Can't copy m4r ringtones to my mom's iPhone 5?

So my brother emailed my mom some Apple m4r ringtone files.  I imported them into iTunes (latest version as of today), and they show up under the 'tones' section of the computer's library.  I click 'sync', and iTunes goes through the 5 step process of syncing the iPhone (running iOS 6).  But the ringtones never show up on the iphone.  After syncing is done, i click the 'iphone' button, and then i click 'on this phone', and then 'tones', and there's nothing!  it says zero items!  Yet the tones are still on the local library, they just refuse to sync.  

I really dont understand how to use iTunes, so I am probably doing something very obviously wrong.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!  But i read this first step:

2. Click on DEVICES -> APPS -> scroll down to FILE SHARING -> highlight the tones you wish to sync -> click on the SAVE TO button at the bottom and save this, for easy access, to a file (maybe title it My Ringtones) on your desktop.

But I can't find the "devices" button to click on.  I have an 'apps' tab, but when I clicked on that, there is no 'file sharing' to scroll down to.  Is this guide for on the computer version of iTunes or on the iPhone itself?

Do you have "Sync Tones" checked in iTunes?

Yep, that was one of the things someone told me to try.  But 'tones' is checked.  They are in my library, i click sync, but the tones do not sync.

Yep, that was one of the things someone told me to try.  But 'tones' is checked.  They are in my library, i click sync, but the tones do not sync.

Do the tones play if you try to play them in iTunes?

Try Wondershare Mobilego for iOS. iTunes sucks on Windows.

Is that an app for the iPhone?  What will that do, let me copy the file over the network and open it in iTunes on the iPhone itself?

Do the tones play if you try to play them in iTunes?

Yep, they play just fine in iTunes.

Is that an app for the iPhone?  What will that do, let me copy the file over the network and open it in iTunes on the iPhone itself?

Its a Windows program. You use it instead of iTunes on your PC. There are a LOT of different programs that are better than iTunes - CopyTrans, iExplorer, Sharepod, MediaMonkey.

So my brother emailed my mom some Apple m4r ringtone files.  I imported them into iTunes (latest version as of today), and they show up under the 'tones' section of the computer's library.  I click 'sync', and iTunes goes through the 5 step process of syncing the iPhone (running iOS 6).  But the ringtones never show up on the iphone.  After syncing is done, i click the 'iphone' button, and then i click 'on this phone', and then 'tones', and there's nothing!  it says zero items!  Yet the tones are still on the local library, they just refuse to sync.  

I really dont understand how to use iTunes, so I am probably doing something very obviously wrong.  Any help would be appreciated!

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly to me.  If they are showing up as "Tones" in your computers library, and you have "Sync Tones" checked along with "All tones" selected for your iPhone then you should be setup right.  Those tones should be sync'd with your iPhone...

You running the latest version of iTunes?  There was a bug fix update pushed yesterday (I think).  Is other stuff syncing ok?

• 1 year later...

Hi! You can copy m4r ringtones to iPhone without using iTunes, just try out WALTR(there are versions for Windows and Mac) WALTR transfers all the media formats in a matter of seconds with no need to convert or sync. The best for those, who don't like to look into complicated apps like me. Definitely recommend! Check it out here softorino.com/waltr

Did you just revive a 2 year old thread to post this? Hmm suspicious

Hi! You can copy m4r ringtones to iPhone without using iTunes, just try out WALTR(there are versions for Windows and Mac) WALTR transfers all the media formats in a matter of seconds with no need to convert or sync. The best for those, who don't like to look into complicated apps like me. Definitely recommend! Check it out here softorino.com/waltr

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • George P locked this topic