don't wait to check, you shoot.

Considering she was ramming a White House gate you don't wait to check, you shoot.

Except that's not what is being reported at all. There's a big difference in ramming the White House gate and trying to get past a road barrier, which is what is being reported. Then apparently they took off in a car chase so they authorized the use of force. That's a little quick to me because then you find out something like they did, a child was in the car they were shooting at, but hey, maybe I'm the crazy one for thinking people don't always have to be shot to resolve situations.

I'm not saying anything at all about the suspect being innocent, and they very likely did put many people including the child in danger by taking off and running through red lights, but this still never used to be a case of shooting the person. It's all a part of the state of fear we live in, especially in areas like the capital now. Oh well, the kid is alright at least.

• Like 2

Yikes. ABC News is reporting that "Someone tried to ram gate at the White House, then fled to Capitol Hill. Shots were fired, but unclear by whom."

Yeah they did at the White house and I think it ended on Capitol Hill. The question now, his how this could have happened. I have been to the States and Okay a lot has changed since I was last there. but to get near the White House it takes some doing.

I think somebody is going to lose their job over this because this should have never happened.

Except that's not what is being reported at all. There's a big difference in ramming the White House gate and trying to get past a road barrier, which is what is being reported. Then apparently they took off in a car chase so they authorized the use of force. That's a little quick to me because then you find out something like they did, a child was in the car they were shooting at, but hey, maybe I'm the crazy one for thinking people don't always have to be shot to resolve situations.

I'm not saying anything at all about the suspect being innocent, and they very likely did put many people including the child in danger by taking off and running through red lights, but this still never used to be a case of shooting the person. It's all a part of the state of fear we live in, especially in areas like the capital now. Oh well, the kid is alright at least.

She rammed something she shouldn't have, otherwise the Secret Service would never have gotten involved.

I think somebody is going to lose their job over this because this should have never happened.

Sounds like someone needs to lose their job that they weren't doing properly over this.

yeah she wasn't going to be ramming the iron rod gate that fences the white house, you have to get through a few security rings before that, but still she was ramming a perimeter bollard in an attempt to get through, to the secrete service that's still a no wait situation

I'm watching this on Fox News, the reporting is just cringe worthy.

I understand they don't have all the information yet, but stop guessing and just throwing anything you hear to the screen.

And just to make sure they make no false claims, or can't be caught saying something wrong, they keep using these constructions that make it really hard to understand them.

Just report what you know, and come back later to it when you got some real details, instead of yapping on and on, repeating the same thing over and over.

Fox News is just a load of crap reporting, maybe 2/10 they actually have all the facts in a matter, but they would rather publish their own news stories anyways, regardless of it being tangible or not...

• Like 1

Not surprising. The response by police to most situations in the US is what amounts to little less than a firing squad.

Would be no different over here if someone tried to ram into downing street or other such places.

• Like 2

Would be no different over here if someone tried to ram into downing street or other such places.

I disagree. As we saw with the murder of Lee Rigby the police use firearms only as a last resort and make great efforts to use non-lethal force - despite the attackers having knives and guns they were taken down with non-lethal shots only after they charged at police. In the US they'd have been shot dead on sight and nobody would have even batted an eyelid.

Okay, just one more and I'll drop the topic. Let's just say I'm playing the devil's advocate here. They keep saying they didn't know what she was doing, why she was acting and driving the way she was, or what her motive was, so they had to act is if it was a worst case situation. Now the location has a lot to do with the situation and how the events unfolded, I understand that, but since when do we jump straight to shoot first and ask questions later, and if it's geographically based at the capitol, where are the limits to our police shooting first and asking questions later? Running from the police has never been a shoot to kill on the spot situation, trust me, I've watched Cops enough times, haha. This is what fear, fueled in a large part by our media, has done to people in this country. I think it's fairly safe to say that at least our capitol has gone full on police state, which I suppose at this point isn't entirely unexpected, but it's scary to think about this as it slowly spreads to other parts of the country. Do we as a society consider this a necessity in this day and age and acceptable? If someone runs from the police, should this be immediately considered a potential terrorist situation and handled in any way possible? Does it depend on where it happens?

Also, that video posted above shows police at the windows of both sides of the car before it pulls away and they start shooting. They "didn't know there was a child in the car"?? That seems highly unlikely from the look of that video. The first thing and officer does when approaching a vehicle is to entirely assess the situation and see who is in the vehicle. It's not clear who shot though and if an officer who wasn't near the window initiated the shooting.

I'm not saying how the police responded was entirely or even at all wrong. We still don't really have the information to make that judgement, I'm just offering up the question. I'm genuinely curious how others feel about this.

• Like 2

well come on guys lets be honest everyone not happy that the  gov is partially shutdown, and if you say yes then I feel sorry for you if you are happy that the gov is partially shutdown.The only difference is people don't go the extra step like this person did and actually do something in a negative way about it;.

Not surprising. The response by police to most situations in the US is what amounts to little less than a firing squad.

Hmm, i am sorry, but that woman was using her car as a weapon.....you dont want to get shot, follow the orders of the police officers, dont run, dont fight, dont screw with them!!!!!  and ohh yeah, speeding down on a car near the white house? shes lucky a tank wasnt near by to shoot her down, because thats what should have been done!!!

Sorry, i dont condone violence when not needed, but come on! You act stupid just a few yards away from the white house, what do you expect? a gift?!!!

That was crazy seeing all the police on TV in Washington DC. I really want to know what exactly happened.