Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

'SimCity' may get an offline mode after all

21 posts in this topic

Posted

'SimCity' may get an offline mode after all

SimCity may finally drop the online-only requirement that brought the game to a grinding halt for many players during its launch week. The game's developer, Maxis, originally said that SimCity had to be played online in order to offload certain strenuous work into the cloud, but doing so meant that players couldn't run the game if they didn't have an internet connection or

Posted

What a bunch of idiots.

1 person likes this

Posted

this whole online mode with all the launch problems completely killed my interest in Sim City

Posted

I didn't buy it for the sole reason for it being online only.

But now after 6-7 months, the game with its small city size is not cool anymore.

Hopefully they realize the mistake and dont implement this offensive DRM in Sims 4.

Posted

Hopefully consumer pushback will kill off this "always-online" DRM insanity.

Posted

It is too late. I still like the game though.

Posted

same, skipped it because the online-only mode.   My wife loves simcity, but reading about it and the problems just ruined it.

and the small city size....

Posted

"order to offload certain strenuous work into the cloud"

What kind of strenuous work?  Obviously not too important since now high latency is the primary factor.

Posted

I've yet to purchase an "online-only" game.  At this rate, SimCity will be in the bargain bin by the time I get it.

Posted

What kind of strenuous work?  Obviously not too important since now high latency is the primary factor.

It's pretty much just bulls**t they were going on about.

1 person likes this

Posted

I refuse to buy it until they add offline, even if it means never. Simcity has always been a solitary game, just like Civ5. There's no need to force the online capabilities for the sake of DRM and social features that I don't care for.

Posted

I understand exactly what you all are saying but it didn't stop me from having well over 400 hours of fun time in Simcity 5!

Though I still think it could of been a lot better.

Posted

Making this even more desired.... 

Posted

Must admit I didn't bother with this and the online problems were the reason

Posted

If they do this, I might consider it. Played SC 3000, 3000 Unlimited, SC4 and Societies. Liked all of them (SC4 more so than the others).

And they must at least allow an option for a "medium" sized city. Right now, it's more like Sim Neighbourhood than Sim City. 

Posted

If they do this, I might consider it. Played SC 3000, 3000 Unlimited, SC4 and Societies. Liked all of them (SC4 more so than the others).

And they must at least allow an option for a "medium" sized city. Right now, it's more like Sim Neighbourhood than Sim City.

Unfortunately bigger cities won't be coming. The SimCity blog link I have in the OP states: "After months of testing, I confirm that we will not be providing bigger city sizes. The system performance challenges we encountered would mean that the vast majority of our players wouldn

Posted

In other words, they didn't want to spend the money necessary to rework the engine into being able to provide larger cities. An investment that probably would have got them more money. Too bad they didn't license the Cryengine as the fan made video of "sim city on cryengine" looked amazing.

Posted

In other words, they didn't want to spend the money necessary to rework the engine into being able to provide larger cities. An investment that probably would have got them more money. Too bad they didn't license the Cryengine as the fan made video of "sim city on cryengine" looked amazing.

There is always the possibility they will introduce larger cities in the next Sim City as a means to have a cash grab.

Posted

I don't know, if the performance of my system is any indication, this may be something I believe. I have a Mac mini (2.7 Core i7, 16GB of RAM, SSD & an AMD Radeon HD 6630M) and if I get a city with anymore than 50K citizens, I can never zoom out or even go to the Region view because it slows the system down so much that I can do anything. I want bigger cities too, but even as small as they are, the game is a major resource hog.

Also, my game settings are turned to low on everything and the slowness is still a major issue (but only when zoomed out, not zoomed in).

Posted

Hopefully they realize the mistake and dont implement this offensive DRM in Sims 4.

They already said they won't.

Having up to 16 people in a region at the same time and keeping them all in sync and processing their effects on eachother, mainly.  The actual in-city processing is done locally.

I'm not sure on traffic since they do commute to other cities.  Probably most of it is local unless your city is lacking.

Posted

Consumer win in EA world?..... pop a champagne

post-56913-0-31170700-1381159160.jpg